Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 5:16 am

Remember Amalek and what he did to you. Remember and do not forget .....

ruveyn

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 9:50 am

ruveyn wrote:
Remember Amalek and what he did to you. Remember and do not forget .....

ruveyn

Amalek? I had to look that one up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalek

Apparently, the Amalekites were exterminated by the Israelites.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

Poor amaleks.

The bible is choke full of genocide stories told as god's victories o_O

Edit: Oh, and happy world-wide "Americans go insufferable" day.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

Deuteronomy 25?

Quote:
Remember what the Amalekites did to you along the way when you came out of Egypt. When you were weary and worn out, they met you on your journey and cut off all who were lagging behind; they had no fear of God. When the Lord your God gives you rest from all the enemies around you in the land he is giving you to possess as an inheritance, you shall blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven. Do not forget!

"Remember what the Amalekites did to you" apparently refers to

Quote:
The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. Moses said to Joshua, “Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.” So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.”

Moses built an altar and called it The Lord is my Banner. He said, “For hands were lifted up to the throne of the Lord. Thec Lord will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation.”

The Lord didn't quite "blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven": Amalek is still mentioned in the Bible of all places.

Moreover, blotting out their memory would be inconsistent with "Do Not Forget!"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 5:33 am

I had almost forgotten that story from Sunday school, back when I was a kid. I remember, the whole class broke out in laughter over the image of Moses trying to hold his arms up after hours of fighting. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 5:59 am

pandabear wrote:
Deuteronomy 25?

Quote:
Remember what the Amalekites did to you along the way when you came out of Egypt. When you were weary and worn out, they met you on your journey and cut off all who were lagging behind; they had no fear of God. When the Lord your God gives you rest from all the enemies around you in the land he is giving you to possess as an inheritance, you shall blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven. Do not forget!

"Remember what the Amalekites did to you" apparently refers to

Quote:
The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. Moses said to Joshua, “Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.” So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.”

Moses built an altar and called it The Lord is my Banner. He said, “For hands were lifted up to the throne of the Lord. Thec Lord will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation.”

The Lord didn't quite "blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven": Amalek is still mentioned in the Bible of all places.

Moreover, blotting out their memory would be inconsistent with "Do Not Forget!"

Why not record it? The Amalekites being destroyed possess no capability of remembering or passing down memories of their own. Also, the Bible lists not only the successes of their leaders but also their faults and failures, so even if this was to be something to be disdained it is still in Scripture and to remove it would violate this:

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you." - Deuteronomy 4:2

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 6:05 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqCFq5sPxNo[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 6:10 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqCFq5sPxNo[/youtube]

Oh, God; I couldn't even finish listening to that crap.
IRAQ HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11!! !! !! !!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer