Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:38 pm

This 13 part(!) podcast is pretty good, full of tips and tricks.

http://www.upaya.org/dharma/lucid-dream ... t-1-of-13/

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
in the culminating scene of his and his 'wife's relationship he concluded that she was...flat, as you say...because she was only a part of his mind. so i'm guessing it was intentional. i think it worked

They definitely lost a lot of the emotional impact and interest by making his wife so zero dimensional

I think most of the rest of the characters were pretty empty though too. Kinda charicature-ish. I guess it did create a good effect, but robbed the film of any soul.

My dreams tend to be lacking an emotional dimension too.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:29 pm

I have lucid dreams sometimes. They usually involve flying.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

If I don't like something in a dream I usually change it. Sometimes what I don't like seems to bother me too much to do that, though.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

I only remember my nightmares.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

i used to have many nightmares as a kid in my dreams, eventually i just got to a point of using logic to determine a dream/real life scenario. After that ive been able to have lucid dreams nightly. I almost never recall my dreams but when i do it was 100% lucid the whole time.

Godspinata
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2011, 7:16 pm

You have not truly dreamed until your dreams are lucid. I have an instructional book around here somewhere... I can't recall the title. I'll hunt it up for you, if you like.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 11:15 pm

welcome to the club, Godspinata:)
i wish i could say i had the mental facility to practice lucid dreaming on a regular basis, but the closest i came was only in making a particularly cherished dream last a bit longer on the same thread. my dreams control me and not the other way around, and i can't even get to the point where i am aware that i am dreaming with one or two exceptions in which i had just enough awareness/presense of mind to know i was dreaming but not enough alertness to do anything about it. i have no idea how to change this, i've tried what the books say to do but those books all presuppose a greater psychic power than what i have. i wonder if my inability to be hypnotized [or to even meditate] has anything to do with my failures in the dreamworld.

echinopsis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2011, 10:28 am

yes. one of the most fascinating things i know. it is difficult for me though. i dont have control over it yet. that is i had lots of lucid dreams but i can not "make them happen". things increasing their likelihood however are: 1 no stress and no stressful things coming up 2 no drugs or too much stimulation of any kind 3 no severe emotions 4 plenty of sleep in the days before and also at least eight hours sleep directly preceeding it for longer rem stages 5 thinking or reading about the subject 6 not much happening in general (for several weeks at least) 7 being very relaxed in general.

there is this phase when you realise you are dreaming but you are just realising this as a fact without fully becoming aware of it (becoming aware of who you are, what your possibilities are, that you are imagining everything you perceive, that you can influence whats happening, that you are currently lying in your bed without noticing your atonic body and maybe also what time it might be and gerenally having your awake consciousness when it comes to knowledge, logic, ethics and so on). dreams just involving a "oh, im dreaming" at a certain point without further consequences following this realisation are not actual lucid dreams. however im often stuck there.

sometimes my mind also tricks me. it happens that something in my dream is unlogical, physically not possible, not clearly to read or see and so on. those things change into a more rational appearance as soon as i become aware of it. for example i was sitting on a string once and i thought i might be dreaming because it should be difficult to sit there without falling and it should also hurt and as soon as i thought that the sensation as well as a second string making the whole construction more stable were present. this sucks because i often keep on dreaming in an unlucid way then. sometimes when im too suspicious already im also dreaming that i wake up in my bed and it goes on from there. i hate my mind, that guy is an as*hole!

are you familiar with problems like that? what do you think / do about it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 11:59 am

echinopsis wrote:
there is this phase when you realise you are dreaming but you are just realising this as a fact without fully becoming aware of it (becoming aware of who you are, what your possibilities are, that you are imagining everything you perceive, that you can influence whats happening, that you are currently lying in your bed without noticing your atonic body and maybe also what time it might be and gerenally having your awake consciousness when it comes to knowledge, logic, ethics and so on). dreams just involving a "oh, im dreaming" at a certain point without further consequences following this realisation are not actual lucid dreams. however im often stuck there.

welcome to the club, echinopsis :)
don't fret, you are still way ahead of me, i can't even get to that point. the dream happens to me and i am its captive, my presense of mind is forcibly left at the door, like shoes and hat.

echinopsis wrote:
sometimes my mind also tricks me. it happens that something in my dream is unlogical, physically not possible, not clearly to read or see and so on. those things change into a more rational appearance as soon as i become aware of it. for example i was sitting on a string once and i thought i might be dreaming because it should be difficult to sit there without falling and it should also hurt and as soon as i thought that the sensation as well as a second string making the whole construction more stable were present. this sucks because i often keep on dreaming in an unlucid way then. sometimes when im too suspicious already im also dreaming that i wake up in my bed and it goes on from there. i hate my mind, that guy is an as*hole! are you familiar with problems like that? what do you think / do about it?

don't hate your mind, because 1] it is merely you, and 2] it, like yourself in general, is doing the best it can and intends you no harm, it only wants the best for you but struggles against uncooperative wetware. you are oh so close to true lucid dreaming, for you it is but a stepping off from the comfort zone platform to the next step. you already know you are dreaming and have enough presense of mind to see the absurdity of some dream situations, so it is but a short next step of having the desire and executive functioning to do something in your dream, to bend the dream to your will.

i gather my own lack of control or high awareness is due to the fact that spiritually i am still in kindergarten, when it is all the kindergartener can do to sit still and pay attention to the lesson.