Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:50 pm

Verdandi wrote:
My only regret was that I did not know about Daleks for another 10 years, as I believe "EX-TER-MIN-ATE" is totally appropriate for children to say.

It is absolutely adorable to watch a 6 and 8 year old chase each other in circles holding knitted daleks yelling exterminate at each other.

zobier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

Jory wrote:
Robots and dinosaurs.

Two things other Aspies seem to love.

Extra points for robotic dinosaurs.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 10:02 pm

zobier wrote:
Jory wrote:
Robots and dinosaurs.

Robotic dinosaurs conducting trains.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm

Burnbridge wrote:
That's funny ... Cmdr Data seems like a poor caricature of an Asperglar. Like how he is trying to understand humor, but doesn't get the rhythm and timing of it...

Aparently he is a sterotype. Everytime some one brings him up to describe AS, I want to strangle them. How can they even compare him? He's a robot, not a person. :evil: :evil: :evil:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
zobier wrote:
Jory wrote:
Robots and dinosaurs.

There actually is a children's show (in the US at least) called Dinosaur Train. I haven't seen it myself, but every time I see the title scroll by on the TV guide channel, I can't help but think "this has got to be some autistic kid's dream come true".

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 2:05 am

IdahoRose wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
zobier wrote:
Jory wrote:
Robots and dinosaurs.

There actually is a children's show (in the US at least) called Dinosaur Train. I haven't seen it myself, but every time I see the title scroll by on the TV guide channel, I can't help but think "this has got to be some autistic kid's dream come true".

I once read somewhere either here or another AS fourm that Dinosaur Train is "very spectrum focused".

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 6:55 pm

Bender (asleep): Kill all humans.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

I loved robots as a kid. Love them now, too. My big dream before I die is to make a giant pilotable mecha. But even as a small child, of like 5, I liked the robot from lost in space, I had robot toys, etc, I just positively loved robots.

But the biggest thing came in like, 6th grade or so. GUNDAM! That was a big...hobby (not gonna say obsession, though everyone else says it was, but they're just haters) I currently have like 30+ Gundam kits, I just positively LOVE Gundam. And Patlabor. Maybe Patlabor more than Gundam. Or maybe not. I don't know. Mecha is still like my favorite genre of racing animes. As I got older, I liked cars, as cars sorta get piloted, and they're easily attainable and modifiable. I like racing animes like Initial D and Wangan Midnight. Matter of fact, that's what got me into cars in the first place. My dad showing me NASCAR as a kid and getting me toy cars didn't do too much, but Initial D turned me on the downward spiral that is my life. But, I like cars, as it's like the closest machine I can get to "piloting" in real life.

But yeah, before I start rambling forever about Gundam and how cool it is, yes, as...whatever I am, I like robots. First starting with traditional nonpiloted robots evolving to piloted robots.

[img][800:768]http://yeyenman.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Photo-00801-1024x768.jpg[/img]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5DQcqGbuU[/youtube]
Patlabor is so cool, I love the lyrics to this song too. Man, Patlabor, such a great show. Everyone please stop everything you're doing right now and watch Patlabor.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

25 Oct 2011, 7:27 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I loved robots as a kid. Love them now, too. My big dream before I die is to make a giant pilotable mecha. But even as a small child, of like 5, I liked the robot from lost in space, I had robot toys, etc, I just positively loved robots.

But the biggest thing came in like, 6th grade or so. GUNDAM! That was a big...hobby (not gonna say obsession, though everyone else says it was, but they're just haters) I currently have like 30+ Gundam kits, I just positively LOVE Gundam. And Patlabor. Maybe Patlabor more than Gundam. Or maybe not. I don't know. Mecha is still like my favorite genre of racing animes. As I got older, I liked cars, as cars sorta get piloted, and they're easily attainable and modifiable. I like racing animes like Initial D and Wangan Midnight. Matter of fact, that's what got me into cars in the first place. My dad showing me NASCAR as a kid and getting me toy cars didn't do too much, but Initial D turned me on the downward spiral that is my life. But, I like cars, as it's like the closest machine I can get to "piloting" in real life.

But yeah, before I start rambling forever about Gundam and how cool it is, yes, as...whatever I am, I like robots. First starting with traditional nonpiloted robots evolving to piloted robots.

[img][800:768]http://yeyenman.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Photo-00801-1024x768.jpg[/img]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5DQcqGbuU[/youtube]
Patlabor is so cool, I love the lyrics to this song too. Man, Patlabor, such a great show. Everyone please stop everything you're doing right now and watch Patlabor.

Thanks for your post! I just realized that my interest wasn't necessarily in "robots", like mecha robots (I actually dislike gundam wing type of shows), I'm more into cyborgs and androids and more "human" robots.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

Yeah, I mean, I don't dislike cyborg or android kinda things, as a kid I named one of my cats "Data" from Star Trek, but yeah, definitely like the whole mecha idea better. Gundam Wing is kinda lame, though, should have watched a UC Gundam show like Gundam 0083 or 08th MS Team. Man I love Gundam. If I lived in Japan, and I was a successful businessman, I'd have all my Gundam models on my desk and I'd be super cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXp4vswvqcE[/youtube]

BTW, that big picture of the RX-78 Gundam. Real statue in Japan. Kickass.

Last edited by 1000Knives on 25 Oct 2011, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:11 pm

I do like them, now.
But I was deathly afraid of them as a kid... and mostly any other machinery for that matter. I'm still not comfortable around some things. And "robotic puppets", like the ones they have at Disney World, creep me out to high heavens.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Oct 2011, 8:31 pm

My first fascination with a robot was probably the one in the old Lost in Space television show. Then, I remember getting an erector set for Christmas one year, and one of the things you could build was a robot. That was my favorite thing to build in that set. And, I used to try to build a robot out of tinker toys. As a child I found robots quite magical and mysterious. In the 1970s I loved to watch the comedy team of Shields and Yarnell do their robot like routines.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

No, I always found them creepy. The exception would be Gir from Invader Zim. I don't think Bunnie Rabot from Sonic SatAM counts becuase she is half rabbit.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2011, 3:49 am

I have never liked or admired robots. I find them rather creepy.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:09 am

I like computers. A robot is just a computer carrying out a program, after all; the robot itself--unless you're into mechanical engineering--is incidental to the job. It's the programming that's important.

And yeah, I do like programming. I'll never be a professional programmer, however much my programming profs try to push me into it; but I've spent many a happy afternoon (or, y'know, midnight) picking through chunks of code.

The lovely thing about a computer: It does exactly, exactly what you tell it to do. Which means, if it messes up (barring hardware issues), it's because you didn't phrase your instructions correctly. You don't have to worry that it won't understand; you don't have to worry that it won't listen. You just have to think about what you are saying and how you are saying it, and you can trust that the computer will do exactly as it's told. I like that. Pure logic. No fuzziness.

Of course, if I want a relationship with an actual person, I've got to go to human beings (or animals, for that matter). The lack of fuzziness in a computer program is also what makes them intrinsically non-sentient, unable to make their own choices or think about their own existence. I think, if we ever create a sentient computer program, we'd need to have a fundamentally different kind of computer to run it on.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:50 am

'Lost in space' had a cute robot that was the lead actor.....

Spock was very very very popular

Edward Scissorhands was a massive hit

people love robots