Having Autism in this time period, better or worse?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Having autism in this time period, better or worse?
It's better, I enjoy the technology made available to us and I enjoy socializing extensively 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
It's worse, I want my privacy and I don't like everything so out in the open socially 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
I like the technology but I'm not a fan of the extensive socializing 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
The older days were a worse period because very little people knew that aspergers(autism) existed 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 29

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

I sometimes wonder if it's worse having aspergers(or autism) in this generation than in years past. The reason is because in this generation, everything is built to be so socially controlling. There are people on cellphones on every single corner on every street. If you don't own a cellphone today people think there is something wrong with you. People are obsessed with social networking sites and and live on those sites and post their entire lives on them. It's like nowadays if you don't have one, you're considered an outcast.

For this generation, if you have problems in school as an example, they can come home with you with the internet access. You've must of heard of all the online bullying people have endured and how some have killed themselves over it. It's not like the old days where problems at school, stayed at school. The main difference I realize is that years ago before the technology era, people's lives weren't dominated by devices that made their lives so socially available and out in the open. In the 80's, heck the 90's, you didn't have to worry about your privacy being exposed on the internet.

Years ago, you didn't have to worry about being forced to own a cellphone and having to text and talk to people for 15 hours a day. I know that this post might sound like it's bad mouthing socializing and I'm sure for some people, being able to be socially available so easily is a joy but for some people it's got to be frustrating. I just feel that today it's gone a bit too far. I'm the type of guy who likes living in privacy and doing my own business. I find having to call people and joining social networking sites to be really frustrating and time consuming which I refuse to do either. If I don't call people enough times, I'm accused on not liking them. I like them fine, I'd rather talk to them maybe once a week. In the old days, it was hard to contact people. You could only talk to them at home. At least back in those days, if you didn't call it meant you were busy or out. Now people can track you anywhere like a tracking device.

So my main question is do people today with aspergers(or autism) enjoy being in this generation where their lives are so easily socially accessible with a click of a button or do you long for the older days where people could live with less pressure and more privacy without having to worry about having their lives exposed so easily?

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 5:39 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
I sometimes wonder if it's worse having aspergers(or autism) in this generation than in years past. The reason is because in this generation, everything is built to be so socially controlling. There are people on cellphones on every single corner on every street. If you don't own a cellphone today people think there is something wrong with you. People are obsessed with social networking sites and and live on those sites and post their entire lives on them. It's like nowadays if you don't have one, you're considered an outcast.

For this generation, if you have problems in school as an example, they can come home with you with the internet access. You've must of heard of all the online bullying people have endured and how some have killed themselves over it. It's not like the old days where problems at school, stayed at school. The main difference I realize is that years ago before the technology era, people's lives weren't dominated by devices that made their lives so socially available and out in the open. In the 80's, heck the 90's, you didn't have to worry about your privacy being exposed on the internet.

Years ago, you didn't have to worry about being forced to own a cellphone and having to text and talk to people for 15 hours a day. I know that this post might sound like it's bad mouthing socializing and I'm sure for some people, being able to be socially available so easily is a joy but for some people it's got to be frustrating. I just feel that today it's gone a bit too far. I'm the type of guy who likes living in privacy and doing my own business. I find having to call people and joining social networking sites to be really frustrating and time consuming which I refuse to do either. If I don't call people enough times, I'm accused on not liking them. I like them fine, I'd rather talk to them maybe once a week. In the old days, it was hard to contact people. You could only talk to them at home. At least back in those days, if you didn't call it meant you were busy or out. Now people can track you anywhere like a tracking device.

So my main question is do people today with aspergers(or autism) enjoy being in this generation where their lives are so easily socially accessible with a click of a button or do you long for the older days where people could live with less pressure and more privacy without having to worry about having their lives exposed so easily?

Well I suffered from bullying at school, the internet was not as big as it is now when I was a kid....and the feelings it caused did not go away when I got home so even then it did not really stay at school. But yeah its stupid that people would use the internet as a tool to further harrass someone....I do get a little irritated with people confusing random people on the internet talking crap as legitimate bullying because in that case you can just block them or log off and never have to deal with them again.

I don't feel like it makes a lot of difference, I like using the internet but I don't think it has much impact on my quality of life.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 5:49 pm

I don't think that it's any better r worse with the technology. God puts us where he puts us. I'm happy to be alive in the world, no matter what year it is, and how much technology is out there. The only reason that I have with the 21st Century is Autism Speaks and what they're trying to do with their money. Other than that, I think that this time is a good of a time for me to be alive as any time in modern history. I live my life like it's 1965 with the added benefits of the Internet anyways, so does it really make that much of a difference to me? Not really.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 6:00 pm

i think modern life is worse for aspies...
but that's my opinion.

my reasoning is people used to keep to themselves a lot more in the past then they do now. families were more likely to live together well into adulthood and that was normal. (i think this is the case?........) todays life pretty much everyone is put into this public maze of forced interaction that as we develop makes us aspies more insecure, confused, and less succesful. However I do not think the public school system is good for anyone let alone aspies, it does not prepare students for the future at all. (In the united states...) In the past people would learn trades from their families which i think aspies could become good at because their good at repetitive stuff often. Also they might come to understand how things work better then most and find new ways of doing things or improvements to what ever skill they have learned. I don't believe this is as possible these days.

So since us aspies are less skilled these days (except for maybe in the technology field which is a place we will always fit in) they cannot overcome their social handicaps as well by doing the things we might have done in the past like become super good mechanics, architects, artists, or what ever your skill might have been in the past.

(Sorry...my answer was more to specifically aspergers and not autism.....the more severe autistic spectrum illness's probably faired a lot worse in the past)

Last edited by liveandletdie on 25 Sep 2011, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shulamith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2011, 6:00 pm

I'm honestly not sure how there can be much debate about this. Up until relatively recently, no one even knew what autism was, and people with it were put in insane asylums, which were often horrible places even for people who actually were 'insane.' Even during the last century, one of the prime ways that 'experts' recommended that parents or guardians of autistic people take care of those who were severe enough to be considered 'autistic' (the labels of AS and PDD hadn't even been invented yet, so anyone with those issues was screwed, too) was by institutionalizing them.
Autism services today are far from perfect, but as crappy as it is to have these needs in most modern societies, it was infinitely worse 'back then.' All this talk about privacy and individualism is basically BS. There never was a time when people, especially people on the spectrum, were masters of their own fates, it's just that it used to be they only had their families or private institutions or charities (some of whom had their own agendas) to help them (and as for people who had no family and couldn't afford a private facility, they were SOL). Most of the people who yammer about big government and the nanny state don't have a clue what they're talking about, and most of those who do would be fine with government interference so long as it's a republican/conservative friend to corporations-run government doing it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

I think the old days were better for the few of us who were lucky enough to "fit in" without any special assistance. We would do great in school and get jobs as engineers, scientists, or some other highly skilled profession that would allow us to use our talents with relatively minimal social interaction.

But, the sad reality is that most Aspies couldn't do that.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

I would put a poll option for "I think it's safer to be autistic in this time period". The world was a much more dangerous place for us autistics back then (I am glad I wasn't a part of it).

Siaqey
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2011, 6:26 am

Yes,in the old days we might have been mistaken for witches.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:29 am

Quote:
Years ago, you didn't have to worry about being forced to own a cellphone and having to text and talk to people for 15 hours a day.

Forced to own a cellphone? Having to text and talk to people constantly if you have a cellphone? Neither of those are my experience. I don't own a cellphone. My parents both do, but aren't getting anywhere near as much calls as you describe - and no text messages. I know some people who get texts and calls constantly, but they're all highly social
NTs who want to do this. If you feel so negative about having a cellphone, just don't get one. Or only give the number out to people who absolutely need to know your number.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

26 Sep 2011, 9:20 am

Siaqey wrote:
Yes,in the old days we might have been mistaken for witches.

:lol:

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
Years ago, you didn't have to worry about being forced to own a cellphone and having to text and talk to people for 15 hours a day.

Forced to own a cellphone? Having to text and talk to people constantly if you have a cellphone? Neither of those are my experience. I don't own a cellphone. My parents both do, but aren't getting anywhere near as much calls as you describe - and no text messages. I know some people who get texts and calls constantly, but they're all highly social
NTs who want to do this. If you feel so negative about having a cellphone, just don't get one. Or only give the number out to people who absolutely need to know your number.

My parents actually did all but force me to have a cell phone. I was unable to participate in my special interest without one and was a minor at the time.

However, that doesn't mean I was forced to communicate more than I wanted to. My parents needed a way to be able to get in contact with me, so if my parents called I had to talk to them, but otherwise I didn't have to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

I have a cell phone with a keyboard made for texting, the only time I really use it is to meet up with people or make plans...I wont get mad if someone wants to have a text conversation but it will probably end quite soon as I will run out of things to text about...I hate talking on the phone so usually I prefer texting if I have to communicate with someone over the phone.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

Tuttle wrote:
My parents actually did all but force me to have a cell phone. I was unable to participate in my special interest without one and was a minor at the time.

It's funny you should say this. My parents nagged me to get a mobile phone. Eventually, I gave in and they got me a cheap one. I never used it and told them I didn't want it. They retrieved it from me in a huff, saying that I have no use for a mobile phone because you don't like talking to people, you like talking at them. Ever since they took the phone off me (which was nearly ten years ago) they occasionally bring the issue up but I always turn them down flat. Therefore, I don't have a mobile phone. Why would I need one? I don't have any friends and I don't really go anywhere such that I would need one. They are pointless in my case.

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

I think that you missed a few very important factors. It's definitely better today more people are aware of ASD, true, but there are accommodations made for you as well. You, also, can do a lot of your communication with out talking to people directly. When I was growing up the doctors that saw me didn't even know that Asperger's existed. I was diagnosed with ADHD and put on Ritalin. It was devastating. I had all of these problems and didn't know why. The drugs just took my creativity away and made me depressed. You have it so much better of today. You can get all kinds of assistance and people understand your problem. Be glad you live in this world and not mine. I wasn't given much of a chance and ended up in a job that is way below my capabilities. You have opportunities that I will only be able to wish for.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

I'd say better, and not because of technology which allows social connections to become easier. There are actually services for autistic people now that there's more public awareness of the condition...and with increased awareness, services will hopefully become more extensive.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.