Appropriate time to talk about negative topics vs. positive

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

On several occasions now, I have been known to talk about negative events to everyone at positive events and I often been told that I seem to talk about things that make me upset. I am starting to notice this myself and I am working extra hard to try and improve this. At the same time, I don't want to be something that I am not and try to slap on the phoney either. So, I would like to ask, how do I be more positive in a situation even though I have things going on that bother me? When is it appropriate to talk about negative verses positive things with friends who I really feel attached to?

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 2:21 am

I freaked lots and lots of NTs out because they thought that I was too negative. Now, I'm trying my best to listen more to them and talk less about myself. When they talk about their achievements, they generally won't stop, so just smile and appreciate what they say. Unless you are very very close to your friends, steer away from negative issues if possible.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 3:09 am

See I dont know if your like me. I sometimes talk my negative frustrations to death and that alone is not a good thing even for you. When you talk excessively about your frustrations, you tend to dwell on things more easily.

Id say with most people, just dont talk about it. This doesnt mean you need to be all cheery. Just put on a more neutral tone.

Keep the negativity to a minimum unless your talking to a close friend. Even with close friends dont beat the negativity more then you have to.