Thinking of asking a girl i work with out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Urthred
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2011, 12:47 am

Hey folks been a while since I've been on but if you would be so kind i could use some advise from people other than my bitter twiced divorced father.
Anyway, we got a new girl at my work whose honestly rather gorgeous and has a great personality and to be quite frank I've fallen quite hard for her and I've been trying to talk myself into asking her out but I have rediscovered my complete lack knowledge or skill in accomplishing this. Luckily we share the same major in college (Anthropology) and take the same exams so I've been thinking of saying something like "Hey if your interested we could meet and study together sometime or maybe just get some drinks". I worried this might just knock me into some kind of tutor position and have it end there. Is this acceptable dating proposition or is she just going to think of me as study resource? Any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 1:09 am

Go for it. You are in the perfect position to get to know her and vise versa via study dates. If she consents this will enable the potential for a real relationship based in a natural setting for attraction to grow. If you end up the tutor, then it didn't work.

bigcoop
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2011, 2:48 am

MountainLaurel wrote:
Go for it. You are in the perfect position to get to know her and vise versa via study dates. If she consents this will enable the potential for a real relationship based in a natural setting for attraction to grow. If you end up the tutor, then it didn't work.

I second this. I would recommend trying not to come off to strong to where it could become awkward to work with her later on. I've had a couple of romantic relationships stem from work, I would only caution you to be precise in your approach(don't come off too strong). If ya'll work similar hours, I would have you consider meeting for coffee or something afterwards. Good Luck chief, you can do it. #1 thing is confidence.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 3:19 am

This sounds like a great plan. The only change I would make is to have a study session, and then sdk her out for drinks or dinner afterward. Or you could "celebrate" a good exam the same way. Just be careful not to let the opportunities pile up too much without going to the next step. Then, if you are prone to it, you might lose your nerve.

Urthred

23 Sep 2011, 7:06 am

Thanks for the advice folks I just wasn't sure if i was going to offend her somehow or something by using the class study as a way of approaching her but Im glad to see it doesn't come off as creepy or insane (at least on paper). I have a tendency of being completely oblivious to flirting and things like it so maybe the study session with her first isn't a bad idea, Thanks again

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 7:43 am

Urthred wrote:
Thanks for the advice folks I just wasn't sure if i was going to offend her somehow or something by using the class study as a way of approaching her but Im glad to see it doesn't come off as creepy or insane (at least on paper). I have a tendency of being completely oblivious to flirting and things like it so maybe the study session with her first isn't a bad idea, Thanks again

This approach actually worked for me...so I highly recommend it. And by 'work' I mean, I got a proper date out of it. She had a bf at the time...so I'm not sure what was going on...testing the waters or something.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 8:18 am

Your plan, study session first ask her out for drinks later, sounds great. Good luck, dude. Let us know how it goes.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

Noooo. Don't do it. It will just end in a disaster and then it will be all awkward between the two of you for as long as you work together.

I'll be honest. If you knew how to ask a woman out and how to take her out on a nice date, you would have done it already. You wouldn't be posting your intent on an AS forum. :-/ Instead you'd be telling us about a cool new girl you are dating.

Don't do it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

i'd say ask her out. worst case scenario is awkwardness i it doesn't work out. and since you are both studying i doubt you are employed at that job permanently. i got turned down by a guy and then had to work in a cubicle 10 feet away from him for a year afterwards! your opportunity may turn out to be a flop but it's good practice regardless. awkwardness passes but regret lingers on.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

i say: arrange a study day with her. Suggest a coffee with the second study day and keep your eye out for any signs. Then over coffee ask her out properly. Then if she says no be quick to reassure her that it's cool and there will be no awkwardness. Or something. and hi, hyper! I'm using my phone from my mum's house to be here:s

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 10:34 pm

bucephalus wrote:
i say: arrange a study day with her. Suggest a coffee with the second study day and keep your eye out for any signs. Then over coffee ask her out properly. Then if she says no be quick to reassure her that it's cool and there will be no awkwardness. Or something. and hi, hyper! I'm using my phone from my mum's house to be here:s

^^^^ looks like an excellent plan, and gives him time to test the water.

hi!! !! !!

Urthred

24 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

Well I did it. I asked her if she wanted to get together and study and she said YES! but she also said she has a friend that needs help as well so now I guess I'm kinda confused i think she likes me she keeps finding me to ask little questions at work and things like that is the friend thing some kind of warning flag saying back off or is it just a coincidence and something i can get past. I don't mind studying with more people i just wonder if i can still ask her out this way or if i should back off and take it as a rejection of sorts?

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

Good job.

The friend thing could mean several things but it's too early to say. It could be a chaperone that she's bringing to feel more comfortable about meeting you. That's not a big deal. Or it could be an immediate friend-zone signal. Or it could be someone who genuinely needs help and she's just thinking of her friend.

Just continue what you are doing and keep your eyes open for clues.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 12:16 am

This could be very, VERY tricky.

The old saying is 'Never fish off the company pier' and they say it for a reason. That's because if a relationship at work goes south, sometimes it affects people so badly that they can't work together ever again.

Being her friend is just fine, though. I'm not saying don't go through with it, but be very, VERY careful.