Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

number5
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 8:42 am

Inventor wrote:
Civil Service used to be lower pay but secure. Retirement was not as good as private, if you could hold on to a company job long enough to collect.

Now government jobs pay more than the private, have fixed benefit programs and health care. Equality is fine, but it has been declining in the private sector. The Post Office has been cutting workers when they should be cutting pay, benefits, to match the people they serve.

Also, Government is the problem with bulk mail rates set so Capital One can send me a new offer every few days. My route carrier is overloaded with non mail advertising. I do not open or recycle, it goes in the garbage can next to the mail box. Those bulk rates are like tax reductions for the rich, they just put the load on some other part of the system.

DHL did not replace the route carriers, or the Post Offices, they just charge for services. Bulk mail is most of the labor and none of the profit.

Also Post Offices do act as a Passport Office, and in Germany, Social Security, Banking, Motor Vehicles, which reduces other public costs.

Under the English system, Savings Bonds, with a part of the interest going into a pool, where bond numbers are picked, and many small lottery prizes are paid out. It gets people saving, which funds government, and produces a player paid national lottery.

I will take a Postal Money Order, but not Western Union and forget any other. Would it be that hard to cut a deal with Paypal? How about the bank to bank transfer used in Europe? Dealing with Europe was hard, as most did not take Paypal till recently.

The Post Office has offices, people I know, it could offer more services.

I once tried to ship a gas cap made in Austria fifty years ago to Canada via UPS. I gave up, went to the Post Office, no problem. UPS treated it like international cargo, I became an importer and exporter, way too much paperwork. Flat Rate Priority Mail works worldwide. Free boxes!

The Post Office could work, if it was a business. It has been regulated out of the profitable sectors by Congress. They also have some cool stamps.

Very insightful post. I hadn't even considered the bulk mail rates, which is indeed the bulk of my mail.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

Inventor wrote:

I will take a Postal Money Order, but not Western Union and forget any other. Would it be that hard to cut a deal with Paypal? How about the bank to bank transfer used in Europe? Dealing with Europe was hard, as most did not take Paypal till recently.

Would you take an American Express traveler's check? As far as I know, that is money in the bank.

ruveyn

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

TabrisAngel wrote:
I just pray in my heart that the CSRS (Civil Service Retirement System) doesn't quit sending payments out, because my dad is part of the system. He worked for the Post Office as a route worker for 32 years.

Oh, and BTW, I support the NALC and all other unions. You can't always blame everything on the workers. A lot of it is that the pension fund is overfunded while the medical insurance programme is underfunded.

You can't tell me that the private sector can do it better. The average postal worker has a good idea of the people he serves and a strong personal connection. C'mon, UPS, Fedex, and DHL, can you do better with your impersonal business methods.

One of my fathers was a letter carrier. When he died the whole town went to his funeral. So I know what you are talking about.

For three years, I had the nastiest postwoman I have ever come across. For awhile she would put those pick-up parcel slips in my mailbox instead of deliverying them to me. So I would have to walk to the post office and pick them up and she wouldn't have to do the work. When I complained, she threw my boxes at my door because she didn't want to climb the rest of the stairs to set it down. I complained again but nothing changed. Many people in my neighborhood complained about that scowl faced b---h but nothing ever happen to her.

Then one day she finally disappeared and was replaced with a respectful man who doesn't throw my boxes at my door. I really hope that nasty b---h was finally canned. Not all postal workers are the same, unfortunately they don't all have that personal connection. Some are great and others can be the postal worker from Hell. I do have other parcel services deliver here to my home and I get the same guys repeatedly, they must have routes just like postal workers. They are always nice and respectful to me and even offer to bring it inside and set it where I want them too.

Whatever happens, I hope your father's pension and other retired letter carriers' pensions aren't cut.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

honestly, it sounds like the USPS just needs more freedom to act like a business.

Like the article said, rent out add space on the trucks, replace most offices with koisks and vending machines in other stores. If you notice UPS is set up in places like Office Max. Its much less overhead that way.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

The USPS should go back into banking as it was until the late '50s I think it was.