Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 2:36 am

I'm hopelessly addicted to Minecraft :)
Been playing since pre-alpha in June 2010.

I never played multiplayer though.
I mostly do single player creative mode.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

pete1061 wrote:

i was hopelessly addicted as well but it has died off over time. i'm still waiting for the mod support though. because mods screw this game big time so i only use single player commands now.

once there is a safe way to remove a mod you put in your map i'm gonna mod like crazy. i lost 6 maps i think, i lost count after a while, because of mods.

i been playing since alpha 1.2_2 i think, it was the one before the halloween update. i play on survival, but i do try to build structures in between mob attacks.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 3:06 am

Jetfox wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

i was hopelessly addicted as well but it has died off over time. i'm still waiting for the mod support though. because mods screw this game big time so i only use single player commands now.

once there is a safe way to remove a mod you put in your map i'm gonna mod like crazy. i lost 6 maps i think, i lost count after a while, because of mods.

i been playing since alpha 1.2_2 i think, it was the one before the halloween update. i play on survival, but i do try to build structures in between mob attacks.

Hopefully mod stability will improve a little while after final release (which is only days away btw)
Optifine is a good mod, but it's incompatible with half of the other mods. Worth it though for the performance improvements. And if the author of Optifine can ever work out financial compensation issues with Mojang, it may become part of the game.
Cubic Chunks is another promising mod. It VASTLY increases world height from 128 to just over 65000!
I'm just waiting for it to be compatible with Optifine.

I'm also brushing up on my java skills for mod creation. Just waiting for final release when the code will remain more consistent. I Messed around a little back around beta 1.5, but I didn't want to re-write after every beta update.

The modability of Minecraft really is it's greatest strength. I can't wait to see what people come up with in the coming months & years.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 8:16 am

pete1061 wrote:
Jetfox wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

Hopefully mod stability will improve a little while after final release (which is only days away btw)
Optifine is a good mod, but it's incompatible with half of the other mods. Worth it though for the performance improvements. And if the author of Optifine can ever work out financial compensation issues with Mojang, it may become part of the game.
Cubic Chunks is another promising mod. It VASTLY increases world height from 128 to just over 65000!
I'm just waiting for it to be compatible with Optifine.

I'm also brushing up on my java skills for mod creation. Just waiting for final release when the code will remain more consistent. I Messed around a little back around beta 1.5, but I didn't want to re-write after every beta update.

The modability of Minecraft really is it's greatest strength. I can't wait to see what people come up with in the coming months & years.

yeah the mods are awesome i had a flyable plane once, minecarts that i controlled, furniture, etc... but dropping the mods into the jar file is suicide for your save files, i got to check out cubic chunks, you don't know how long i waited for a height increaser, i can't use optifine i can't remember why i think it's because i have another mod i use all the time and won't get rid of it or can't something like that, i'll check again though because my memory is foggy at best.

mojang has already put a lot of the mods into the game, i think that's cool most game companies don't, hell notch was horsing around on a server once that i saw and the people in the server were trying to burn him with flint and steel, he didn't seem to mind like he knew they were just having fun.

but with cubic chunks i might be able to build my durandel in minecraft [the ship in xenosaga], i can't mod worth crap i don't know any of those computer languages at all, it sucks to have to wait to see if a mod i need will ever get made. <_<

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

About save files

The first law of all computing...
backup, backup, backup

I'm very cautious of mods, I will read a thread thoroughly on minecraftforums.net before installing it.
I don't get excessive like some folks who install 38 mods or more.

But to a certain extent, it is sometimes a crap shoot as to weather or not your saves will get trashed.
I'll usually create a whole new world to test a mod before using it on something I have worked hard on.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

pete1061 wrote:
About save files

The first law of all computing...
backup, backup, backup

I'm very cautious of mods, I will read a thread thoroughly on minecraftforums.net before installing it.
I don't get excessive like some folks who install 38 mods or more.

But to a certain extent, it is sometimes a crap shoot as to weather or not your saves will get trashed.
I'll usually create a whole new world to test a mod before using it on something I have worked hard on.

yep i don't back up nothing, in minecraft and as a result i lost my save file, i put that cubic thing in and it warped my map big time.

heck i don't back up fallout 3, dragon age, or oblivion, the other games i mod. and i know that's a fault of mine but i don't have the patience. course the other 3 games can fix themselves once the mods are removed, minecraft doesn't.

i'm just going to wait till mods are supported, or just use ones that modify the interface and don't change the map or add items. i think that's 15 or more maps i've lost now due to modding. i think i'm just going to say screw being legit i'm getting too many items and hacking all my crap back.

DylanLarkins
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2011, 10:42 pm

Welp, Minecraft 1.0.0 came out today.

What does everyone think - how has Minecraft progressed throughout its two years of existence?

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 2:41 am

DylanLarkins wrote:

What does everyone think - how has Minecraft progressed throughout its two years of existence?

i was hoping for mod support in this release, so much for wishful thinking. i think me and games crashing due to modding must go hand in hand. also if this is the offical release how is it still a beta?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 4:13 am

i have 1.0 as well, many mods are updated for it as well, (buildcraft is lagging behind)

i have never had any issues modding beyond my own incompetence, either at reading up on compatibility or installing in the wrong order.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 4:37 am

Oodain wrote:
i have 1.0 as well, many mods are updated for it as well, (buildcraft is lagging behind)

i have never had any issues modding beyond my own incompetence, either at reading up on compatibility or installing in the wrong order.

i read about compatibilty, but as for mod support, i mean i would like to be able to remove a mod from my game without it corrupting an entire save file. even if i do back up the file i'll still end up losing days of work and progress. when i say mod support i want something in the game or a program that can remove modded files so i don't have to worry either way.

i mean you can mod fallout 3 to death and back, and you can put an entire new vault in and later on remove it and still play on the save file afterword removing mods in any other game does not screw all your progress. i don't care if mojang ever supports the files offically out of the game, just give me something to fix the file to keep on using it, i lost so many years of work in minecraft because one mod added a tool or something, i lost alot of my creative drive due to having to start over every time minecraft is updated.

also you can't trust modders to keep a mod going forever and when they drop the project you are screwed regardless.

i don't have the new patch because i'm not bothering unless i find a program to fix my map when i mod.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

Tried it, played it for two days non-stop, then got bored of it and stopped playing.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 7:08 am

DylanLarkins wrote:

I briefly checked out 1.0.0
Then I downgraded to beta 1.8.1... I'm waiting for mods to get updated for the final release.

The game has come a long way, though I think some of the latest additions kinda stray more into the realm of RPG.
The things Mojang adds to the game are kinda lame. The modders do a much better job at improving the game.
Too bad Mojang doesn't fully realize this, given that they are dragging their heels with the mod api.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 9:34 pm

pete1061 wrote:
DylanLarkins wrote:

I briefly checked out 1.0.0
Then I downgraded to beta 1.8.1... I'm waiting for mods to get updated for the final release.

The game has come a long way, though I think some of the latest additions kinda stray more into the realm of RPG.
The things Mojang adds to the game are kinda lame. The modders do a much better job at improving the game.
Too bad Mojang doesn't fully realize this, given that they are dragging their heels with the mod api.

i agree completely, minecraft started to be about suriving and creating things. i want to go back to when before the damn bow was changed, what release was that? i liked my arrow spam bow, nice for creeper ambushes.

yeah no easy was to install mods yet or uninstall them.

Oaglor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 5:07 am

I don't, but if I do though (and I have tried a couple of times and want to play more) I would make a huge fortress made out of red wool surrounded by a moat. I would also make roads of red wool to use for somewhat easy navigation as well as red wool land marks so I wouldn't get lost.

No Nation Stays Strong
Only Death is Eternal

SeleniumTrace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2011, 10:15 am

The Minecraft creator just earned 20% more of my respect by coming out as an MLP: FiM fan.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

SeleniumTrace wrote:
The Minecraft creator just earned 20% more of my respect by coming out as an MLP: FiM fan.

eh? what's that? he lost much of my respect when the 1.8.1 patch was released which ruined my bow and added the hunger meter, and made feathers harder to get.

really hurt my creativity in minecraft.