yes 78%  78%  [ 18 ]
no 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
idc 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

Grisha just mentioned the possibility of creating a thread where we could gather the posts on this section that can be helpfull to members in need of advice and while I have no problem with having such thread I wanted to know other members opinions on this issue before making a new sticky(title can be changed if members support this idea).

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

Its a great ideal I like getting advice on WP from my fellow aspies :wink:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

Like an index sticky linking to various good threads, right? That's a decent idea, some of the other stickies can maybe unstickied and added.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

Moog wrote:
Like an index sticky linking to various good threads, right? That's a decent idea, some of the other stickies can maybe unstickied and added.

i think he means individual posts could be copied over, but threads would work too.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

I thought this might be a way to avoid a proliferation of stickies while still being able to keep the occasional really insightful, high-quality post from descending into obscurity...

Neotokyomushroom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

I agree with this but the threads linked would have to be ones that are generally agreed to be helpful.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

Neotokyomushroom wrote:
I agree with this but the threads linked would have to be ones that are generally agreed to be helpful.

I was thinking an informal vote or even a poll. Personally, I only see a couple of posts a year that really stand out like that - it's kind of obvious when it happens...

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:30 pm

Neotokyomushroom wrote:

We could follow the sticky procedure(nothing is done until several members state that it should be stickied and no post should be added until several members ask for it to be added).

Original idea was only posts but we arrange some sort of index thing as well to get rid of so many threads at the top of this section.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Moog wrote:

i think he means individual posts could be copied over, but threads would work too.

Like a post scrapbook? But then who judges what are the great posts?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

Moog wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Moog wrote:

Read above, the same people that decide which threads are stickied (vox populis)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Moog wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Moog wrote:

well, the obvious choice is to just fill it with MY posts they clearly overflow with... sage awesomeness. :lol: problem solved. we could call it "hyperlexian's thread of awesome advice for the little people, with select special guests worthy of note".

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Moog wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Moog wrote:

well, the obvious choice is to just fill it with MY posts they clearly overflow with... sage awesomeness. :lol: problem solved. we could call it "hyperlexian's thread of awesome advice for the little people, with select special guests worthy of note".

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

lol more seriously we could just consider any post people seemed to really appreciate. members could communicate their appreciation for certain posts in the originating thread and we could copy it over. Grisha i think this was an awesome idea that could encourage people to really give the best advice they can muster. it's the best idea i've seen for encouraging the individuals whose great advice gets buried in arguments and such.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

I also think its an amazing idea.

Also I was just going to make a joke about how every post by hyper should be there and then we could consider adding some post that looked like they could have been written by her but she beat me to it(aint we a bit narcissistic :) ).

As Ive stated previously Im more than open to any suggestions on how to improve this section and I had pretty much given up hope on this aspect but lets hope others can learn from this example.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

spongy wrote:

Also I was just going to make a joke about how every post by hyper should be there and then we could consider adding some post that looked like they could have been written by her but she beat me to it(aint we a bit narcissistic :) ).

As Ive stated previously Im more than open to any suggestions on how to improve this section and I had pretty much given up hope on this aspect but lets hope others can learn from this example.

oh goodness i wasn't serious!! !! i post as much crap as the next person. and honestly i think having a moderator's posts in there would be slightly questionable unless they were really really stand-out-amazing (like yours are, spongy :) ).

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
spongy wrote:

oh goodness i wasn't serious!! !! i post as much crap as the next person. and honestly i think having a moderator's posts in there would be slightly questionable unless they were really really stand-out-amazing (like yours are, spongy :) ).

Im aware that you were joking thats why my posts ends with she beat me to it and a smiley. Sorry if the parenthesis thingy was a bit too much.

Most of my posts nowadays are rules of conduct reminders but I guess we could put them there since almost nobody reads the TOS reminder anyways.