Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lunaloo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2011, 7:17 am

While I'm generally a big fan of using alcohol to help cope with social situations, I would definitely not use it in an interview. There is a good chance the interviewer would be able to tell and in that case, you've blown any chance you may have had. I'd recommend instead something like xanax. It would be best to take some ahead of time, though, to know how you react to it.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2011, 7:47 am

lunaloo wrote:
While I'm generally a big fan of using alcohol to help cope with social situations, I would definitely not use it in an interview. There is a good chance the interviewer would be able to tell and in that case, you've blown any chance you may have had. I'd recommend instead something like xanax. It would be best to take some ahead of time, though, to know how you react to it.

Probably true. Sound advice.

Course I still say go for the gonzo. 3 drinks isn't gonna get you drunk or even silly. Just confident enough to converse properly. Xanax has never done this for me, less anxious yes, more confident and conversable, no.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

lunaloo wrote:

This. I would also recommend an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant such as Celexa or Cipralex. The difference before and after taking it is like night and day, and you really do become more confident, especially in high pressure social situations.

You should never use alcohol to overcome situations like that. It's fine to have a drink at parties to make you more sociable (keep in mind I say A drink, and not 3 or 13), but chances are if you are not in those types of settings, people will more easily be able to tell if you are drinking or not.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

I wouldn't recommend it but i gotta admit that chances are big that it works :P
i does to me atleast. (tho i hate alcohol and just promised myself to never drink it again).
alcohol makes me hate everything, even my favorite music.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.