Mental and Chronological Age disparity

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2011, 6:20 am

JWS wrote:
I believe I am still pretty young, mentally. Chronologically, I'm middle- aged (over 40), but mentally I believe I may either be in my teens or twenties. Hard to say.
But I am trying harder to act my age; act like a man my age is supposed to.
Here's hoping! :)

It's the "trying" to act my age that I find hard. I'm 26, but I feel like mentally I peaked around age 14 or 15. I have a concept of what I am supposed to act like, but I can only pull it off for short periods of time.
I mentioned this to my counsellor, and she told me to get rid of the "shoulds". That the only thing that defines how we "should" act is the boundaries within which we are comfortable at any given time.

btw...sorry it has been so long. I had a big mix up in my schedule last week, and I had a meltdown. I'm still not quite myself, it's taking a while to bounce back. I will talk to you soon though.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 6:25 am

I never liked that stuff... "get rid of your shoulds".

Being comfortable with yourself is all well and good, but how exactly are you supposed to do that when all of your peers look down on you for being different?

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2011, 10:50 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
I never liked that stuff... "get rid of your shoulds".

Being comfortable with yourself is all well and good, but how exactly are you supposed to do that when all of your peers look down on you for being different?

I agree. The answer I always get is that it is about self-acceptance, and there are too many people in the world to please them all. I do understand that though, because I have personally found the more I accept myself the way I am, the less what anyone else thinks, matters. I still struggle with this all the time though.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson