Page 7 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

So in your view might makes right, okay well I guess the people in Syria and Iran don't deserve to have rights then because they don't have the firepower to back themselves up.

Might has always made Right. But sometimes Right makes it on its own.

ruveyn

This is how statism and communism are subsets of Atheism.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

You can't possible believe that.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

Really?. Mussolini was a Catholic and Hitler was a baptised Christian. Stalin trained for the Russian Orthodox priesthood when he was a young man. He probably knew the Bible better than you. As to Statism, Alexander Hamilton was the Statist from Hell and was a Christian (as most of the Founders were).

Charles the First of England was an absolute Monarch (you cannot get more Statist than that) and a staunch Roman Catholic. The Medicis and Borgias who ran their domains with an iron hand were all "good" Catholics.

ruveyn

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

Lecks wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

I said subsets of Athiesm, not that all Atheists are communists or statists. Just that the mentality is there.

ruevyn wrote:
Really?. Mussolini was a Catholic and Hitler was a baptised Christian. Stalin trained for the Russian Orthodox priesthood when he was a young man. He probably knew the Bible better than you. As to Statism, Alexander Hamilton was the Statist from Hell and was a Christian (as most of the Founders were).

Christianity as a faith condemns violence, and just because someone was born into a religious group from their parents, doesn't mean they stay there.

Also how was Alexander Hamilton a statist from hell?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 8:03 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

He accompanied President Washington to Pennsylvania with 13,000 Federale Thugs in 1794 to extract the whiskey tax from the good farmers of Pennsylvania. Look up Whiskey Rebellion. Hamilton favored a strong central government, unlike Jefferson who preferred that power reside in the States.

If Washington and Hamilton had their brains blown out during the whiskey rebellion the country would have been much better off.

The country has gone along the lines that Hamilton favored, rather than along Jeffersonian lines.

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

You may like to look up what the word subset means.

Lecks wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

You have no idea of the stuff he believes.

ruveyn wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Charles the First of England was an absolute Monarch (you cannot get more Statist than that) and a staunch Roman Catholic. The Medicis and Borgias who ran their domains with an iron hand were all "good" Catholics.

ruveyn

La la la la la *not listening-*

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
You may like to look up what the word subset means.

Lecks wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

You have no idea of the stuff he believes.

ruveyn wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

ruveyn

La la la la la *not listening-*

Vexcalibur I know what a subset means and I'm aware of what it means, I'm also aware it is a math term. Looks more like you don't know what subset means which is essentially a set with in a set.

Would you understand the concept of communism and statism being branches of atheism?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

thats the thing, they are not.

while atheism is the official religious stance of many comunist and statist countries it is not why they are comunist nor statist.

the official religious stance of denmark is protestantic yet i can easily be an atheist, just like the people, even if "on paper" is atheist, in actually could be wosrhipping their leader, some only by mouth.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:13 pm

Atheists are Commies!!

Smurfs are also Commies!

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:22 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vexcalibur I know what a subset means and I'm aware of what it means, I'm also aware it is a math term.
And we all know that math is scary for your kind! As you are a man, you are only good at building stuff and working out !

Quote:
Looks more like you don't know what subset means which is essentially a set with in a set.

A set within a set is the definition you use when explaining 6 years olds.

When you say X is a subset of Y, it is equivalent to saying that all elements of Y are in X. Since there are communist and statists that were definitely not atheists. Then the fact you are misusing the word subset can be seen from a large distance, during the night.

And the nitpick about the word subset is just the beginning. To claim that statism and communism even intersect with atheism is far-fetched.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 1:09 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vexcalibur I know what a subset means and I'm aware of what it means, I'm also aware it is a math term.
And we all know that math is scary for your kind! As you are a man, you are only good at building stuff and working out !

Quote:
Looks more like you don't know what subset means which is essentially a set with in a set.

When you say X is a subset of Y, it is equivalent to saying that all elements of Y are in X. Since there are communist and statists that were definitely not atheists. Then the fact you are misusing the word subset can be seen from a large distance, during the night.

And the nitpick about the word subset is just the beginning. To claim that statism and communism even intersect with atheism is far-fetched.

:roll: .

Atheism can be divided up into different branches like many other religions. Among the branches are Communism and Statism.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 2:22 am

Inuyasha wrote:
LKL wrote:
I'm perfectly happy with using the words skepticism and faith, rather than atheism and religion, which might suit my definitions better; I think that skepticism and atheism, and religion and faith, are closely enough correlated to be interchangeable in most situations.

Atheism is actually communist/statist in it's very nature, you can argue semantics all day long but it doesn't change the facts.

Atheism is a disbelief in the existance of God, gods and goddesses, etc. -- Though at the same time for someone they don't believe in, they spend an awful lot of time bashing.

Statism, Communism, and Atheism in fact probably most communists are also atheists. When you start putting your trust in man being the absolute authority or the state (which is what people like you do), then you are opening yourself up to statism, communism, or some other dictator. Sorry to break it to you, but Statism and Communism are generally subgroups of atheism.

Translation:
'I know you better than you know yourself, so start living down to my straw-man image of you so that I can knock you down.'

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2011, 7:06 pm

LKL wrote:
just_ben wrote:
Blue text on a blue background. It's like trying to read something that's invisible. I'm sorry, I have nothing constructive aside from the fact I physically couldn't read it. Plus, I think DC just won that round.
I am just_ben, the PPR score keeper! Remember, nothing 'below the belt', unless it's an argument about belts.

?
I see all the text as black, regardless of the background. Have you set your text color to blue as a default?

No dude, I hadn't touched anything. I'm not a frequent internet user anymore (I got lucky work wise, hence my sparse posts on WP), so I figured the blogger had thought light blue on dark blue was a good idea. Being colour blind, I had to highlight the whole thing to read it. And, having done that, I figured if he wasn't fussed enough to make it at least readable in its purest form, then it was probably not that important to anyone. In the words of Brendon Burns, "I don't give that much of a **** about what I think" So you'd have to try pretty hard to convince it was worth considering. :P

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 7:50 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Quote:

:roll: .

Atheism can be divided up into different branches like many other religions. Among the branches are Communism and Statism.

Atheism is not a religion any more than baldness is a hair color. Communism and State-ism are political ideologies that occasionally attack religious institutions as a matter of opportunity or to secure power through hearts and minds that would otherwise be devoted to said institution

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Sep 2011, 10:44 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

Good question, particularly so since that town in Michigan hadn't even been founded by Hamilton's time. ;)

Anyway, as to the article, the author would do better to engage with more atheists. He might discover that, like theists, atheists come in many flavors. Some are more thoughtful than others, some kinder than others, some more combative than others. Some have a problem with religion(s). Others are simply atheist because it makes no sense to them to pretend to believe something they do not.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
However, many of them are wastes. I mean, if this is all just "shared experience" then why not just festivals and no other rituals? Even further, the claim about diet restrictions isn't reasonable given that other societies HAVE rejected many of the dietary restrictions. It isn't as if every society rejected eating pork. It isn't as if every society rejects eating cow, etc.

Okay, I never claimed that religion was the only or best way to promote public health. I’m just pointing out that certain things that might seem irrational at first glance, could actually serve a purpose. I would never claim that religion is a perfect social adaptation—I just get tired of reading post by evangelical atheists who claim it has no social value at all…

Quote:
Even further, you seem to emphasize the special traits of certain monotheistic religions? What about inclusivist polytheistic religions? Those sacrifice a LOT of shared beliefs and rituals, etc, for the sake of allowing for pluralism.

Actually, many historical polytheistic societies did make a virtue of pluralism, but they didn’t necessarily sacrifice shared beliefs or rituals. The Persian and Roman Empires were both very tolerant of diverse religious belief AS LONG AS their subjects agreed to worship the “state gods” too.
Roman tolerance served them well in building an empire, and clearly in relation to the Romans, Jewish stubbornness and intolerance invited their first holocaust… However, 2000 years later, there are no Romans, but there is a Jewish state!
Do you really think there would be any modern Jews if they didn’t worship a jealous god?

Quote:
I mean, if the goal is "share experience" then religion has a lot of needless garbage. Because a trait can survive owing to its relationship to other traits, why couldn't religion simply be a spandrel, and not a specially selected for trait?

Look, evolution is messy whether it’s biological or social.

Could religion start as something else and be readapted as a social/political tool (with much needless garbage in tow)?

Absolutely!

Regardless, I still maintain that religion would not be so widespread or persistent if it did not contribute substantially to the success of societies/cultures.

Quote:

Except it isn't. If a trait evolves in a path dependent manner, then we can have all sorts of bad crap pop up that doesn't get cleared away because of related beneficial characteristics. We can have sub-optimal solutions exist because path-dependency prevents an optimal solution from arising. Evolution doesn't mean that every trait is optimal. It means that there are selective pressures.
Even further, if you're holding to a functionalist notion of the workings of society, why DOESN'T this apply to the current society?? Why *can't* we regard the decline of religion as owing to selective pressures against the success of religion? Your own methodology seems to require that you would also take it seriously that religion USED TO be valuable, but in the current context has now become a hindrance or hanger-on.

Sure, that could be, and if it is, I’ll be happy to eat my hat.

But remember, just as in biological evolution, in social evolution there can be dead ends.

Species go extinct when they take an evolutionary wrong turn, and societies do too.

Quote:
Umm..... the existence of prejudice doesn't mean that this is a positive trait to maintain within society. In our present reality, prejudice is actually a negative trait to be suppressed and where non-prejudice is better off rewarded. What this means is that promoting prejudice or tolerating it is a step back. We're better off as non-racist and hiring the most qualified candidate, and basic economic analysis says that. We're better off forming trade-alliances with the strange looking people across the seas, and economic analysis tells us this is the case. So, why should we make ourselves LESS functional due to a holdover that can be suppressed?

Even further, a few riots isn't a sign of societal collapse. Most nations go through various phases of strife and integration. The US has had these issues towards the freaking Irish. Now, nobody cares about whether a person is Irish or not. The same happened about blacks, and integration with minimal strife on the issue is now occurring with anti-black racism being suppressed(still existing, but strides are being made). I mean..... this isn't a sign of anything. If it were, society would have ALREADY collapsed. However, a society being dynamic is expected, and there are going to be growing pains in such a world.

Actually, the suppression of racism is a success story for secular social control. Society certainly hasn’t stopped racism, but within a single generation, it has managed to make the informal sanctions against racism so hash and sure that it has driven racism underground. It is not perfect, but it is a good start.

I’m sure society can change the definition of the “different other” when it has sufficient reason to do so.

I’m not sure society can ever eliminate hostility toward those defined as the “different other.” Wolf packs need their omegas as well as their alphas, and human packs do too!

This actually illustrates my point about social solidarity. When a society can agree a thing is wrong, it can do a lot to stop it…

The dysfunction comes when people can’t agree. The weakness of pluralism is that when taken to an extreme, people generally won’t agree on much…

A certain amount of homogeneity is essential for maintaining social functionality and the illusion of freedom

To quote Edmund Burke again:
Quote:
what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

For a free society to function, it has to agree on what is wise and what is virtuous.

….it doesn’t have to be right, it just needs to agree and act upon that agreement.