Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 9:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So it's their fault when you think that you look "... ugly and fat and stupid or something". Don't you own your thoughts?
Yes, but if people left me alone and stopped looking at me as though I'm ugly and stupid ... I don't deserve to be glared at ...
What makes you think they're glaring at you? What's the difference between just looking at you, and looking at you like you are ugly and stupid? No one can make you think or feel anything without your cooperation.
And if they are actually glaring....all the blame should not be shifted onto the person who experiences the negative feelings because of it.

If they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you. Otherwise, people who don't like being looked at would be better off not being seen in the first place.

Or maybe people should not single out one individual to treat like crap....I got those kinds of looks all the time a lot when I was in middle and highschool...and even now in certain situations(not as much as a lot of adults are a bit more mature then that.) But yeah further isolating ones self from the world is probably not the best way to deal with it..........though it can seem appealing at times.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

If people are looking at you strangely, smile and wave. It embarasses them and lets them know that you won't let them intimidate you. Even if you are intimidated, do it anyway; they can't read your mind.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So it's their fault when you think that you look "... ugly and fat and stupid or something". Don't you own your thoughts?
Yes, but if people left me alone and stopped looking at me as though I'm ugly and stupid ... I don't deserve to be glared at ...
What makes you think they're glaring at you? What's the difference between just looking at you, and looking at you like you are ugly and stupid? No one can make you think or feel anything without your cooperation.
And if they are actually glaring....all the blame should not be shifted onto the person who experiences the negative feelings because of it.
If they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you. Otherwise, people who don't like being looked at would be better off not being seen in the first place.

Or maybe people should not single out one individual to treat like crap....I got those kinds of looks all the time a lot when I was in middle and highschool...and even now in certain situations(not as much as a lot of adults are a bit more mature then that.)

Being looked at, stared at, or glared at does no harm, and people who are bothered by it are bothered only because they let it bother them.

Sweetleaf wrote:
But yeah further isolating ones self from the world is probably not the best way to deal with it..........though it can seem appealing at times.

These are the choices: (1) Hide away where no one can see you (easy); (2) Stop letting it bother you (easier); or (3) Let others control how you feel (easiest).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 03 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
If people are looking at you strangely, smile and wave. It embarasses them and lets them know that you won't let them intimidate you. Even if you are intimidated, do it anyway; they can't read your mind.

Hmm that would be something to try.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Or maybe people should not single out one individual to treat like crap....I got those kinds of looks all the time a lot when I was in middle and highschool...and even now in certain situations(not as much as a lot of adults are a bit more mature then that.)

Being looked at, stared at, or glared at does no harm, and people who are bothered by it are bothered only because they let it bother them.

Sweetleaf wrote:
But yeah further isolating ones self from the world is probably not the best way to deal with it..........though it can seem appealing at times.

These are the choices: (1) Hide away where no one can see you (easy); (2) Stop letting it bother you (easier); or (3) Let others control how you feel (easiest).

Ok so if people give me nasty looks, it is my fault if it makes me feel a little down? maybe that sort of thinking works for you, but i my opinion it can be pretty painful when people go out of their way to try and make me feel bad...and apparently it is painful for others to.

I spent most of my life trying to supress my feelings...in an effort to 'not let it bother me' that tends not to work out so well. I guess if I had some more confidence it might be easier to actually be less effected....

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2011, 12:03 am

Thats the best way to be I'm proud of you and the achievements that you have achieved.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:22 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ok so if people give me nasty looks, it is my fault if it makes me feel a little down?

Yes, I think it is. I have obvious physical defects that make me look like a sideshow freak. People stare, point, and make awful comments. It used to bother me, and make me want to hide from the world, but I guess I just grew out of letting it bother me.

Sweetleaf wrote:
maybe that sort of thinking works for you, but...

It works for a lot of people - some even enjoy the extra attention.

Sweetleaf wrote:
in my opinion it can be pretty painful when people go out of their way to try and make me feel bad...and apparently it is painful for others to.

It can be ... if you let it.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I spent most of my life trying to supress my feelings...in an effort to 'not let it bother me' that tends not to work out so well. I guess if I had some more confidence it might be easier to actually be less effected....

Where will you get that confidence ... by letting others control your feelings? Here's a clue: some people enjoy making others feel uncomfortable because they know they can. Seeing someone's face go from smiles to tears is their way of "getting off". Once they know that one particular person is a cry-baby, they will zero in on that person and see just how far they can push them.

No one can make you feel anything without your cooperation, and once they know you will cooperate, they'll keep coming back for their own amusement. Stop cooperating, and they will eventually go away.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 04 Sep 2011, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:25 am

Fnord said: "If they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you. Otherwise, people who don't like being looked at would be better off not being seen in the first place."

This advice doesn't work. With predators, the burn in their eyes will soon explode into open acts of assault. There are laws against such extended conduct including staring, while a select few have the means to seek enforcement, those with the means do try for enforcement (interference with duties is typically cited, while those with the indirect means rely on stalking laws).

Who Am I said: "If people are looking at you strangely, smile and wave. It embarasses them and lets them know that you won't let them intimidate you. Even if you are intimidated, do it anyway; they can't read your mind."

This seldom works. It often aggravates attack, with the attacker then claiming that enticement incited the attack.

Fnord said: "Plus, I don't waste time whining about my condition, how the world is unfair, personal snubs, or any of the other useless topics that seem to obsess most Aspies."

Before, which technique did you use to determine which aspects of impairments from autism that were not subject to being unacceptable by the self? Since the law told me that I was obligated not to endanger the public good by engaging in activities that were made very dangerous to myself, and other individuals, by my impairments, no legal choice was available, and such had to be accepted, despite the temptation by any rugged individualistic hardscrabble nonsensical American Cowboy philosophies of life.

In Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), utilization of the time to determine which aspects of impairments are best accepted as necessarily present due to reality and the limits of the medical sciences, is very important. Self-reflection to determine what must be accepted and what may be accommodated is far from "whining", "filling a pity-pot", and/or voiding all the laws and regulations against discrimination in the Social Contract. If any would-be John Wayne thinks the absence of feathers isn't going to prevent his ill attempted free flight, he's going to have an unpleasant impact with reality, and will probably be subjected to involuntary protective custody.

Fnord said: "No one can make you think or feel anything without your cooperation."

Ever hear of "brainwashing" and "subliminal manipulation"? I know from experience that assault and battery is definitely felt, as included in a "feeling". Then, something is incompatible with "If you can read this post in English, then thank a Veteran", if all contraries necessarily require "your cooperation".

Fnord said: "These are the choices: (1) Hide away where no one can see you (easy); (2) Stop letting it bother you (easier); or (3) Let others control how you feel (easiest)."

Avoidance often is not practical, nor with the desired results. Inappropriate response to the social conduct of other people is already at issue across the entire "spectrum of autism", and "absence of response" is also already an element to be corrected of the issue (the sets of social interactions again already include mutual reinforcements).

Tadzio

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:30 am

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ok so if people give me nasty looks, it is my fault if it makes me feel a little down?

Yes, I think it is. I have obvious physical defects that make me look like a sideshow freak. People stare, point, and make awful comments. It used to bother me, and make me want to hide from the world, but I guess I just grew out of letting it bother me.

Sweetleaf wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:
in my opinion it can be pretty painful when people go out of their way to try and make me feel bad...and apparently it is painful for others to.

Sweetleaf wrote:

Where will you get that confidence; by letting others control your feelings? Here's a clue: some people enjoy making others feel uncomfortable because they know they can. Seeing someone's face go from smiles to tears is their way of "getting off". Once they know that one particular person is a cry-baby, they will zero in on that person and see just how far they can push them.

No one can make you feel anything without your cooperation, and once they know you will cooperate, they'll keep coming back for their own amusement. Stop cooperating, and they will eventually go away.

Ok how can I make it not be painful if someone decides to glare at me or do something else in an attempt to make me feel bad? if I could just not let it I would but clearly it does not work that way for me...I can supress it but then it all builds up until I happen to have a bad day and then totally overreact to that.

I feel like you are trying to justify the sort of behavior that has been directed at me and others...I don't feel it is my fault if I feel bad when people treat me like crap...that is a natural human reaction I am pretty sure, and I am not a robot so it happens. It is always nice to find coping stratgedies but that does not get rid of the emotional reaction to negative treatment from others...

Also having depression and no self confidence can make it even more difficult to deal with things like that, clearly you don't have those issues.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:34 am

Tadzio, please learn how to use the quote function. Your post is difficult to follow.

But the gist of it seems to come from a limited social environment. I've lived in ghettos, on the street, in military barracks, in suburban homes, and even on board ships at sea. The truth of the matter is that people will always try to see how far they can push you, and that if you show them that their "pushing" does not matter to you, they will eventually go away.

Of course, there are those few who will be determined to make you miserable, or even kill you for no reason. That's just how it is. But that does not mean that you should cringe and cry every time someone stares at you. Stare back. Wave. Take their picture. Laugh. Do anything other than let them see that they own you through your emotions.

As for staring being illegal, please cite the actual legal code where this is stated - Sharia Law does not count, as that is an aberration on human morals.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:35 am

"Here's a clue: some people enjoy making others feel uncomfortable because they know they can. Seeing someone's face go from smiles to tears is their way of "getting off". Once they know that one particular person is a cry-baby, they will zero in on that person and see just how far they can push them."

Do you like to join the others in zeroing in on that one person? People who get off from pushing other people to the edge have a freaking problem...and that one person everyone zeros in on usually cannot handle it......Yes I can admit I was that one person(not really a cry baby, I mean I guess on occasion it would get so bad I might cry but children do that.) but I was the designated target.

from my perspective there is no way to justify that kind of crap.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:52 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Where will you get that confidence; by letting others control your feelings? Here's a clue: some people enjoy making others feel uncomfortable because they know they can. Seeing someone's face go from smiles to tears is their way of "getting off". Once they know that one particular person is a cry-baby, they will zero in on that person and see just how far they can push them. No one can make you feel anything without your cooperation, and once they know you will cooperate, they'll keep coming back for their own amusement. Stop cooperating, and they will eventually go away.

Ok how can I make it not be painful if someone decides to glare at me ... ?

No invisible pain rays emit from their eyes. C'mon ... Being looked at causes no "pain" until you notice that you are being looked at! The pain is all in your imagination. Their "Glaring" can't hurt you, either. Think of them in their underwear ... torn, soiled underwear ... stained both front and back ... and try not to laugh too loud ...

Sweetleaf wrote:
or do something else in an attempt to make me feel bad?

Like what? I can see if they try to physically or verbally abuse you, but looking? Looking. Can't. Hurt. You.

Sweetleaf wrote:
if I could just not let it I would but clearly it does not work that way for me...I can supress it but then it all builds up until I happen to have a bad day and then totally overreact to that.

Well, there you go! If you can suppress it, then it is a purely internal situation - it is your response to their action, and not their action that causes "pain".

Sweetleaf wrote:
I feel like you are trying to justify the sort of behavior that has been directed at me and others...I don't feel it is my fault if I feel bad when people treat me like crap...that is a natural human reaction I am pretty sure, and I am not a robot so it happens. It is always nice to find coping stratgedies but that does not get rid of the emotional reaction to negative treatment from others...

Being looked at is not being "treated like crap" - being abused, discriminated against, and beaten is, and there is no justification for such abuse. If you don't want to be looked at, then there is always the Burqa...

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also having depression and no self confidence can make it even more difficult to deal with things like that, clearly you don't have those issues.

Not any more. Oh, I still get depressed now and then, and I've lost confidence for public performance, but it is nothing like it was when I was a child. Growing up and accepting ownership of my own thoughts and feelings (and not those of others) made all of the difference.

Last edited by Fnord on 04 Sep 2011, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
"Here's a clue: some people enjoy making others feel uncomfortable because they know they can. Seeing someone's face go from smiles to tears is their way of "getting off". Once they know that one particular person is a cry-baby, they will zero in on that person and see just how far they can push them." Do you like to join the others in zeroing in on that one person?

No. I hate it when people call me stupid and try to bully or intimidate me for their own amusement. I do not join in when someone else is the target, and have stood up for co-workers against their bullying bosses, even at the risk of my own job.

Sweetleaf wrote:
People who get off from pushing other people to the edge have a freaking problem...and that one person everyone zeros in on usually cannot handle it......Yes I can admit I was that one person(not really a cry baby, I mean I guess on occasion it would get so bad I might cry but children do that.) but I was the designated target. from my perspective there is no way to justify that kind of crap.

Then we understand each other. I guess I'm trying to advise you on how to defend yourself against something that you think is intolerable, and that others seem to not even notice.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:59 am

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Where will you get that confidence; by letting others control your feelings? Here's a clue: some people enjoy making others feel uncomfortable because they know they can. Seeing someone's face go from smiles to tears is their way of "getting off". Once they know that one particular person is a cry-baby, they will zero in on that person and see just how far they can push them. No one can make you feel anything without your cooperation, and once they know you will cooperate, they'll keep coming back for their own amusement. Stop cooperating, and they will eventually go away.

Ok how can I make it not be painful if someone decides to glare at me ... ?

What, do invisible pain rays emit from their eyes? Are their thoughts too strong? C'mon ... Being looked at causes no "pain" until you notice that you are being looked at! The pain is all in your imagination. Their "Glaring" can't hurt you, either. Think of them in their underwear ... torn, soiled underwear ... stained both front and back ... and try not to laugh too loud ...

Sweetleaf wrote:
or do something else in an attempt to make me feel bad?

Like what ... I can see if they try to physically or verbally abuse you, but looking? Looking. Can't. Hurt. You.

Sweetleaf wrote:
if I could just not let it I would but clearly it does not work that way for me...I can supress it but then it all builds up until I happen to have a bad day and then totally overreact to that.

Well, there you go! If you can suppress it, then it is a purely internal situation - it is your response to their action, and not their action that causes "pain".

Sweetleaf wrote:

Being looked at is not being "treated like crap" - being abused, discriminated against, and beaten is, and there is no justification for such abuse. If you don't want to be looked at, then there is always the Burqa...

Sweetleaf wrote:

Not any more. Oh, I still get depressed now and then, and I've lost confidence for public performance, but it is nothing like it was when I was a child. Growing up and accepting ownership of my own thoughts and feelings (and not those of others) made all of the difference.

Well that is just one example...I am talking about when people obviously glare at you to try and get a reaction or straight up laugh at you(that was a fun experiance in 1st grade even the teacher laughed her ass off.), in general I don't really care other then the fact that it makes me severely uncomfortable like if I have an itch I can't scratch. That is what it seemed like was being described.

But yeah if someone looks in my direction I don't care, its usually more if its combined with more severe things like insults. but because of a lot of those experiances I tend to feel paranoid that people would be staring at me which can be annoying...and kind of triggers a lot of feelings related to past experiances.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 1:03 am

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
"Here's a clue: some people enjoy making others feel uncomfortable because they know they can. Seeing someone's face go from smiles to tears is their way of "getting off". Once they know that one particular person is a cry-baby, they will zero in on that person and see just how far they can push them." Do you like to join the others in zeroing in on that one person?

No. I hate it when people call me stupid and try to bully or intimidate me for their own amusement. I do not join in when someone else is the target, and have stood up for co-workers against their bullying bosses, even at the risk of my own job.

Sweetleaf wrote:
People who get off from pushing other people to the edge have a freaking problem...and that one person everyone zeros in on usually cannot handle it......Yes I can admit I was that one person(not really a cry baby, I mean I guess on occasion it would get so bad I might cry but children do that.) but I was the designated target. from my perspective there is no way to justify that kind of crap.

Then we understand each other. I guess I'm trying to advise you on how to defend yourself against something that you think is intolerable, and that others seem to not even notice.

Ok I just have no idea how not to have an emotional response if someone treats me like crap? and I don't feel like I really did anything to deserve being that outcast that was the designated target for bullying, manipulation and whatever else was thrown my way....I even tried just not socialising and reading books all the time and people still did not want to leave me alone.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 1:04 am

So it is not the looking or the glaring that really bother you, but the other actions you associate with it. That makes more sense. I still feel a small twinge of fear whenever I hear a certain noise that I associate with the beatings I used to get from my father, and it's been over 40 years since the last one. But I do not let it show - there's no sense in letting on that certain "buttons" can still be pushed, especially since my father has since died, and the fear is based only on a memory ... an old, dead memory.