Liking Things Inappropriate for Your Age Group

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

windchime
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2012, 8:47 am

the interesting point is why do so many of us prefer childish or age inappropriate things when many of us have high IQs? For me I am pretty sure it's a certain emotional immaturity and also an attempt to "catch up" and understand the things my peers were interested in when I was little because at the time, I was too isolated and out of the loop to pick up on everything. I also used to use play with dolls and soft toys as a teenager to try to understand and navigate social situations, maybe practicing for real life. Anyone else have any ideas on the subject?

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

I think it has a lot to do with pride, nt's are usually so proud I suppose it stops them from seeing something that is truly enjoyable and well made, for example and in my case, my little pony. Weirdly enough I like a lot of things also associated with older people as well as this (I'm 17 btw) on the off occasion I drink, I only drink scotch, I like old films and my ipod is only filled with songs from the 60's or earlier(on top of 10+hours of MLP remixes but that's beside the point). I suppose aspies, not being bound by social normalities, are able to enjoy just about anything. Wouldn't you say?

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:18 am

I think that it is especially evident nowadays that a lot of kids feel pressured into appearing "mature", most of which are only able to percieve the most superficial qualities about it. I find that those who are truly mature can think for themselves and don't care what is supposedly meant for children or adults as their particular interests transcend such a boundary.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 10:44 am

Hmm, this seems relevant http://xkcd.com/150/

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

I've always been quilty of this. Supposedly Lion King is only for little kids and I was "imature" because I still liked it was nine. This was before the anime craze and at that time, if something was animated, it was automaticaly only acceptable for 0-5. I could never get into animae when it got popular. Mostly it angered me becuase it was okay to be obsessed with that but not okay to be obsessed with meerkats. The only animae I could ever get into was Sonic X but aparently a lot of people hate that, even in the original Japanese, becuase it isn't 100% consistant with the games. I could never get into the games becuase they were too hard.

My parents never really gave me any trouble about liking cartoons that I was "too old" for. My very ASish mom liked watching them as well and always told me it was okay to not go along with the crowd and if I enjoyed watching something, I should go ahead and do such.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

I'm not even entirely sure what interests are appropriate for my age group.

PurpleOctober
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm

I really like stuff that could be construed as childish....instead of a purse, I use a Tinkerbell backpack. I collect American Girl dolls, Monster High dolls, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic figures, stuffed monsters, and stuffed penguins. My bed plays host to my favorite AG doll, my favorite monster, a stuffed pig named Wilbur, a stuffed Stitch toy, and a small flowery stuffed owl named Hedwig.
I also love the Harry Potter series, both book and film. I fall asleep every night to "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".
I love Disney. I saw 'Tangled' in theatres 8 times, and own it on DVD. I really like 'Princess and the Frog', too.

random_confusion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

windchime wrote:
the interesting point is why do so many of us prefer childish or age inappropriate things when many of us have high IQs? For me I am pretty sure it's a certain emotional immaturity and also an attempt to "catch up" and understand the things my peers were interested in when I was little because at the time, I was too isolated and out of the loop to pick up on everything. I also used to use play with dolls and soft toys as a teenager to try to understand and navigate social situations, maybe practicing for real life. Anyone else have any ideas on the subject?

Yeah, I didn't get to have kids over or go to their houses and I was an outcast in school so sometimes I do feel like I'm going back and playing catch-up.

I'm 26 and I still have a stuffed animal that I sleep with and play with sometimes. My mom gave her to me when she was still alive (she died when I was less than a year old) so she means a lot to me. I also play games that people say are "For kids", I wear Hello Kitty stuff, etc.