Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:38 am

Just looking for advice, My son has mood swings he is 13yrs, these can happen very quickly one minute ok the next seems quiet low. Then we can have days feeling like this, he does have problems with school I don't know if the mood changes is because he is overwhelmed with school or is it something else.

He will talk about self harm, wanting to die, and killing himself frequently, this escalates when he is in school.

He has been taking strattera for a while its help with ADHD and also an anti-depression, he has started on prozac about 6 weeks I don't see any major changes. Mood at the moment very low and keeps saying he is sad and back to the threats, school has been a issue.

I not sure if there is another issue but something is amiss

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

Sometimes strattera can cause suicideal thoughts and depression....

Does he have friends he hangs out with?

Treating depression with an ssri can be difficult whether it be drug induced, chemical, or just emotional.

Since there is a million of them to pick and then 80% of people do not respond to them.

Also is he on the spectrum? is he having melt downs or shut downs that are causing him to be low?

Sorry he is feeling this way and that you don't know what to do.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

He had the suicidal ideation's since he was very young well before taking strattera. Strattera has helped him to focus and with hyperactivity etc. One thing I notice he is a little more aggressive, his low moods are so much better whilst on strattera.

When he was taking no meds is could not manage himself and I found it difficult to help him. His mood was so low and this is when he tried to hurt himself rather than express it very scary time.

He has friends but doesn't hang out. He is not having meltdowns or shut down often from time to time.

I thought things would improve with prozac? there seems to be no effect.

Thanks

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:16 pm

My mom says the hardest thing about raising me, aside from obsessions, would be the moodswings. I've had them ever since I was a toddler. I was adopted and seriously suspect my biological mother drank when she was pregnant with me.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 7:00 am

I never drank during pregnancy and I also gave up smoking!

netsavy006
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

One thing I'd suggest is that if the prozac is not helping his depression, I'd go back to the doctor, explain the situation and see if the medication can be changed. There are many antidepressants on the market, such as Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin.

Also, Lithium can be used sometimes for treatment resistant depression, but that comes later.

See the doctor and see what he/she has to say.

What is the current dose of Prozac that he is on?

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

20mg but there is no change, he will be reviewed shortly I will discuss it then. He was prescribe prozac to help with OCD also its not classic ocd more to do with AS but there is no difference.