Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2011, 4:08 pm

Shortly before my several-month hiatus, I remarked in a thread that rather than 'functioning', a more useful metric for how one is doing, is robustness. A robust life can withstand more buffeting and misfortune than a less robust life. Two people may have the same standard of living and the same job, yet one may be far more resilient to misfortune.

At the time of writing that, I had recently lost my job. I was unemployed for three weeks before finding a new job. That brief period was enough to throw my finances out of order, bring me to within a few days of eviction several months in a row, lose me my internet and gas, and in other ways wreak havoc. I may have been 'high functioning', but I certainly was not robust.

Now, after months of effort, I am starting to get back on track from a few weeks back in the spring.

Now that I am getting back on my feet, it is possible to ask myself just how it is possible to be high enough functioning to hold down a job and live independently, yet not high enough functioning to do so with security against misfortune.

To that end, I've started preparing a 'shitstorm' plan to act as a buffer next time things go pear-shaped. If it works, I may have the security that comes mostly effortlessly to an NT.

It's good to be back on Wrong Planet.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 4:17 pm

Welcome back :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 4:31 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet!

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

Glad you're all right again.
I think this thing could be turned into a "manual" that would help a lot of us.
I feel most of the time I'm teetering on the edge of my own maelstrom, but don't really know how to make sure I don't get caught in it.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Dear Zero, Great avatar, by the way, first ,EVERYONE is losing jobs, losing homes, losing investments, losing marriages. This past year a hospital 3 miles from me fired 25% of the staff. At least 8 houses within a half mile of me have been foreclosed. I can count 10 empty storefronts within 1-1 1/2 mile. 'security that comes effortlessly to an NT'? Nope; the hammer is falling on EVERYONE! No one foresaw how bad it could be. But you survived, and we are proud of you! Sylkat :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

Welkome back to WP!

Mick :D