Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Ideawizard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2011, 2:43 am

Lets face it; the only way we can activate our savant skills is through the still as of yet unrecognized state of consciousness known as stimming.

If the above line is too much to swallow, try this instead; Stimming makes you like Einstein. At least in my opinion. Problem is, I don't know how to control it to the point where I can use it. That's the real difference between and average "Aspie" and a genuine prestigious Savant (i.e. Daniel Tammet or Kim Peek); the savant can control his stimming.

I know for a fact that most of you, if not all of you with a from of ASD, know exactly what I am talking about. Use my little post to talk about your stimming experiences. But I won't lie to you; I am hoping to gain some knowledge in how to utilize the powers of stimming to help me in all of my endeavors.

I am an extremely high functions person with ASD (I'm not even diagnosed anymore!) but I miss my savant abilities. If I'm off the wrong track don't be afraid to say so!

ROCK ON.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:34 am

How did you lose your diagnoses?

I tend to do autistic stimming when I get stressed out or anxious and when I feel a meltdown coming or when I get very happy. It's embarrassing. I even pace too which is less embarrassing because it's a normal thing to do. Sometimes I don't even realize I am doing it until I catch myself or when someone points it out to me. I can hide it by keeping my hands in fists or sitting on them and keeping my body stiff. I can control it if I think about it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Sep 2011, 3:44 am

I don't generally control my stimming, but I can direct it with stimmy objects sometimes. I can stop it if I think about it, but once I stop thinking about it (read: do anything else) I forget about it and it starts up again. Sometimes I feel like something in my brain actually craves stimming more than usual and the stimmy objects do no good at all.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:07 am

the main 'control' of my stimming is not the activation of it (which happens nearly always), but the deactivation/hiding.
trough training, i'm able to strongly imagine that i'm stimming, which works almost as well as the 'real thing'

Ideawizard

10 Sep 2011, 4:10 am

I have no idea how I lost my diagnosis.

The same doctor that brought my mom to tears after admitting my "condition" told her and my pop eleven years later that I was never autistic.

The study of autism is still in its infancy, and I think he was too embarrassed to admit he didn't know what to make of me. tt

All it really takes for an Aspie to blend in these days is a consideration for other people. Same as it ever was I guess :?

Momofblue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2011, 5:17 am

Could you explain to me how it feels to stim or does it have a feeling at all since most are not aware they are doing it? I have a 13 year old that has one but has learned to hide it pretty well and typically does his stimming when he is home and in his room alone. I also have a 4th grade student to seems to be more obvious this year then previous. I worry a lot about the attention he gets from his peers. I have been giving a little sensory ball to hold when he has to sit on a rug during class time or gently touch his shoulders when he is at his desk to make him aware of them. I understand it needs an outlet but kids can be so mean especially as they approach middle school. I'm I doing the right thing from your point of view? Any suggestions?

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 8:06 am

I don't try and hide it anymore-I have and it can be exhausting to hide it and since it hurts no one when I do itif it happens it happens.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 8:14 am

I don't hide it either. Even in interviews I stim.

Ideawizard

10 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

I often wonder if my STIMMING is really just an underadeveloped talent for acting and storytelling. I should look into expressing what I am actually thinking of while stimming.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

I love stimming and do it 100% of the time that I am awake.

As for directing it towards useful purposes, you might want to let yourself do it all the time and see what happens. My brain is smartest when I am so hyperfocused that I am no longer stimming, but the way to get there is to stim by default.

Quote:
Could you explain to me how it feels to stim or does it have a feeling at all since most are not aware they are doing it?

It feels relaxing and wonderful. Especially the "most autistic" forms of stimming, such as rocking back and forth. Probably because those involve the largest body parts and the most movement. The feeling is one of balance and order and rhythm, like everything is in place in your personal spaceship, and you are in the spaceship driver's seat, and the spaceship is your body, so you can feel it and know that everything is in place, and because of that, your brain can now focus on getting into its perfectly happy bubble universe of pure delightful thought.