WHICH IS THE BESTPROGRAMMING LANGUAGE TO START PROGRAMMING?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lola2136
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

Hi.Which is the best programming language to start programming?I don´t know anything about programming but I want to lean.Can you help me?

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

lola2136 wrote:
Hi.Which is the best programming language to start programming?I don´t know anything about programming but I want to lean.Can you help me?

Visual Basic is a good start.
Then you could move on to C. Or PHP.

lola2136

16 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

Thanks. :D

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

Pascal. That's why it was created.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

python is also a good starting language.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 3:48 pm

You need to spend a VERY short amount of time getting to grips with basic concepts and then move onto to a strictly typed pure OO language for a while.

Unless you are intending to spend your life writing low level device drivers, in which case you need to just learn C and blissfully ignore everything else.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

Python or ruby would probably be good. My first language was BASIC, which is pretty much an awful language, but because I was learning the most basic of concepts it didn't really matter. Pretty much anything would be OK for a first language.

@DC: Why a strictly typed OO language?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
@DC: Why a strictly typed OO language?

If you want to get a job doing anything but writing low level stuff a good understanding of OO is essential these days. Newbies/students need to understand the demands of industry if they wish to be employed and in 95% of programming jobs the hardcore memory management C skills aren't required.

When people spend enough time studying procedural techniques they become unwilling to change to OO and this harms their career prospects.

By contrast if you can quickly identify which pattern is required for optimal performance of a multimillion dollar development you will do well.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

I think OO is overhyped, but I don't really want to potentially derail the thread with a flamewar over it.

Definitely if someone becomes unwilling to change that's a bad thing. Software is always changing.

I think the static typing part of the question was also important, but after thinking about it, I'll give myself an answer: It's a good idea to use languages with both static and dynamic type systems, because they have different trade-offs. That would imply learning more than one language fairly early on, but I think that's also a good idea.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

I wasn't trying to say procedural programming is useless, but that you need to do both. If you spend too long early on learning a single dynamic procedural language you tend to get stuck in that way of thinking and find it much harder to adapt to strict typing or OO approaches.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

OO is an important and potent tool for grasping the underlying structure of an algorithm, however at the lowest logical level all you have are procedures. Nothing is OO clean down to the bottom.

ruveyn

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm

I started with C. Good language.

krzysz00
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2011, 8:26 pm

I would recommend Python.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 9:23 pm

No, none of the above. Do yourself a favour and start as close to your browser as possible. Install a Java first, and jEdit to take care of your text editing needs, and start writing little bits of HTML and JavaScript. Follow up some of jQuery's tutorials. For an eye-opener, visit the CSS Zen Garden.

Once the look and feel of things is making sense - and if you need server side reactions to learn that, Node.js fits in your language context nicely - you might be looking at server side data, or the Safari browsers on iPhones and things.

Note that all of the above tools are standard, free, open source and won't lock you into any hardware or software megastructures.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 9:59 pm

Brainf.uck. I know what I say. I'm written in it :twisted:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2011, 12:06 pm

I begin with C++ but i try HTML times ago