should psychology be funded
yay 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
nay 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

oddtism
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2011, 4:19 am

I am in a optimistic state right now and thought I'd post a thread. Just to cross swords with the musings that psychological diagnosis' symptoms have not only on aspies, but all people with perceived psychological disorders.
If you look in dictionaries you would know psychology is juxtaposed as a branch science. [satire]Right.. And I suppose alcohol is not a drug[/satire].
Tax payers' money is funding the practice of empirically stereotyping society. Instead of funding the fundamental.

Kail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2011, 5:01 am

it sounds like a global semantic battle, slowly swaying off the path of logic into the dark realms of fiction? er something like that

oddtism
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2011, 6:32 am

Anyway, psychologists can't cure any disorders. I wonder if there will be a day when philanthropist do their job free of charge.

Kail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2011, 7:12 am

What I've read about the DSM V looks very promising,

yah :(

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 7:21 am

It's that whole cultural thing - the way misfits and the not quite right are demonised, marginalised and generally treated as disposable.

Yes, it'd be good to change it, but it's going to be a long haul. First we'll have to wait while all the undiagnosed autistic adults either die off or can be seduced into accepting diagnosis. Moving the psychiatric goalposts is part of that. It won't be long until there are substantial numbers of adult aspies who've lived most of their lives with diagnosis, and that'll move the goalposts again.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

Quote:
Anyway, psychologists can't cure any disorders.

They have a pretty good track record with anxiety and depression, and have had some success with PTSD-spectrum conditions as well.

And there are many people with boplar or schizophrenic spectrum conditions who function much better because of our understanding of psychiatric medications. (Sure, there are others who haven't been helped, but that's true for any branch of medicine.)

And psychology's not just about labeling abnormal people. That's one branch of psychology - abnormal psychology. Other branches focus on various aspects of how NTs think, such as social psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology. They touch on abnormalities but don't focus on them.

Regarding whether or not it's a science, it obviously is. They do systematic observation of data to measure hypotheses. That's what science is. It doesn't really matter what you're studying, if you study it by systematic observation and by seeking to disprove your hypotheses, you're doing science. (I find fantasy books that suggest a basic incompatibility between magic and science ridiculous for this reason - you could just as easily do systematic tests of magic if it existed.)