Do you tend to like pop-culture music?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

09 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

Do you tend to find 'popular' songs pretty catchy? Just curious.

I do and I'm thinking this implies a fundamental neurological similarity with the majority of the population which itself implies I'm NT, but I could be wrong...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:10 pm

No, not really.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

Not me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

What constitutes a popular song? If I like a song then thousands of others start liking it, I'm not giving up liking my song because it suddenly becomes popular.

I like what I like, popular or not.

On a similar note, I won't stop liking a tune just because everyone in the entire world loathes it with a passion.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

09 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
What constitutes a popular song? If I like a song then thousands of others start liking it, I'm not giving up liking my song because it suddenly becomes popular.

On a similar note, I won't stop liking a tune just because everyone in the entire world loathes it with a passion.

A popular song is a song that has an associated youtube video with a view count in the upper 1st percentile and has at least a like/dislike ratio exceeding 10:1. There you go! A definition. :)

You answered the question "Does popular opinion affect my opinion of a song?". I'm not asking that, I'm asking if you tend to like popular songs, not necessarily by virtue of being popular, but because popular songs often sound "good". And, coincidentally, millions of others think so too.

SakeGirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

I like popular songs.
I used to try and pretend that I didn't, but they got me in the end :D I know in my head that 'mainstream' music is naff, but my heart loves to dance to it, lol.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

KATE PERRY RULES! \m/

Last edited by swbluto on 09 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

My like or dislike of a song isn't related to others' opinions thereof.

I like many popular songs, but I also dislike many popular songs, and I also like many songs that aren't popular.

And I would expect that most (if not at least a majority of) videos on YouTube have a like:dislike ratio of over 10:1, because the viewers of most videos are probably people interested in the particular subject, rather than people indiscriminately viewing random videos.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

I prefer this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa1k1iBtGTE[/youtube]

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

matt wrote:

I like many popular songs, but I also dislike many popular songs, and I also like many songs that aren't popular.

And I would expect that most (if not at least a majority of) videos on YouTube have a like:dislike ratio of over 10:1, because the viewers of most videos are probably people interested in the particular subject, rather than people indiscriminately viewing random videos.

Rebecca Black's "Friday" video doesn't have a like/dislike ratio higher than 10:1.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

swbluto wrote:
matt wrote:

Rebecca Black's "Friday" video doesn't have a like/dislike ratio higher than 10:1.
That's because it's unusually terrible, and most people who viewed it probably followed a link that said how terrible it was.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm

swbluto wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

A popular song is a song that has an associated youtube video with a view count in the upper 1st percentile and has at least a like/dislike ratio exceeding 10:1. There you go! A definition. :)

You answered the question "Does popular opinion affect my opinion of a song?". I'm not asking that, I'm asking if you tend to like popular songs, not necessarily by virtue of being popular, but because popular songs often sound "good". And, coincidentally, millions of others think so too.

I see your point. However, I disagree with the idea liking songs that others like means you are neurotypical. That was the point that got obfuscated.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm

When I was in my late teens I spent as much time as possible listening to Madonna, The Bangles, and Eurythmics. I also liked songs by Samantha Fox and Belinda Carlyle. Also, Billy Joel and a few others I forget.

This had nothing to do with popularity, though. I mean I liked the music, and I guess I was exposed to it more because of its popularity, but I didn't really know or care what anyone else liked.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
swbluto wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I see your point. However, I disagree with the idea liking songs that others like means you are neurotypical. That was the point that got obfuscated.

It might not necessarily mean it, but it could be highly suggestive of it, because having a musical preference that fits the "standard profile" suggests normal musical sensitivities and music transmits emotive meta-states primarily through melody, suggesting that one has tonal emotional receptiveness that's similar to the majority of humanity (By that, I mean the emotions associated with a given sequence of sounds.). I don't know if "aspergers" is associated with tonal emotional receptivity, but I *thought* that aspergers affected ones nonverbal receptiveness (primarily affecting ones ability to understand body language and tone of voice) and that many aspies are "tone deaf", so to say, so it would seem reasonable that aspies would tend to like "popular songs" less often so than normal people do.

I think female aspies tend to be less affected by nonverbal receptiveness than male aspies.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:56 pm

I perfer stuff I can relate too. Such as this verse from Eminen's "Still don't give a f**k":
"I walked into a gunfight with a knife to kill you
And cut you so fast when your blood spilled it was still blue
I'll hang you til you dangle and chain you with both ankles
And pull you apart from both angles
I wanna crush your skull til your brains leaks out of your veins
And bust open like broken water mains
So tell Saddam not to bother with makin another bomb
Cause I'm crushin the whole world in my palm"

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Sep 2011, 10:58 pm

swbluto wrote:
It might not necessarily mean it, but it could be highly suggestive of it, because having a musical preference that fits the "standard profile" suggests normal musical sensitivities and music transmits emotive meta-states primarily through melody, suggesting that one has tonal emotional receptiveness that's similar to the majority of humanity (By that, I mean the emotions associated with a given sequence of sounds.). I don't know if "aspergers" is associated with tonal emotional receptivity, but I *thought* that aspergers affected ones nonverbal receptiveness (primarily affecting ones ability to understand body language and tone of voice) and that many aspies are "tone deaf", so to say, so it would seem reasonable that aspies would tend to like "popular songs" less often so than normal people do.

I think female aspies tend to be less affected by nonverbal receptiveness than male aspies.

I don't know whether there's any serious support for your last sentence, but:

I have relative pitch and can tune a guitar without a tool to tell me more than what the thickest (E) string should be, and my band teacher in 5th grade said I was a musical genius (if only my mother had told me he said that). Karla (kfisherx) plays classical guitar and can hear guitar tones and tell you what kind of wood was used to make a part of it, and actually had a luthier make her a guitar because of this talent.

And there's this: http://www.ampsociety.org.au/docs/MACAM ... .Greco.pdf

Most of the emotions I get from music are related to what I was doing or feeling when I first heard the music. Not all, though. I get a lot out of Christmas in Sarajevo by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but maybe that relates more to regrets than the music itself.