Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Incendax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2011, 5:23 am

While it is not the only way to end up on the spectrum, it has recently been proven that Autism is primarily genetic.

Which members of your family display traits of being on the spectrum? Are they higher functioning or lower functioning than yourself? Did it skip a generation?

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 7:21 am

I have got a cousin who might have AS. :arrow:

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 7:57 am

Its affects many members of my family, it hasn't skipped a generation, but my son is the only confirmed diagnosis of AS. But I have lots of nieces and nephews who have many traits its most noticeable in the males. My daughter not confirmed but I suspect.

I think my husband and myself have lots of traits also so it seems to be in both families. I have many members of the family dx with schizophrenia, but I also suspect ASD. Many nephews dx with ADHD, ODD, Conduct disorder. My husband has only 1 nephew dx ADHD but I suspect ASD.

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2011, 8:10 am

Annmaria wrote:
I have many members of the family dx with schizophrenia, but I also suspect ASD.

My uncle (grandmother's brother) died in a madhouse. It was about 1950 and in my family they always kept their mouths closed regarding diagnosis. My grandmother used to tell a story about nazis chasing him and causing him to go mad. I know also that he heard voices, so maybe schizophrenia. My son has a classic autism diagnosis.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 9:14 am

Only one member of my family (besides myself) whom I know of has been confirmed to have autism. That's my maternal grandmother's nephew, whom I think has classic autism.

As for traits, my mom has told me a lot about her father (who died years before I was born). Based on what she's told me about him, he seemed like a pretty quirky guy. Also, my mom might have some autistic traits, but I doubt it'd be enough to qualify her as being on the autism spectrum.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

my uncle is schizofrene and i have 2 nephews that have some form of autism.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2011, 1:40 pm

My fathers cousin ( lfa , but could fix radios like a pro)
Father and his brother both probably diagnosable. Uncle for certain dad is on the margin.
Myself
My brotherz 1st daughter

It fing genetic.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

My husband and myself both have traits of aspergers. Both my husbands brothers have it and I reckon their dad had it too,

And both my son's have it.

Must be genetic, surely.