Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:56 am

Recently, I was pouring boiling water from a kettle into a thermos, when I poured the boiling water all over my hand.

Oh no. What now? In this situation, what would you do next?

Here is what I did next: I cursed. Then, I continued to pour the boiling water into the thermos. I filled the thermos. I capped the thermos. I opened a roll of paper towels and used the paper towels to wipe dry the floor, counter, kettle, thermos, and cup. I set the kettle, thermos, and cup back in place. Once everything had been refurbished to their original factory conditions and relocated to their designated volumes of space, I decided that it was time for me to hold my red and reddening hand under cold water.

Apparently, the mental pain caused by the brief and minor lapse in order was so great that the physical pain had to come in second. These are my priorities. What are yours?

viera
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2011, 1:12 am

Me I don't get burnt fast. I handle hot objects with my bare hand and do not usually let go of them if they are too hot for me. I would prolly have done the same thing.

Kiana
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2011, 3:12 am

I can remember doing this years ago and not really reacting to it either, I don't think it's a aspie thing though, I know an NT who got second degree burns from a sandwich toaster and ate his toastie before he went to A&E.....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 3:49 am

to the OP- your body would love you much better if you attended to your burns right off the bat. love your body more, it is the only one you get this go-round, no going to the body store for replacement this or that.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2011, 7:44 am

I have two thoughts on this.
One: cursing has been shown to reduce the amount something hurts physically ( the study won an ignobel prize)
And two: ultimately the brain experinces both physical and emotional pain as the same. ( ie the same structures lite up on an mri) therefore there comes about an effect where the one signal blocks the other by getting there 1st.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 7:47 am

I am always injuring myself in various ways, but I just get on with it. I got my finger bitten by an angry rat at work and I just carried on for about 10 minutes! I only stopped because the blood was going everywhere but the pain was still not registering. I was so focussed on getting all the water bottles re-filled that I didn't think about my finger! It turned out it was quite a nasty injury as well... It's been about a month and a half and my finger still has a massive scar!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

joestenr wrote:
I have two thoughts on this.
One: cursing has been shown to reduce the amount something hurts physically ( the study won an ignobel prize)
And two: ultimately the brain experinces both physical and emotional pain as the same. ( ie the same structures lite up on an mri) therefore there comes about an effect where the one signal blocks the other by getting there 1st.

At their root, physical pain and mental pain are indistinguishable. And yes, anger can temporarily render one numb to pain and/or discomfort. This kind of explains violent meltdowns. It's a defense mechanism.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Recently, I was pouring boiling water from a kettle into a thermos, when I poured the boiling water all over my hand.

Oh no. What now? In this situation, what would you do next?

Here is what I did next: I cursed. Then, I continued to pour the boiling water into the thermos. I filled the thermos. I capped the thermos. I opened a roll of paper towels and used the paper towels to wipe dry the floor, counter, kettle, thermos, and cup. I set the kettle, thermos, and cup back in place. Once everything had been refurbished to their original factory conditions and relocated to their designated volumes of space, I decided that it was time for me to hold my red and reddening hand under cold water.

Apparently, the mental pain caused by the brief and minor lapse in order was so great that the physical pain had to come in second. These are my priorities. What are yours?

Do you know of Captain Ahab? I get into a laser fixation and nothing is goin' to stop it.

I 2nd (maybe 3rd) degree burned my self with a 5000 degree flame, from a torch, and it hurt not only by the immediate pain, but the pain went very deep--it got me good. Knowing this, I continued to solder the copper pipe. Was this an absolute priority? No.

I'm one to get stuck into something and not want to veer off-- "go away change"-- the extenuating circumstances cannot break into it enough to break it down.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

I have experienced chronic moderate physical pain and mental pain. The physical pain is always preferable.