Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 12:32 am

Has anyone had success getting over this?

I would rather not hear specifics on what caused your ptsd....but has anyone had success in getting over it? Or does it just kind of become a part of you and you never truly get over it?

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2011, 4:23 am

I think it's possible to move on from PTSD. Personally I've largely moved on from mine. Occasionally I still get bothered by certain situations and there are some reactions to certain benign triggers that I can't control. For instance, I still have a bit of an exaggerated startle reflex. However, it's a lot better than what it used to be.

EMDR is said to be the best treatment for PTSD. I personally haven't tried it; for me, just being able to talk about what happened and being able to process it with a therapist was a tremendous help.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:55 am

I would relabel PTSD to "intense aversive conditioning", just to avoid loading the notion of PTSD with all the professional psycho-babble. Then I would note the frequent observation that the stimulus with the aversive conditioning "moves" from short-term memory in the Limbic System to long-term memory in more as to a "holographic" model of the brain, which includes structures outside the Limbic System.

The extinction of the effectiveness of the stimulus in intense aversive conditioning does not occur in humans. Attempts to reduce the effectiveness of the stimulus often does more harm than good, such as treatments that destroy the associated verbal memories (and too much else of unrelated elements), but necessarily leaving many elements of the "holograph" that leaves a non-verbal "mystical" set of elements often then labeled as another "mental illness".

Experiments to stop the short-term memory from becoming a long-term memory (whether by drugs, to electro-convulsive treatments, etc.) have not been very reliable or effective, and are probably immoral and/or unethical in use on humans.

In my experiences with intentional strong aversive conditioning, later exposure to the stimulus elicits the conditioned effect strong enough to additionally reinforce the conditioning over any degree of accompanying extinction. The stimulus can "morph" into different "modalities" (such as, even sufficiently "thinking" of/about the original stimulus used will start to elicit the effect).

Tadzio

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 10:21 am

I have not had any sucess with that.....my PTSD if anything has gotten worse and I doubt it is ever going to go away.

KatTheStrong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2013, 11:49 pm

Hey guys....I have PTSD. I find that talking to others who have experienced the same type of trauma helps. It creates a sense of belonging for me...like I am in the same boat as someone else and I'm not crazy. Talk about triggers with those close to you....explain to them what it puts you through. Exercise, write....do something to keep yourself busy.

A woman in my support group said that time is the best healer. It takes a while to heal from trauma.

I was severely abused as a child and now in my early twenties...I still have issues.