Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 11:43 pm

Yes, I know Robert Caro's massive books about the life of America's 36th President don't exactly match the Harry Potter books in popularity, but, if you're interested in mid-20th century American politics, you need to read these books. I bought the hardcover version of Master of the Senate a few years ago, and I read Path to Power and Means of Ascent in my school's library. I can't wait for the next one to come out, which I guess will be in about 6 years.

Tyler
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2006, 3:32 am

Means To An Ascent was especially good, I used it as a basis for an essay I wrote to get an American History scholarship at my new university. I think any book that looks like a tome and reaks of history is scary to people, but Lyndon Johnson had the vast misfortune (or perhaps great luck!) to be sandwiched between a man considered by many to be a patron saint and a man considered to be a great deceiver, leaving him oft ignored. That whole Vietnam thing usually strikes a chord with people towards him though :lol: .

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 10:01 am

It seems to me that Johnson was almost as big a deceiver as Nixon, only Lyndon couldn't help but boast about his wrongdoings. Either way, he was a very effective politician when he wanted to be.

What was your essay about?