confessions of an undiagnosed college student

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

the_knifehorse_show
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2011, 7:11 am

Hello everyone,

Here now, because I do not know where I should be. Know of no where else to go.

I am 22 years old, in fifth year of college.

Have visual-auditory synaesthesia- every song I hear has a specific range of colors depending on what key its in. Also, monotone sounds like airplanes, vacuum cleaners, snowblowers have colors as well.

Answering telephones or calling people with them makes me anxious. Sometimes get overwhelmed in loud, bustling areas, large lecture halls. I engage in calming behaviors such as waving my hands, bouncing up and down, rocking back and forth, humming, only at home, only behind closed doors, as if its something to be ashamed of.

It has been burned into my skull, the acceptable modes of behavior. I carefully analyze the actions and appearances of others and change myself accordingly. I did this to survive, to have the privilege of being treated like an autonomous human being. I never enjoy it.

No diagnosis so far, except depression. I noticed that my depression symptoms disappear when I'm engaged in something I enjoy. The true diagnosis of this should be 'loneliness and boredom' then. As for my neurologically unusual traits, my unacceptable behaviors, I would not medicate them away for anything in the world.

Current job? Teacher aide for autistic children and teens at an after-school program.

Now how did I end up here...

When I was four years old, a teacher at preschool suspected I had autism. I was running around ceaselessly, stuffing paper in my mouth. Hitting other kids. Slamming my head on the wall. My parents said of course she doesn't have the bad a-word, she's smart and can write her name and address. Parents pulled me from the program and tossed me into regular school at five.

Big mistake, I think. Was always anxious and scared, always laughed at. Classmates found it easy to take advantage of my kindness or make me cry. Family, teachers, classmates used to always tell me that I'm too weak, I act like a baby. Classroom gets too loud, an unexpected change of schedule, I start crying. Classmates laugh and teacher sternly admonishes. No defense from parents. No sympathy, no comfort. I learned to self-injure very early; scratching myself, head banging, holding my breath until my lungs hurt.

For entire life, felt like there was a layer underneath conversations that I couldn't understand or even see. I would wonder if there was something I was expected to say or give, but I did not know how to provide it.

I have had a long isolated life.

I work a lot, and the students I work with make me happy. I have more in common with them than I will ever have in common with my coworkers, my classmates at school, my family. The students are mostly nonverbal, and a lot cleverer than the other teachers and our coordinator make them out to be. When its time to leave, I usually do not want to.

At school, I talk to no one. At my apartment, my roommate talks AT me, sometimes for hours at a time without stopping. At home, I'm usually slumped over in a chair feeling too heavy to move, a cloud of gray in front of my eyes. I periodically lose the ability to speak, and far from causing me to be anxious, these are the only moments in which I experience peace.

I can't remember the last conversation with another human being that I actually enjoyed. I think it was over three years ago.

My "friends" were people who acted extra nice to me, and then asked for help with their homework assignments. When they got better at the subject, or had no more requests for me such as borrowing a pen, we were not "friends" anymore. It was my second year of college when I realized the only time anyone tried to contact me was when they needed something, some advice or help with academics. Those people weren't interested in how I was doing, in starting a conversation with me.

I cannot tolerate sharp changes in voice tone. This was a constant source of entertainment for my family members. When someone raises their voice, it feels like my eardrums are being ripped like paper, my skin sweats cold, I feel like I'm going to collapse.

My roommate also confirmed this with me, how "easy" I am, how other people can play upon my sensitivity to make me do what they want. I realized within the last year, that when a person was going to do something bad to me, they had a facial expression where they twisted the corner of their mouth. My roommate tells me that this is called a "smirk".

Even if I told you the number of times I have been raped, beaten, publicly and privately humiliated in an infinitely creative variety of ways by 'normal' people, people that are supposedly wired for empathy, it wouldn't matter. I have been openly laughed at by professors, and school administrators, and started at blankly by two therapists. Did you not understand that that person was trying to hurt you, one therapist asked. The intentions of people are very clear, you can see them on their faces.

Obviously then, I cannot read faces. And therefore what happened to me was all my fault.

These days, I thoroughly enjoy my time alone. I love taking long walks, reading, writing, sitting and enjoying the weather. When someone tries to engage me in conversation, I am overcome with a feeling of hot rage. The less time I have to spend around people, the happier I am. Except for my students; they are the only people who I have encountered that actually seem human, that spending time with doesn't drain all of my energy.

So here I am. I have a lot more to say, but that can be saved for later; basically my observations about school programs for autistic people, about the people providing the services, the disservices I see being done. And also the lack of accommodations at a certain university contributing to my severely depressed state and terrible grades.

And right now I am glad to have found this place, and look forward to positive experiences here. Thanks for listening.

identity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 8:40 am

Hello the_knifehorse_show and welcome to Wrong Planet!

I hope you manage to feel less isolated here. :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 3:48 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

EmilyVictoria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2011, 5:30 pm

You really aren't alone. I can assure you. I am a 27 year old AS female and I went through years of allowing bad things to happen to me because of my inability to understand the humans properly. My only advice would be this. Its ok to be alone and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are happy on your own then be on your own. If you want human contact then you are doing the right thing coming to a place like this to meet people who understand and won't judge you or think you are wierd. I would recommend a pet like a rabbit or cat, that makes little noise, to keep you company when you are on your own. You have an incredible gift, learn how you can control it and you will start to see it in a different light. Get some ear defenders, you can get really funky ones on ebay that look like headphones and wear them when you are out in town to stop the noises like police sirens and car horns from breaking your skull. or if you want to be more discrete use industrial ear plugs. I was also diagnosed with depression at 15, they like to pin that one on us because its easy. Of course you are bored if you have nothing challenging you. Coming to a network like this is a step in the right direction, you aren't different you just haven't found others the same as you yet. And as for the fashion and looking to other poeple thing, I to did that for years and like you said it leads to nothing short of an identity crisis at the very least. If you like it wear it. If you want it buy it, pretty soon people will admire your individuality x x x

Samarda
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

^ Mental Illness is also an erroneous societal/political causation , look at some tribal villages who actually go beyond prejudice in outsiders , who consequently betray them..

On the bright side Aspies are the next stage of human evolution:
( once daily observations from Forensic Psychiatry about our less downplayed negative aspects are completely erased )

They are the main the source of
-Material culture and technology ,
-Philosophy and self-reflection
-Art, music, and literature but once applied well , however misinterpertations of good moral intentions by the social dynamics of Neurotypicals , turn a quest of cognitive aesthetics into a disaster and I'm not going to lecture you about the history of the world to prove my proposition.

Who wouldn't be in a existentialist abyss like the many others on this site , thus the reason the name of the site was created , oh and welcome.

kraai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2011, 12:40 am

As a mum of an Asperger, yet still undiagnosed, i feel my heart break at your story of your life. I want to believe ppl are basically good, but when i hear your story, i can tell that the negative experiences are far more represented.. I try to understand my son, and give him good feelings about himself, and its difficult to see his lonelyness and him getting depressed. It feels important to have a forum like wrong planet to be able to share thoughts...you might feel you are on the wrong planet, it doesnt have to be a lonely planet though. Hope you can find what you are looking for here.
How does you parents cope with your being different?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

Welkome to WP!

Mick :D

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image