Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

I'm considering assigning myself some research papers. My current coursework consists primarily of prerequisite courses, but I thought it might be worthwhile to develop some research papers that would apply what I'm learning to my end-goals, even if it wouldn't be for credit. Obviously, my assigned coursework would come first, but I think it would be beneficial (and, dare I say it, fun!) to create my own, targeted-assignments.

Has anyone else done this? Was it worth it? Any tips or advice?

Or have I just gone completely into nerd territory? :nerdy:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 8:43 pm

Sounds like it would be fun. If you have access to libraries that have more than just shoddy little 8th grade reading level books, even more awesome. When I was a kid in Texas I used to love researching about dinosaurs, ancient history, submarines, the operations of chemical lasers, electric generators, and reading collegiate level books on engineering subjects. Living in Minnesota, all the public libraries ever have here are "Magic School Bus" series and the like.... it's rather depressing.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

I have access to my university's library, so I have access to decent books, interlibrary loan for other materials, and peer-reviewed journals (online and hardcopy). Thanks for the feedback.

FYI, you should check to see if your local public library offers interlibrary loan. It's a pretty good way to get materials you can't get otherwise.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm

My libraries around here do offer interlibrary loan, but it's more of a hassle than anything else since there's no renewal of loan items, meaning 2 weeks and then a bunch of rigmarole if you want to get it back. Personally, I just prefer to go to used bookstores and buy textbooks and source books so that I have the books for keeps rather than worry about some arbitrary deadline to return them by.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 2:23 am

I think that's a great idea!

Think of some interesting, provocative question about your field of study, then read, learn, analyze, and write!! !! ! :D

I love JSTOR for research. It has great journal articles for history and the social sciences.