Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

emp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 3:59 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
It is both hypocritical and cowardly to believe in something and not do anything to stand up for that belief because of not wanting to "rock the boat".

To say that she is hypocritical is stretching the definition of hypocrisy. Usually one is considered to be a hypocrite when their actions are contrary to their stated beliefs. However, the case we are discussing currently is a matter of inaction. Does her lack of action to support her stated beliefs make her a hypocrite? Debatable. Answering Yes is a bit of a stretch. Inaction does not clearly make one a hypocrite.

As for cowardly? Yes, perhaps she is lacking courage.

Who_Am_I wrote:
If I was in this situation I would feel betrayed and be furious

You appear to be using words without really thinking about what they mean. To betray usually means to give aid to an enemy. However, she did no such thing.

So basically, you would feel betrayed and furious because your friend lacked courage. That is an inappropriate response. A more appropriate response would be disappointment.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 1:37 pm

Subatai ackwardly enters the room.
Subatai: And on that strange note, I am happy to annouce that this girl is now my girlfriend.
Subatai quickly darts out of the room to avoid any and all backlash.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 5:50 pm

Whaaaaaaaaaatttt??

Well, I'm glad to see any differences were worked out.

Good luck.

(And on that note, Quatermass staggers out of the forum, roaring his head off with laughter at the irony of the situation).

On sabbatical...

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 8:24 pm

emp wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
If I was in this situation I would feel betrayed and be furious

You appear to be using words without really thinking about what they mean. To betray usually means to give aid to an enemy. However, she did no such thing.

So basically, you would feel betrayed and furious because your friend lacked courage. That is an inappropriate response. A more appropriate response would be disappointment.

No, I was NOT using words without thinking about what they meant. This person gave aid to the "enemy" by not speaking out against them.

"betray |bi?tr?| verb [ trans. ] be disloyal to : his friends were shocked when he betrayed them. • be disloyal to (one's country, organization, or ideology) by acting in the interests of an enemy : he could betray his country for the sake of communism. • treacherously inform an enemy of the existence or location of (a person or organization) : this group was betrayed by an informer. • treacherously reveal (secrets or information) : many of those employed by diplomats betrayed secrets and sold classified documents. • figurative reveal the presence of; be evidence of : she drew a deep breath that betrayed her indignation."

The first definition clearly fits this situation. By not speaking out against the opinions of the people who disagreed with subatai_baadur, the girl was acting in their interests.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

emp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 5:23 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
This person gave aid to the "enemy" by not speaking out against them.

That is such a clearly unreasonable interpretation / twisting of the situation that I need not even bother explaining why.

-------------------------

subatai_baadur wrote:
I am happy to annouce that this girl is now my girlfriend.

Great! It is good to hear that you did not let the issue wreck your relationship with her.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 7:46 pm

I disagree. By not speaking out against someone, you are clearly aiding them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 8:21 pm

The support for me comes after I start a relationship? Wonderful. Also worth noting that I'm nearing 500 posts.