I might be on the AS and my mom didn't take me seriously...

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

Hey, Hi. I'm new... as in... Just registered new...

*AS= Autism Spectrum

I'm under 14... and I've been questioning my 'oddities' and decided to do some research. I ended it on the Autism Spectrum. Autism/Aspergers fits me... so I decided to talk to my mom about it... so I did. A few weeks later (this was in July) we started to talk about my brother who has ADHD (while she was doing the bills)...and I blurted out that I might have Autism/Aspergers and then she laughed and said I didn't...that burned...

So, I did some more research (basically self-diagnosing, which isn't good because you can make things fit) and took 5 online quizzes which all suggested I had Autism/Aspergers and that I get it medically verified...which is hard because my mom won't take me seriously on the subject. Then I printed out the results of 3 of the quizzes. Then I also did research on things that were comorbid (like Bipolar Disorder, ADHD (which said brother has), Obsessive-Conpulsive Disorder, and Schizophrenia)... The parentheses weren't really necessary... just decided to add that in there as a fun fact.

Either way, my mom said I didn't have Autism/Aspergers (I'm certain that I do), and... How do I get her to see that I'm serious about this?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

Self-diagnosis is useless without confirmation by a trained mental-health professional.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 10:57 am

Next time you go to the doctor, bring it up. Or talk to your school nurse or psychologist.

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm

I am in a very similar situation. I know for afact that i have Aspergers Syndrome, but i don't know how to tell my mom. The weird thing is that a psychiatrist i saw for ADHD mentioned it, but my parents never pursued it or brought it up again. I can't see how this is possible, considering i most definitely have AS! I am seeing a psychologist basically because of my Aspergers (but without having acknowledged that i have it), so i want to ask her, but im so afraid to... I need to be diagnosed, i just don't know what to do.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

How can you "know for a fact" if your diagnosis is purely subjective? Several other conditions present themselves similarly to AS, and may also confuse your own perception of the symptoms.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
How can you "know for a fact" if your diagnosis is purely subjective? Several other conditions present themselves similarly to AS, and may also confuse your own perception of the symptoms.

You are correct, i was exaggerating, but i am 99% sare that i have AS. I have done a great deal of research on the topic as well as other possible conditions, and Aspergers fits me better than any other condition, and there are certain symptoms that are very specific to Aspergers that i have.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

I told my mom, showed her the results of all 3 quizzes, and then she started crying. She started to talk about how she should've flushed me down the toilet when I was born because I brought it up (not the toilet part, the Asperger's Part). :( Then she guilted me into forgetting about it all together. :(

I wonder why she reacted like that...
And if someone could explain the 'flushing a baby down the toilet' part... that would be awesome... 'Cause it just doesn't seem like a baby could fit down there!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

29 Sep 2011, 6:01 pm

DarthMaul wrote:
I told my mom, showed her the results of all 3 quizzes, and then she started crying. She started to talk about how she should've flushed me down the toilet when I was born because I brought it up (not the toilet part, the Asperger's Part). :( Then she guilted me into forgetting about it all together. :(

I wonder why she reacted like that...
And if someone could explain the 'flushing a baby down the toilet' part... that would be awesome... 'Cause it just doesn't seem like a baby could fit down there!

Your mom scares me, no offense. She might be afraid that you are right, and doesn't want to spend money on what might not actually be there.

Or she may want a "normal" kid.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

Could you define normal for me?

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

Is your brother with ADHD the only sibling you have? If so, sounds to me like your mother just can't cope with the idea that both of her children might be different and that she feels she needs one of you to be "normal."

Just a thought, though.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Oct 2011, 1:41 am

MudandStars wrote:
Is your brother with ADHD the only sibling you have? If so, sounds to me like your mother just can't cope with the idea that both of her children might be different and that she feels she needs one of you to be "normal."

Just a thought, though.

No, I have an older sister. I'm the middle child and my brother's adopted.

melly-belly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2011, 8:42 am

I really feel sorry for you. I would hate to be in your situation, aspergers is hard enough to deal with even if you have a loving family and in my case only 1 parent who understands, let alone in your situation. I cant imagine it. What she said to you about flushing you down the toilet was really out of line in my opinion, no one should ever say that to there kid. My advice would be talk to someone about it other then your mum. Do you have a dad? Or maybe even a teacher or a school counseller or something? Like someone else said bring it up with your doctor. They can send you to someone who can help you with this and get you diagnosed. I know its probably hard and scary but thats the only way you can get help and deal with it. Hope this helps, sorry that theres not more i can do.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Oct 2011, 10:36 pm

melly-belly wrote:
I really feel sorry for you. I would hate to be in your situation, aspergers is hard enough to deal with even if you have a loving family and in my case only 1 parent who understands, let alone in your situation. I cant imagine it. What she said to you about flushing you down the toilet was really out of line in my opinion, no one should ever say that to there kid. My advice would be talk to someone about it other then your mum. Do you have a dad? Or maybe even a teacher or a school counseller or something? Like someone else said bring it up with your doctor. They can send you to someone who can help you with this and get you diagnosed. I know its probably hard and scary but thats the only way you can get help and deal with it. Hope this helps, sorry that theres not more i can do.

It's just my mom raising me. My dad has enough problems. My sister isn't talking to my mom, plus her husband died in April and she's struggling with the bills. And I would talk to a teacher, but I either can't find the courage to do so, or I don't really care much for the person. The school counselor is a nice woman with 2 daughters of her own, but if I bring it up to her word's going to reach my mom and it's going to be somewhat ouroborus.

kerupuk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2011, 4:56 am

Well dear, welcome to the club. You are not alone. My mother also never take it seriously. She always compares me to my normal friends while they could focus to things that they do. Either my dad never believes that I have AS. I have begged to them to bring me to any professionals but they haven't brought me to any yet. Quite sad, actually.
Well, I'm 15 now and my first AS diagnose was by my friend who was autistic too. He said : "I'm curious how could you befriended with me, I guess you have autism too."
I said : "Nonsense!"
But after I read articles about AS, then I know why I have a very very small (countable by hand fingers!) amount of friends since I was in kindergarten till now in highschool.
Then I continued to read and then I found AS described me, exactly and clearly.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

This is almost like my sister, except not for AS. I have AS. One night my sister was going on about routines, and I said she might have OCD then she took a test online that said she very likely does. At first she didn't want a diagnosis but now she does. When I told my mum that my sister might have OCD she was like "She's as OCD as you are not Asperger's"

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but yeah.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Oct 2011, 7:22 pm

As off topic as this is... If we did get a diagnosis, would we even bother telling anyone?

I probably wouldn't. Anyone else?