06 Feb 2005, 9:11 pm

Definetly. If there's one thing i know it's about weird stuff

Glenn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2005, 1:33 am

venom wrote:
Glenn wrote:
I used to find the 'out of the body' experiences rather frightening, because firstly I felt paralysed, and secondly I would feel a weird and rather unpleasant "roaring" or "vibrating" sensation before feeling "pulled" in some way out of the body . (Its difficult to describe these sensations, but I remember them quite well).

Oh man the roaring you got it too? I used to get it as a kid as well. The way I would describe it is like a deafening sound, except you 'heard' it not with your ears, but with your soul. I actually percieved the roaring as the voices of people, even though I could never make out any actual words. It was like the overlapping voices of millions of people, and along with this I could feel a staggering presence. It was kinda scary but also exciting. Back then I just accepted that it was something that would happen everynow and then in my dreams; only now do i realise it was a bit weird.

Wow.Thats fascinating. I have never heard the 'roaring' described like that but I think I understand what you mean. ( I have read descriptions of out-of-the-body experiences where people have described a kind of initial intense vibration, which I guess is the same thing) But voices? Thats not quite how it seemed to me, but I did sense an immense form of energy, both around me. and inside me at the same time. It did seem like a presence, too, but I am not sure of what!
In the beginning, this experience used to frighten me (I was very young) and I would struggle to "wake up" to normal consciousness (usually unsuccessfully!) but later, although it still felt scary, I learnt to 'go with it' .The feeling of being 'out of the body' was quite pleasant, although as I have said, I have never been able to decide if it was real , maybe an altered state of consciousness, or simply some kind of dream. But it occurs to me now I think more about it that even these three options blend into each other and are not clear cut!
Quote:
On the general topic of the so called 'paranormal'- telepathy=real. That much at least I know, from experience. Beyond that...well I tend to keep a critical but open mind on these matters. I need to go to bed now, I might share my thoughts on some specifics tomorrow.

I hope you will tell us more.

Glenn

'All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night .... wake in the day to find that it was vanity:but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible' (T.E.Lawrence)

venom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2005, 8:58 am

Quote:
I did sense an immense form of energy, both around me. and inside me at the same time.

Quote:
The way I would describe it is like a deafening sound, except you 'heard' it not with your ears, but with your soul

It seems like we're getting at the same thing. Feeling it around you and inside of you- thats what i was trying to express by saying you felt it with your soul.

I've got a bit more detail-

I would always be drawn toward one spot; the presences seemed to focus on this one spot, and feeling this, so would I. So here I am, along with these mind bogglingly immense (not immense in size, it should be noted, but rather in presence. My visual conception of them was undefined very nearly to the point of being non-existent.) beings. And at this focal point, the feeling of this roaring grows in intensity. It was vibrating, reverberating and I would get a feeling of almost unbearable 'bigness', but not really big in size, more big in depth, if that makes sense. So the beings are congregating around this point, and I feel that I should make some contribution to this field that they are focusing on. I try to do so; but to no discernable effect. My presence is almost completely drowned out by this perception of infinity and also the immense beings around me.

I would have this experience maybe every few months or so. And it would happen as I've described it above the same each time. It was distinctly different from my normal dreams because my normal dreams where usually quite hazy and undefined (ie they didnt really have a coherent narrative) but this experience I felt with distinct clarity.

Another experience I used to get as a kid used to occur when I was awake. Every now and then I would be dumbstruck by the fact of existence. I used to think to myself the exact words "It didn't have to happen, but it did". By 'it' I literally meant everything- the big bang, leading to the universe, leading to 5 or 6 year old me. It seemed oddly surprising to me that there should be something instead of nothing. Then I would sort of confirm that 'yes its true, I do exist', and consider my normal, everyday life with a sort of surprised fascination. And this wasn't some sort of philosophical rumination- I would feel this realisation- to use the phrase again, with my soul. It was a deep, heart rending realisation that THIS IS REALITY, and YOU ARE PART OF IT.

well, thats it for now..

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2005, 7:52 pm

I think some paranormal things are interesting. I've read a little bit about those sort of things, but it is not a main interest or obsession of mine. At the same time, though, I also don't believe in a lot of the paranormal things I read about.

I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in something like ghosts. I believe that after a person dies, they are able to leave a sort of 'handprint' of their soul or feelings. I don't think they haunt places or people either. It's more like a little piece of them has been left behind. I don't believe in apparitions, where they look like people. I don't think we can see them. It's more like you can just feel them.

I've read quite a bit about UFOs, and I don't think they are real. There is just too much evidence against them. There have been many times in the past when people believed they had seen a UFO, but it turned out that the military had been testing a new aircraft. I saw a show on TV a couple years ago about a phenomenon called 'losing time'. I don't remember exactly what the show said, but it is something psychological where a person goes into another state of conciousness for a certain amount of time. During this, they still walk around (it is like sleepwalking, but they are awake). So when they regain their sense of self, they could be in entirely different place and not sure of what has happened. Most of the people who claim that they have been abducted by aliens have actually experienced this phenomenon.

I've also read about Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster. I don't believe in the myths exactly, but I do think that they might actually be based on an actual animal of some type. In the case of Bigfoot, he appears in the legends of some Native American tribes. Some experts think that in the Pacific Northwest there may have been some sort of man/bear/ape-like creature that lived in the forest thousands of years ago. I think the same might be true of the Loch Ness monster. There is also the bunyip of Australian folklore. Archeologists have recently found fossils of a huge (slightly larger than a bear) wombat-like animal with huge teeth that lived thousands of years ago, too.

I believe that there are aliens of some type. There has to be. I just don't think they have arrived on Earth or that they abduct people. As one of the most famous lines from the movie Contact goes, 'But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space. '

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2005, 8:00 pm

Quote:
I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in something like ghosts. I believe that after a person dies, they are able to leave a sort of 'handprint' of their soul or feelings. I don't think they haunt places or people either. It's more like a little piece of them has been left behind. I don't believe in apparitions, where they look like people. I don't think we can see them. It's more like you can just feel them.

I'm not sure what I think ghosts are, but I think it may vary from case to case.

In some incidents, I do believe what you've said, that it is sort of a residual energy left over from a person, or even an event.

As for ghosts not looking like people, well, believe me or not, that's fine, but I have seen two ghosts that looked like people, and one that took the form of a dark, featureless figure. I have also seen and felt other apparitions that did not look like much of anything, just dark shapes moving, almost like shadows (with nothing casting them), and also just the sensation that there is something "other" in the room with me.

Quote:
I believe that there are aliens of some type. There has to be. I just don't think they have arrived on Earth or that they abduct people.

My brother once jokingly suggested that alien abductions and UFO sitings are just teenage aliens who just got their liscences going out for a joy ride :D .

He has other more serious theories on the matter, many involving enlightenment of the human race. I don't really agree with him, though.

Quote:
As one of the most famous lines from the movie Contact goes, 'But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space. '

I agree completely.

And.. I just realized after so many years, that that is a pun! :)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2005, 8:49 pm

I believe in UFO's, because they can be classed as several things. I've seen natural phenomenon that obviously isn't a spaceship, but it's still un-identified and still flying.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2005, 10:27 pm

Quote:
I believe in UFO's, because they can be classed as several things. I've seen natural phenomenon that obviously isn't a spaceship, but it's still un-identified and still flying.

I wasn't talking about just unidentified flying objects in general. I used the term 'UFO' to mean spaceship. (And, yes, I do know that using it just for that definition is not exactly accurate, sorry.)

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2005, 8:51 am

Bec wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't talking about just unidentified flying objects in general. I used the term 'UFO' to mean spaceship. (And, yes, I do know that using it just for that definition is not exactly accurate, sorry.)

The problem I have with UFOs (as in the visitors from another planet variety) is simply: Do they want us to see them or not? If they do want us to see them, then why don't they just land at half-time in the World Cup final or the Superbowl, or take out an ad in the New York Times or whatever? If they don't want us to see them, then why do they fly around in big, shiny, silver, radar-visible spaceships with loads of coloured flashing lights all over them? :? Personally, I don't think there can be any doubt whatsover that there is life elsewhere in the Universe (the odds against us being alone are simply so astronomically unlikely as to be ridiculous), a good chunk of which will be intelligent - the question is are they here, flying around earth in giant mobile disco light-shows, wearing "grey" costumes, abducting rednecks and mutilating cattle? I find it unlikely they are to be honest...... If there are aliens visiting earth, there's no way with their technology that we'd ever see or perceive them.

FuzzyChickens
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2005, 8:59 pm

There's nothing paranormal about extraterrestrials, we've had contact with them for milennia. What's the big deal?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2005, 10:09 pm

We're aliens - if life exists anywhere beyond this planet.

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2005, 11:03 pm

Psychlone wrote:
Do any of you believe or have an interest in the paranormal? I mean things like ghosts, bigfoot, nessie, UFOs, extraterrestrials, etc. I happen to be obsessed with such things. :wink:

I've always had an huge interest in stuff like that..Do you ever listen to Coast to Coast AM? It airs overnight and most cities carry it..they have a website too, if you want to look..

I also like magazines like Fortean Times and the Skeptic Inquirer that are filled with articles and stories about paranormal and unusual things..

I don't live far from where they found that strange dog last year..they said it was just a sick-looking malnourished (thus the bluish skin) coyote, but hehe..i don't think so (it was a chupacabra, i think)

***jiminy crickets!! i'm a ..butterfly..now??***

Dan
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2005, 4:16 am

I personally haven't had any paranormal experiences, but my great-uncle Ed did.

Ed was clinically dead. He left his body, and hovered above it watching the doctors making one last attempt to restart his heart. He heard the voice of God saying, "It's not your time yet." And then he woke up.

The strangest part is, he accurately remembered the conversation his doctors were having when he was "dead". The doctors were shocked when he told them this.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 7:48 pm

Mel wrote:
Bump :D

Why are you doing that?

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 7:57 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Mel wrote:
Bump :D

Why are you doing that?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... pic&t=1807

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2005, 12:17 pm

Peter Jennings did a special on UFO's last night (24th) on ABC..did anyone watch it?

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2006, 4:20 pm

I'm interested in that stuff, mostly extraterrestrials and UFOs.