What reputation do you have in your town?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

innocuous
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2006, 11:28 am

What reputation do you have in your town? Does the surroundings know you have Asperger's? If yes, has it affected your 'reputation'? By reputation (if it isn't clear :P) I simply mean how others greet and talk to you, if you have been bullied, if people like you or not, and so on.

You could really say that I'm an outcast, in its full meaning, where I live. I'm going to live pretty much withdrawn from my town because everyone knows I have AS (it affects me pretty much). If I need something outside my home I'll just drive 15 kilometers outside my town and "do it" there.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 11:43 am

People know I have AS and it does affect my reputation. I much prefer to go outside my town to shop also. But I prefer to stay in as much as possible. I find going out stressful.

Artfulia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2006, 1:27 pm

I usually didn't get around very much at home, but I think most people I've been around knew something was different about me. My family wasn't really too open about my condition, not because they were embarrassed, but it's still a sensitive issue for me.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 1:47 pm

I live in a city o 800.000 where perhaps 75 five people know what Asperger is. In this city, apart from grocers and paper vendors I know only two persons, whom I havent met in the last 7 months. So I should not worry much about "reputation". But, except for practical inconvenieces, why should one worry about reputation?

Last edited by paolo on 18 Sep 2006, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 2:08 pm

I probably don't have any reputation in my town as I know very, very few people here. And very, very few people know me.

It's also because this is not where I 'belong', I do not come from the town where I live and I have only lived here three years. So it doesn't help that I didn't go to school here, grow up here etc. I'm hoping to move in the near future, one of the reasons being hopefully I can move somewhere I DO belong (in the area of my church, 4 miles away, close to where I previously lived, and where I do know a lot of people in the area).

I really don't know what my reputation would be in communities where I know people, i.e. my church, work and possibly my supermarket/shopping centre. I don't know if my reputation would be good or bad, so what I don't know can't hurt me. ;)

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 2:49 pm

my neighbors see me in many different ways-- an average know-it-all to incredably strange or borderline ret*d. it is all a very strange thing and it depends on what we are doing when we first meet.

I don't see my neighbors very much, i try to avoid them(it doesn't always work). they are all very weird people....

the town i live has a lot of people and i do not know everyone,

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 2:51 pm

ret*d, fag, weirdo, pedophile...

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 3:08 pm

Most people don't notice me. That's good. Casual acquaintances seem to think I'm ok but a bit eccentric. I can be too blunt or 'intense' for other people sometimes, too.

I do have some friends and they seem to like me well enough, though I think they get frustrated when I don't talk to them for ages. I don't really know why I don't talk to them more. I always seem too busy dealing with 'things' to deal with people also. Plus I hate making phone calls and I don't really enjoy going out that much, unless it's to somewhere I know. Plus I think it's rude to invite myself round to someone's house, so I wait to be invited... but life doesn't always work like that, does it? And when I do get invited I'm invariably busy doing something 'essential' which later turns out to be quite inconsequential :(

I think I really piss people off by forgetting things, too. Important things, like birthdays and anniversaries and exams and driving tests. It gives the impression that I don't care, I think. I DO care, but it's deeper than that, somehow, and quite the opposite from being superficial.

Perhaps I am too wrapped up in myself. I dunno. I know I feel really guilty about it but I never seem able to transfer that guilt into positive action. And my memory IS rubbish, too.

Sorry, wandering off topic again....

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 3:34 pm

I live in a rather large city, so most people don't know about my diagnosis. My reputation is just fine, among those who do know me. I was bullied in elementary and the first year of middle school, but once I moved to where my parents are now, the bullying stopped. It was in the old neighborhood where I was the "ret*d" and considered an outcast. After moving, I had friends who were in the band and debate team with me. Just moving 5 miles was enough to meet people who didn't consider me the "ret*d."

What I thought was unusual was that a few years ago in college, a guy came up and actually apologized for bullying me in elementary school. I didn't say much as I totally forgot who he was. Pretty much my entire class bullied me, so it was hard to remember individuals by name.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 5:21 pm

I don't know what I'd do if someone who bullied me, apologized. I mean, you tend to build so much hate around them..wouldn't it be hard to forgive? I mean if you knew the bully specifically. Not in your case where you didn't really know him, because he was acting as a part of the group.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 5:24 pm

I live in a very large city (Houston), so people don't have time to think about every single person.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 6:03 pm

I go to a tech school and am a computer science guy.

Most people I talk to are shocked that I'm even outside of my room.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 6:05 pm

I suppose I'm "the thin weirdo with the black stetson" to most people.

I rarely talk to anyone other than immediate family, so nobody really knows me, even close to where I live.

And London is a big city.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 10:57 pm

In my town of *******, ****, I am known as the guy who stuffed the ballot box to win election to the post of town haberdasher.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 11:10 pm

I'm the strange ghost-white looking girl who only goes outside at night. I'm the girl who used to play with every kid in the neighborhood before everyone changed. I growl and whine when annoyed. :)

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 6:28 pm

I'm known as the bombmaker and a troublemaker, maybe a sexual pervert, some people think I'm an angel and some think I'm a devil. I live in a commune with about 50000 people.

Most people don't know me and most who does, doesn't know I'm an aspie, but they think I'm one or several of stated above.

'Tis munny in my purse.