Setting boundaries with a married friend

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 9:10 am

I have a close friend who recently go married a year ago and I am happy for her. However, there are a few things about her that seemed to have changed that are really bothering me. There are times where I would love to yell and cuss her out but I know it would not help. So, I would like to learn how to set boundaries with her without loosing it.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

What does she do that you don't like?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 1:13 pm

Sometimes she snuggles on her husband and holds his hand and is all happy and it's fine but she constantly does it in front of me. It's "Oh honey." I am fine with it's almost like she is doing it on purpose because she is still insecure and wants to get under my nails on purpose.

DeanAdamFry
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

The best thing to do is show that you are not bothered, if you are not bothered then she won't do it anymore, she is most likely doing it out of getting attention or any other reason just don't buy into her game by talking to her about "boundries" or anything like that because then she knows shes getting to you and you don't want her to know she is.

TemperedGlass
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

Maybe she isn't doing it on purpose.
I know I am very clingy with my boyfriend, and if I weren't vastly uncomfortable acting that way around people I might do the same thing.
Maybe she just doesn't think of it as a rude thing to do, even though a lot of us would? (I certainly do.)
I would try mentioning it nicely "Hey, it's not a huge deal, but you guys' PDA makes me feel a little awkward."
that way you're not fighting, you're not like.. demanding she stop showing her husband affection, but you ARE letting her know it is hurting your feelings, so if she continues from there, then you know it's intentionally insensitive, and you can take further steps if need be. :)