I need your advice about a situation with my son.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

Yesterday was an all day marching practice. I am on the board of directors for our boosters and volunteer to help feed the kids. While cleaning up after dinner last night, I asked a couple of the moms how they thought it would go over if one of our kids wore a rival uniform to school, they said - not well.

I think this is different than helping choose clothing and individuating. I think this is a social rule that your son may not know. Clothing and style issues are about the wearer. Wearing a rival uniform would be making a statement that says, I am not loyal to our uniform but to the rivals. Even if that wouldn't be his intention, that is what would be heard.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

Thank you for your input Kailuamom---that does indeed make sense. I feel very fortunate that so many of you have responded to this thread---it has truly helped. I will be strongly urging against him wearing my old uniform to his school's dress-up day. He has another idea for a Halloween costume that would work for his dress-up day instead.

And here is something interesting that happened today. He was playing Guitar Hero this afternoon. I mentioned to him that I had an old electric guitar and an amp to go with it. I asked him if he would like to have them. He quickly said yes. So I dug them out for him. His band director allows the students to bring in an instrument other than the ones they play for a sort of show and tell thing at his school. He asked if he could take my old guitar in for his instrument show and tell. That is fine by me. Now he can share something musical with his friends at school that used to be mine.

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 12:17 am

Glider that sounds perfect!

My DH has been finding connection with our DS # around music too. It has really been a bridge for them.

aspiesmoms11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

I am in agreement with the others here. Your son needs to find something else to wear. The rival school thing is the biggest reason. I'm not sure how big the rival thing is in your town, but just my experience...rival means just that- rivals!! They do not like each other. Your son would possibly be harassed or teased or even hurt, physically. The other reason is because this is something of yours you do not want ruined. And sometimes, the answer is NO! Hopefully, he will just accept that. It's really cool that he likes band and this is probably a group that accepts him well just for who he is.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

Thank you Aspiesmoms11---I am relieved at all the responses here that support my concerns over this. I am confident he will understand not being allowed to wear the uniform.

postcards57
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2011, 8:14 pm

Bumping the message a bit, because I'd love to know what happened. Did your son understand your decision? I think it's so great your son is fond of your uniform, and hope he'll get to wear it on Hallowe'en.
J.