Real Life or Online Relationship
Real Life 85%  85%  [ 47 ]
Online 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 55

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2011, 1:13 am

Online interactions are less freeform and more structured, which favors aspies.

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

I used to be quite skeptical of online relationships.

And then.....

I met Mark198423 on this site. We began a relationship - in different countries. We married this past August and I moved to the UK in October.

With a lot of effort, online relationships can work.

Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 1:34 am

Online relationships are entirely fake and for hopelessly desperate people.

Even if it was the most 100% perfect match for you and she lived far away, the attitude "oh i'll leave him if i find someone local" still exists, likely from both sides.

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2011, 1:40 am

886 wrote:
Even if it was the most 100% perfect match for you and she lived far away, the attitude "oh i'll leave him if i find someone local" still exists, likely from both sides.

20 years later...

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 1:40 am

Never had an online relationship. If you eventually meet then its cool, but I can't see it working otherwise.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 11:15 am

I could meet potential partners online that live in my area for the first time on popular dating sites (only if I have no luck finding them in person in my area). Once I get to know that partner, however, I would prefer to meet with her in person, go to a restaurant or movie theater, socialize, play games, etc. It would be very boring and unwise to sit in front of your laptop and communicate with your romantic partner everyday because you will be missing out on the key elements of a romantic relationship such as physical affection, kissing, and doing social activities.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

Online relationships present a different set of challenges, but are no less real in my experience.

I have no preference either way, though.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 9:04 am

886 wrote:
Online relationships are entirely fake and for hopelessly desperate people.

They aren't fake if you eventually meet the person in real life.

That being said, they are challenging for timing and seeing each other and should be a LAST resort...not a first one....as I've found out the hard way.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 11:30 am

I don't get the notion that online relationships are "fake", or any less "real" than another type.
If both people are getting their needs met, then it's quite clearly just another kind of relationship...
a real one.

I guess it's through this lens of view that "online" relationship has in this thread been equivocated with a "long-distance" relationship-
the presumption being that it would be an in-person relationship if not for the distance factor, because supposedly that's what everyone prefers?

to his Interest."