Is it hard for Aspies to be part of the gaming community?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ghonasiflaids
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Even though NT's seem to shun video game playing to some extent, the vast majority of gamers are sadly very NT. For that reason rules don't apply differently to such communities than anywhere else.

nikki191
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2011, 9:41 am

i used to play a few mmo's and was in clans, etc for a while i say a while because i usually last 2 weeks before i cant handle it anymore and have to leave

xSuPeRxCeJaYx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2011, 7:53 am

Well I totally understand about the EVIL RUDE CRAZY FPS Gamers.
I <3 Call of Duty's and Halo's All day long lol (Also Fable Assassins Creed etc...) I have found out that if you can slip into a chill group of people just stick with em. I have had Xbox live for 4 years now and the same friends for 4 years. Its easier to just be yourself and make sure they know about the ASD in the beginning. I also find it better to not associate with people under the age of 21. I get along better with people that are older than me. They are alot more chill then those Red bull pounding , Headshot screaming , 21 and unders. lol

Steam : http://steamcommunity.com/id/supercejay/
Xbox Live: Mz CeJaY 420
PS3 : Mz_CeJaY_420

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

From my experience, yes.

Gamers are usually insecure and nerdy, and take this out on other people to make themselves feel big. I've found that the bitchiest and most immature communities I've been in are gaming ones.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

GreySun369 wrote:
I have Aspergers and I love playing video games, but I find it very difficult to be around other NT gamers on the internet. I can't really understand why because I try my hardest to be friendly when discussing my favorite games on forums, but I seem to bring out the worst in other gamers who are always openly rude to me. I think maybe it's because NTs take gaming to a more extreme level than I do. They seem to play games and discuss them as a way of showing a social status where I play them simply to have fun and escape in my own fantasy world.

Do other aspie gamers here feel that way? :?

i dislike the word "aspie".
i never play games on line. i do not care to interact with people. i like interacting with well designed AI people that want to kill me.
i like to "outwit" them and capitalize on their coding flaws and draw them into inevitably fatal actions, but real people are annoying because i very much dislike the "spiritual smell" of their "ego" (smells like spiritual B.O to me), and they play most times stupidly which confuses me because they are not where i expect they should be if they had made a smart decision as to what they would do in the scenario we are in.

i do not play with humans. i stopped that after i finished school.

Karuna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

b9 wrote:
i dislike the word "aspie".
i never play games on line. i do not care to interact with people. i like interacting with well designed AI people that want to kill me.
i like to "outwit" them and capitalize on their coding flaws and draw them into inevitably fatal actions, but real people are annoying because i very much dislike the "spiritual smell" of "ego", and they play sometimes stupidly which confuses me because they are not where i expect they should be if they had made a smart decision as to what they would do.

i do not play with humans. i stopped that after i finished school.

Playing other people is about as hard as it gets. There's only one type of games playing that i enjoy any more and that's versus people. I find that if i take a game, get good at it online against other people, then I try to play against the cpu on the hardest difficulty, I'll find it's so easy that it's boring. Challenging yourself is important in life.

When it comes to interacting with people online, i tend to gravitate towards the type that are good players but only play for fun. I refuse to take a game seriously and being around people that can't understand that annoys me. Whatever game i do play i'll usually start to steadily build up a group of people that think in the same way as me. Right now in wow ive got an awesome group of people i do battlegrounds with, we have a good handful of really regular players, we do things together constantly, but at the same time there's a very easy going attitude about things.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

Personally I don't get what's so great about online gaming with people you're never going to meet. If I'm going to play a video game with somebody I'd rather it be a person I know and have bonded with like my family or friends. Playing with complete strangers not only seems risky but takes the fun out of it because most of the time you end up teaming with as*holes who either take the game too seriously or don't take it seriously enough.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

Karuna wrote:
Challenging yourself is important in life.

yes you have a point there.
that is why i like AI opponents.

aspiesoldier
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2018, 10:14 am

GreySun369 wrote:
I have Aspergers and I love playing video games, but I find it very difficult to be around other NT gamers on the internet. I can't really understand why because I try my hardest to be friendly when discussing my favorite games on forums, but I seem to bring out the worst in other gamers who are always openly rude to me. I think maybe it's because NTs take gaming to a more extreme level than I do. They seem to play games and discuss them as a way of showing a social status where I play them simply to have fun and escape in my own fantasy world.

Do other aspie gamers here feel that way? :?

i'm a casual gamer,so yes.and aspies play a lot of video games

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2018, 9:47 pm

Where exactly are you discussing games? You're going to get trolls everywhere but the only way to deal with it is to just lean into it, or ignore it entirely. Anonymity, as is clear to everyone by now, brings out the worst in people.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:01 am

....This topic is seven years old.

Just thought I'd point that out before this dives further and gets more confusing.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm

Not at all, socializing with other players on CSGO helped my social anxiety.