Nazism 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Islamic World 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
USA+Europe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

If you compare different dictatorships, which would you say is the worst?

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

I think you need to do some research and learn what a dictatorship is.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

You will notice that the overwhelming choices are both associated with religion.

ruveyn

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

I will take the liberty of including the Spanish Empire in the Spanish Inquisition; thus, I choose the Imperial Spanish.

The Spanish made all their wealth during their height off of looting the great civilizations of Mesoamerica and the Andes. By contrast, the Islamic world, which is very diverse and includes the very advanced Moġuls, the Ottomans and their modern, secular Turkish descendants and the cosmopolitan Indonesians as well as the Iranian theocracy and the military dictatorship of Libya.

The Nazis were evil, but they were not in a time where they possessed overwhelmingly superior military technology to, say, the USSR, the Republic of China, the USA or for that matter their Imperial Japanese allies: They simply were not in a position to do what they desired, as their are too few people who they considered acceptable to live and the rest would have smashed them sooner or later. This is in contrast to the universalist and widely appealing ideology of the USSR, even if it was significantly perverted from the original Marxist teachings. In contrast, the Spaniards may not have been overwhelmingly superior to their Andean and Mesoamerican enemies like the Nazis were to the French and the USSR, but they did have an ideology that was universal and bad in Christianity. Along with their diseases that the Indigenous People of the Americas lacked, this zealism caused them to do their atrocities without pity or mercy for anyone who was not Christian.

Finally, while the West has certainly done great evils in spreading colonialism, racism and other wickedness, like the Islamic World, the West is too complicated, nuanced and large to give into gross generalizations.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

Communism is a pretty vague term since there were a lot of communist dictatorships. I'd say Pol Pot's Year Zero is probably scarier than anything I can think of. North Korea is still just as brutal as ever today while Cuba, while still a brutal dictatorship, is probably a little less scary.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

Communism

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Really? Kim Jung Il doesn't even make the poll? Nor Ahmedinajad?

(pardon the spelling - I'm sure it's not right)

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
By contrast, the Islamic world, which is very diverse and includes the very advanced Moġuls, the Ottomans and their modern, secular Turkish descendants and the cosmopolitan Indonesians as well as the Iranian theocracy and the military dictatorship of Libya.

I was referring to the modern Islamic world, not the past empires. The radical Islam and terrorism is quite young, and this is the only issue I was referring to (the alkaida, modern Iran, modern pakistan, modern Afghanistan, and so forth)

Jacoby wrote:
Communism is a pretty vague term since there were a lot of communist dictatorships. I'd say Pol Pot's Year Zero is probably scarier than anything I can think of. North Korea is still just as brutal as ever today while Cuba, while still a brutal dictatorship, is probably a little less scary.

By communism I was referring to Soviet Union.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:25 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Really? Kim Jung Il doesn't even make the poll?

Thats because he is modern and the modern threat is "summed up" as Islamic. So apparently muslims are scarrier than him.

Either way, the main reason I didn't list him is that if I did I would have to list a lot of other people too in order to be consistent, and this would make me produce 100 option poll. So in order to keep the poll short and, at the same time, be "consistent" I have to only present "large" categories and leave out anything that can be considered to be "offshot" or "someting smaller".

Like if we speak of Communism, there is cold war. If we speak of nazi, there is World War 2. If we speak of Islamic world, tehre is "war on terrorism". But nothing specific can be associated with Kim Jung Il. So why should he be listed?

YippySkippy wrote:
Nor Ahmedinajad?

He falls under the category of "Islamic world".

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

Roman wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Thats because he is modern and the modern threat is "summed up" as Islamic. So apparently muslims are scarrier than him.

Either way, the main reason I didn't list him is that if I did I would have to list a lot of other people too in order to be consistent, and this would make me produce 100 option poll. So in order to keep the poll short and, at the same time, be "consistent" I have to only present "large" categories and leave out anything that can be considered to be "offshot" or "someting smaller".

Like if we speak of Communism, there is cold war. If we speak of nazi, there is World War 2. If we speak of Islamic world, tehre is "war on terrorism". But nothing specific can be associated with Kim Jung Il. So why should he be listed?

YippySkippy wrote:
Nor Ahmedinajad?

The Korean War was one of the most brutal wars ever fought.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Roman wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

YippySkippy wrote:
Nor Ahmedinajad?

The Korean War was one of the most brutal wars ever fought.

Well as someone comming from Russia, I know fairly little about Korean war. On the other hand, things like "world war 2" or "cold war" are universally known regardless of where you live. This poll is limitted to very large, universally known, categories.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

I find Apple-MS dictatorship the scariest because it is affecting us , unlike the others which are gone or in other places.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2011, 6:40 pm

Roman wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
By contrast, the Islamic world, which is very diverse and includes the very advanced Moġuls, the Ottomans and their modern, secular Turkish descendants and the cosmopolitan Indonesians as well as the Iranian theocracy and the military dictatorship of Libya.

I was referring to the modern Islamic world, not the past empires. The radical Islam and terrorism is quite young, and this is the only issue I was referring to (the alkaida, modern Iran, modern pakistan, modern Afghanistan, and so forth)

Jacoby wrote:

You should have been more specific about everything, save the Nazis. And, save the Ottomans and the Moġuls, all the points I made are about the modern Islamic World.

As for the USSR, I am a great admirer of Lenin: He gave women equal rights and was not really any more oppressive than Imperial Germany was to its citizens. Stalin, however, was worse than Hitler for setting an example for Brezhnev, starting the gulag system (which Khrushchev abolished soon after he came to power) which killed more people than the Nazi extermination camps, turning a respectable philosophy into a tool to build a personality cult and in all contributing to the fall of the USSR. In my opinion, Lenin, Khrushchev and Gorbachev were in many ways more upstanding than their contemporary US presidents: No Jim Crow or lynching under Lenin, basically no homelessness under Khrushchev and Gorbachev was a hero for fighting the corruption that resulted from the Brezhnev Stagnation, even if it ultimately gave us a Russian Federation worse off in most regards than its Soviet predecessor.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 7:15 pm

Roman wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
By contrast, the Islamic world, which is very diverse and includes the very advanced Mog?uls, the Ottomans and their modern, secular Turkish descendants and the cosmopolitan Indonesians as well as the Iranian theocracy and the military dictatorship of Libya.

Jacoby wrote:

Is there a way to scrape a poll and thread and start all over?

The OP doesnt know basic political science and doesnt seem to even know what the word "dictatorship" means. The few words he does know the meaning of he deploys in such an inarticulate way that he has to expain to each and every respondant what the heck he was using the word to mean. This is an absolute mess!

Figure out what you're trying to ask, and then ask it again.
Thats my response, since niether I nor anyone else can figure out what you're asking.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

Naturalplastic wrote:

Quote:
This is an absolute mess!

Half of the threads in this forum are a mess.
Why pick one turd out of a sea of sh*t and hold it up?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 11:57 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
In my opinion, Lenin, Khrushchev and Gorbachev were in many ways more upstanding than their contemporary US presidents: No Jim Crow or lynching under Lenin,

Look up "war communism" sometime.