Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

My computer class has a Solaris server and be able to run the Minecraft bukkit server. Is it possible to run a minecraft bukkit server on it? If not then what Linux Distro would be the second best to run it?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

It should work fine, Solaris was made by the same people who made Java so I can't imagine it lacking a proper JVM. Any reasonable Linux distro is fine; none of them really alter the JDK from upstream so it should all be the same.

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

Thank you Orwell you made my teacher's day

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

My experience on Linux has been poor.
It can be tricky to get it to work with Java properly. It varies.
But yes, its pretty easy if it goes smoothly.

errorinspelling
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2012, 12:29 am

I know this is bumping a year old thread and not really a tech forum but It's the top google search result when trying to find info on installing a minecraft server on solaris.

And now the news.

Just out of morbid curiosity I pulled one of my ultra-sparcs out of retirement and decided to see if I could re-purpose it as a minecraft server. I really had my doubts even though I know that Java is processor independent but I was quite surprised with the results. This machine is 11 years old has 1Gb of ram 20Gb IDE Hard Drive and a 500Mhz ultra-sparc IIe Running Oracle 10. And it was not only able to start and run the server but could actually host a couple clients without crashing or extremely excessive lag. By no means was a it a ready for primetime server but Wow it really ran. I am sure that there are some tweaks I could do that would reduce the lag to a fully enjoyable experience but I was happy in my proof of concept. So what will you need if you have a sufficient machine and want to run your own Minecraft server?

1. I would recommend at least a Sparc64 2Ghz or better (Use the same Intel spec listed on minecraft wiki for Solaris X86)
2. At least a basic install of Solaris that includes the Oracle JDK (Java Developers Kit)
3. At least JDK 7 (JDK7u9 is the latest as of the time of this post)
4. Similar memory and network bandwidth specs as specified in the Minecraft server wiki page google search server minecraft wiki

Unless you have spent the tons of money it takes to have oracle automatically update your servers for you, you will have to update Java yourself. Oracles site did not give accurate instructions on updating Java and I'm work so here is the best I can do from memory.

1. Download the Java Platform (not EE, not Netbeans, etc) Oracle Java download page google search Java SE Development Kit 7 Downloads jdk-7u9 Get the version you need. For SPARC I needed the Solaris SPARC and Solaris SPARC 64 bit and I downloaded them in .gz since I already had gunzip on my machine (you may need to get the .Z compressed versions if you do not have gunzip)
2. uncompress and untar both files in the /usr/jdk/instances directory (This will expand into something like /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.7.0
3. go back to /usr/jdk and ad a symbolic link to ./instances/jdk1.7.0 (or whatever the directory is that your updated jdk extracted out to ) to ./jdk1.7.0 you should have at least another symbolic link or two for existing older versions of java as examples
4. go into /usr and remove the existing symbolic link name /usr/java and create a new one to your new lava link. for example
cd /usr
rm java
ln -s /usr/jdk/jdk1.7.0 ./java
5. There is already a symbolic link for java in /usr/bin that points to /usr/java/bin/java or something like that but it will point to the new executable when you update the /usr/jave symbolic link. Verify that you have updated Java and verify that the 64 bit extensions work with these commands
java -version
java -d64 -version
you should see the new version in the output of both and the second one should return that it is the 64bit server extension

Please dont flame me for being wrong, this is all from memory and I am away from my Solaris box at the moment. BE sure to watch the directory names as they may not be exactly the same as what I wrote here. if this helped or if you'd like me to move this info somewhere else feel free thank me or tell me to bugger off. Thank you. :)