Do you tend to be more forgetful when you are busy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2011, 4:19 am

I took a shower earlier today and was planning to print an email after that. When I was washing my face I found that I had used up my cleanser, so I washed it for recycling. After I was done with my shower I took my moisturiser and the empty cleanser tube out of the bathroom. With these two things my hands were full and I was planning to go back for my clothes. But by the time I put back my moisturiser and left the cleanser tube to dry, I had completely forgotten about my clothes and went straight to print my email. I only just discovered my dirty clothes. (*>_<*)

Usually this happens when I have to do things which are not part of my daily routine (e.g. print email, wash cleanser tube).

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 4:52 am

Yes, I tend to be single minded and can only do one thing at a time. Funny though, I used to be able to manage it when I worked in a restaurant, except I would be near meltdown mode at the end of my shift. If I am in a rush I am much more easily distracted and my mind feels too overloaded to work.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 4:57 am

There are more things to forget when I'm busy, but I think my forgetfulness is pretty uniform regardless of what I'm doing. I might notice it more when I'm not busy, because when I'm not busy, I don't have anything that I must do, so I feel no sense of urgency to retain anything. If I'm busy, I can get very galvanised and focussed on my tasks.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the best person to know how much I forget, because to know I've forgotten something, I have to remember that there was something to remember.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

When I am mildly busy I feel mentally stimulated and can probably remember more than when I have nothing much to do. It's when I am extremely busy or busy wth some important task that forgetfulness becomes a problem, also the need to take a rest whether or not every crucial task has been completed.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

I'm so forgetful even when I'm not busy that I don't think there's much of a difference.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Yes i have that really badly, i even forget to eat, drink and breath if that wouldn't be automatic :P
but i like it because the end result of what i was working in would be magnificent.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

I'm forgetful any way. But i am more forgetful when i busy.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 11:56 pm

OP, I've been in similar situations to yours countless times. It's part of the way we process things, which is what author Donna Williams referred to as "monotrack" or one thing at a time. It is hard to keep track of multiple things at once, not to mention frustrating!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

20 Sep 2011, 12:09 am

Jory wrote:
I'm so forgetful even when I'm not busy that I don't think there's much of a difference.

+1

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2011, 3:21 am

Anyone who's every worked with me will tell you that my apologetic catch cry is "I'm not one of those women who can multitask!"

I have to keep lists or nothing will get done.

the trials and tribulations of a girl pretending to be normal

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2011, 4:46 am

YES, lists are my saviours!

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6