I dont like babies. Any one feel the same??

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

I think babies are cute. Adorable, really. But I don't like handling them. They make me nervous.

A few months ago, I was at an event with friends and a baby of a friend was being passed around, coddled, and generally admired. I hovered around, and eventually somebody asked if I wanted to hold her. I said no, but they insisted, probably because I was hovering and admiring the little cutie. Eventually, I said something like "If I hold her, I might drop her, and that would be really bad." (I'm usually too nervous to hold a strange baby firmly, so I won't hold a strange baby unless I'm sitting down.) I got really weird, horrible looks, like I'd just suggested I might mistake her for a puff pastry and take a bite out of her. They kind of moved the baby away from me after that. : (

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2011, 2:56 am

I cannot stand babies... The smell, the noise, the randomness... I hate it when people give me babies to hold and expect me to ooh and ahh over them. Just because I'm female, it doesn't mean that I automatically like babies.

I especially hate it when people bring babies into the workplace - its most disruptive.

I don't think I'd be able to have a child, as I could not tolerate the crying, vomiting, drooling and pooing. Then when the child gets to the wandering age, touching everything with dirty hands. ewwww.

However, show me a baby animal and I'll swoon over it. I'll quite happily clean up cat litter, rabbit litter and horse manure no problem at all.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

I don't like kids, but I don't mind babies much when they're really young.

For me toddlers are the worst. They're loud and smelly, usually dirty, like to touch everything, behave badly and constantly test their limits and are really annoying in pretty much every way. They're also usually accompanied by parents who don't watch them closely enough and who think that everyone else should find them as adorable as they do.

At least babies are less mobile, constantly looked after and taken care of and they're too young to be consciously doing things to annoy people or test their limits.

Older kids vary more and a few of them are ok, but most are annoying or unpleasant for me to be around. I tend to get overwhelmed around kids because of all the noise, smells, movements, touch, attention seeking and misbehaviors.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

I never liked babies. I absolutely hate their cries too...I just cringe when I hear one crying. The worst part is getting stuck on a bus with one...it just amps up my anxiety tenfold.

Toddlers are cute though...I just want to pick them up and give them a hug! :P

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2011, 7:34 pm

I love babies! It sucks that I can't have one tho. For now I'll settle for the next best thing...working in childcare.

But srsly, I have two baby cousins (one of which was born when I was twenty the other was born last december) and I've volunteered at a few childcare places (one had toddlers aged 2-3 years and another had kids aged 4-5 years) and I've learned that in my experience working with kids the toddlers and babies are easiest while the kids who are just about to enter school for the first time are a bit mouthy, they will fight with each other over toys and start the name calling crap towards adults when they don't get their way. Now older kids (i've worked with a few of them while still in High School) will refuse to do anything productive with their time. I recall I was giving a test to this third grader and he was so bored he tried just about everything to stop the test.
And TEENAGERS oh my goodness, u talk about a thrill ride. I knew one guy in school who faked a current events paper for history class and our teacher at the time actually liked it not knowing it was fake. Not to mention I currently live next to a high school and since school has started here, all the students go home at the same time IN HERDS 8O and some of them don't pay attention to the road, some of them will jaywalk across the street in traffic. One time, I saw a girl almost get hit by car coming out of the mcdonald's parking lot.
Just today I was going to Safeway to do some grocery shopping and almost got knocked down by a group of girls who seemed to be paying more attention to their conversation and not where they were going :roll:

CrazyOldBat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

Babies. Feh. The sound of them screeching drives me bonkers.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2011, 10:04 pm

I didn't but now I have a daughter.

At a social event, I'll still take her to the room that has NO babies in it, though. My main problem with babies is sensory overload, and thankfully we have a calm and happy baby (darn cute too!)