My view on getting a diagnosis (for those with doubt)

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2011, 9:57 am

First of all I should start with tellinf that I am 20 years old and just got my diagnosis this summer after a year long diagnosis track. Over the years I have had some troubles, but I had good grades and was not a troublemaker, so no-one picked up on things untill I got to University and started to do some research myself.

The following experiences are from someone living in the UK, which has a national health system, so please keep this in mind. Arriving at university was a new start for me. i picked a university situated on the other side of the country, so I did not know anyone there. The first weeks were trying with new people, but everyone was very friendly and things were going allright. I had some minor issues with my dormitory shareholders, but since the walls were not too thin and I was at the end of the corridor it was quite fine. Due to me having picked a humanities subject I had to do seminars with presentation however. After a few weeks things got really serious and I found myself lacking in the discussions as I seem to have more difficulties in talking, this also showed in socializing even though I really do not do this much. After reading things on the internet and in books about Aspergers, I really felt it was me, but was anxious that others would not agree and I was imagining things.

After plucking up the courage to talk to the dissability service which has a seperate office for autism, they directed me to an internet site. That was it. While I got on the track to be diagnosed, they gave me no support. I know that other people might abuse the system if the diagnosis was not a basis, I found that I really could have had some support from them as I was very anxious about all of it and had many sleapless nights. In the meantime I was failing the oral marks, but staying afloat because of the written work I had to do.

I finally got a diagnosis this summer. And boy what a change is that! All of a sudden, I have weekly talks with a psychiatrist who specialized in autism to help me with specific issues, I have sessions with an aspergers group to help me socialize, I get a seperate room for my exams to help me concentrate, and most of all, I will not be getting an oral mark anymore, but can substitute it with written assignments. As I get physically l when I need to do a presentation, and I am anxious the whole month before one, this is such a relief I nearly cried. (I havn't cried since I was 10 and broke my leg).

I assume that this is of course a singular case and I do not know what will happen when I leave university, but for those who are wondering if they should or shold not get a diagnosis, i really recommend it. I feel taken serious with my issues now, instead of looked upon as someone who exaggerates her problems. Although I am sad to see it works this way, and I still have to see how it works out during the course of the year, the occurances so far have curbed my anxiety a lot and I hope that this post will help others as well.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 10:39 am

I would certainly like a diagnoses, but its a bit harder to get one in the U.S, because of our healthcare system....still possible and I am trying to figure out how.