Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

Have you ever heard of lucid dreaming? It is where you gain awareness of your dream state and gain control over what you dream about and what you do. It is pretty hard to do, but it is pretty cool when you succeed.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:03 pm

Yep

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

i dont understand what's desirable about this. the whole fun of dreams is their subconsciousness

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:06 pm

I have heard of it. I would love to be able to achieve it. There's just so much to do for it...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

The closest I've come is being aware that I was dreaming, but I didn't seem to have any control over it. I suspect that the vast majority of people who claim to do it are either lying or mistaken.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
i dont understand what's desirable about this. the whole fun of dreams is their subconsciousness

I achieved lucid dreaming a few times, and I thought similarly.

Maybe I lack the imagination to really run with it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

I've managed it a few times, as well, but I prefer to just go along with what my unconscious mind has in store for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

Jory wrote:
The closest I've come is being aware that I was dreaming, but I didn't seem to have any control over it. I suspect that the vast majority of people who claim to do it are either lying or mistaken.

Not so, in my opinion. A lucid dream is markedly different from a regular one, and you know the difference.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2011, 7:13 pm

try looking up webpages on how to do it.

Anyway, the most effective method I use is pinching my nose and breathing. If I can still breathe through it, I know I'm dreaming. I get into the habit of doing it in real life so that I do it in a dream too. Other methods include looking in a mirror for abnormalities (not recommended if you are prone to nightmares), jumping up and down, checking a digital clock (or any digital text) twice to see if it makes any odd changes, etc. Pinching yourself isn't effective because your nerves treat it as real. I once got shot with a gun in a dream, and it hurt. Probably not as much as in real life, but still.....

Once you know how to gain awareness, the hardest part is staying in the dream state. Stay still, feel around your surroundings so they feel real to you. Do whatever it takes to deny your brain the sensation of lying in bed.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:14 pm

i shouldnt read this after just watching inception

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
i shouldnt read this after just watching inception

I had some great dreams after watching that. It's better as inspiration than a movie.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:17 pm

were they about your crazy dead wife

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:21 pm

over9000 wrote:
try looking up webpages on how to do it.

Anyway, the most effective method I use is pinching my nose and breathing. If I can still breathe through it, I know I'm dreaming. I get into the habit of doing it in real life so that I do it in a dream too. Other methods include looking in a mirror for abnormalities (not recommended if you are prone to nightmares), jumping up and down, checking a digital clock (or any digital text) twice to see if it makes any odd changes, etc. Pinching yourself isn't effective because your nerves treat it as real. I once got shot with a gun in a dream, and it hurt. Probably not as much as in real life, but still.....

Once you know how to gain awareness, the hardest part is staying in the dream state. Stay still, feel around your surroundings so they feel real to you. Do whatever it takes to deny your brain the sensation of lying in bed.

My favourite was jumping. I would jump at random intervals during the day. Eventually, I started jumping in my dreams, and invariably the gravity was odd. I had some Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon style dreams, leaping 60 foot into and out of trees, was pretty cool.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
were they about your crazy dead wife

I had already forgotten about all that by the end of the film. I tend to focus on the positive. I didn't find the relationship stuff very compelling, in fact the characters are all a bit flat, like people out of a computer game. I don't know if that was intentional, but my lucid dreams often play out like computer games, so that probably helped if anything.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:27 pm

Moog wrote:
My favourite was jumping. I would jump at random intervals during the day. Eventually, I started jumping in my dreams, and invariably the gravity was odd. I had some Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon style dreams, leaping 60 foot into and out of trees, was pretty cool.

Hm, sounds fun... I shall try that soon. My big one is flying, I love going out into space and visiting weird places.

I miss lucid dreaming, used to do it a few times a week, but haven't had a dream I actually remember in a few months... 8O

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

in the culminating scene of his and his 'wife's relationship he concluded that she was...flat, as you say...because she was only a part of his mind. so i'm guessing it was intentional. i think it worked