Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

I have done voluntary work before at a few organisations and since that paid work is very difficult for me to find i am thinking to start voluntary work again to increase my confidence and boost my self esteem.

EmDaise
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm

I have been searching for volunteer work for a very long time. When I do find something that fits, they usually ask for references, which I don't have.

It sucks.

Especially since I'm trying to obtain volunteer work in order to get references. gah!

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:19 pm

EmDaise wrote:
I have been searching for volunteer work for a very long time. When I do find something that fits, they usually ask for references, which I don't have.

It sucks.

Especially since I'm trying to obtain volunteer work in order to get references. gah!

Have you tried getting a personal reference from a family friend or an old school teacher? Volunteer organizations are more likely to accept personal references than businesses.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

EmDaise
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2011, 10:36 pm

MudandStars wrote:
EmDaise wrote:

It sucks.

Have you tried getting a personal reference from a family friend or an old school teacher? Volunteer organizations are more likely to accept personal references than businesses.

Yeah, I don't even have any of those.

I have 0 references. of any kind.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 8:31 am

Tica wrote:
Since i am still job seeking i figured that i should do some more volunteer work in my free time. It is a good way to socialize with people and it stands out more on a resume. In the past i have had several types of volunteer jobs. The most recent was working in an office doing various tasks. Unfortunately right now there is no work for me to do. Out of all my experiences that would have to be my favorite. Anyone else volunteer?

Volunteering is good.

It:

- fills in gaps on your resume

- gives you experience to list on your resume

- can potentially give you networking opportunities and recommendations/references for work later on

- let's you be useful, instead of getting in the habit of sitting around doing nothing while unemployed

- helps charities you like

- let's you meet people, or learn a hobby, or do your special interest

There are plenty of volunteer opportunities that don't ask for references. Some would accept a references from a friend, and some don't ask at all. Try volunteering at the local food pantry or animal shelter-- those are less likely to want tons of references. Or, go clean a community park or start your own food pantry drive or do something that's more informal.

Or, find online volunteer opportunities.