Page 3 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 2:47 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Joker wrote:
really is that how it went down?
Fantastic military leaders = morons that attacked Russia in winter and opened as many fronts as they could even when under-funded.

Since I am german and I hate hitler with a passion for the monster that he was their statement is the main reason why Hitler could not beat Russia because he was dumb enough to attack Russia in the winter.

You need to check your facts. The campaign into Russia didn't start in the Russian winter, it started on June 22, 1941 which is in the summer, what stopped it was the Russian winter and over-extended supply lines because the territory was just too dang large for blitzkrieg to be effective and the operation ended on December 5th, 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barbarossa

Also Herr Shickelgrueber did not permit his Armies to retreat to a consolidation so they could resume in force when the weather improved. The no-retreat policy was suicidal.

ruveyn

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

Joker wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
He didn't learn the lesson from Napoleon's campaign.

Your right had he learn from Napoleons mistake and errors he could have won the war.

Napoleon did the same thing Hitler did and failed you cant attack Russia in the winter they are used to that kind of weather germans are not and yes I am a german american with Irish and Cherokee heritage.

June 22, 1941 isn't winter for the Northern Hemisphere... The invasion dragged on into the Russian winter, which is what caused it to fall apart.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Joker wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Your right had he learn from Napoleons mistake and errors he could have won the war.

Napoleon did the same thing Hitler did and failed you cant attack Russia in the winter they are used to that kind of weather germans are not and yes I am a german american with Irish and Cherokee heritage.

June 22, 1941 isn't winter for the Northern Hemisphere... The invasion dragged on into the Russian winter, which is what caused it to fall apart.

Its still irrelivent Inyuasha you never stay an fight the Russians in winter they have home feild advantage.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

pandabear wrote:
Okay, maybe the nuclear attack was unnecessary after all.

But, the war would have been lost if the government had not engaged in deficit spending.

perhaps but you also need to consider that as horrible as it was, it did show the world what nuclear weapons could really do.

If it had not happened, the US may have ended up using them in Korea as per McArthur's plan... and later on there is little doubt the soviet union and the US would've had a nuclear exchange. Simply because they would not have been able to really know just how devastating those weapons were.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 4:31 pm

Joker wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Joker wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Its still irrelivent Inyuasha you never stay an fight the Russians in winter they have home feild advantage.

The sound strategy would have been a strategic retreat defensible against a mid winter counterattack. But Herr Shickelgrueber would not hear of any retreat before the Russians.

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 4:33 pm

DreamLord wrote:
I'm about as scary as your average field mouse, I don't profess to be otherwise. Nor do I profess to be somekind of descendent of the reich, you make very bold assumptions that would be best pondered on before spoke.

I think I successfully demolished the arrogant and offensive assumptions you made, that was the point. The Germans have never been a people lacking in ingenuity or dash, they weren't and never have been the cartoon super villains of Hollywood fantasy.

I assume your book is little more than the pseudo science I described, hence your hostile reaction. Success is not something one can measure accurately while you still live, not unless you are under some silly delusion about what being sucessful is.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Reich was a failure in its own time by any standard.
Your "demolishing" my "arrogant and offensive assumptions" was also a failure in its own time by any standards.
I did not say Nazis are super villains quite the opposite they were buffoons more accurately portrayed in
Hogans Heros than in Where Eagles Dare. (only slightly joking <-for the more literal minded)
"Hostile reaction"? I think you guys are cute little bunny rabbits I hold no more hostility to you than I do
other L.a.r.pers. A little pity, a little chuckle under my breath but no hostility.

@Inayusha you are correct I should have said fought the Russians in winter thanks for the correction.
(see how easy it is to admit it when you are wrong it does not make me look like less of a person at all) :wink:

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Joker wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

The sound strategy would have been a strategic retreat defensible against a mid winter counterattack. But Herr Shickelgrueber would not hear of any retreat before the Russians.

The Russians had every advantage during the winter it would be insane to attack them when they have the homeland advantage history has shown us you cant beat Russia in their own country or in the winter :wink:

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

Hitler picked a very good time in history to attack Russia because the people were disillusioned with Stalin’s purges and his other heavy handed methods of governing. The Red Army had been purged of a lot of its officer corps and wasn't at its best in terms of anything.
The Russian peasants saw the invading Germans as liberators at first but then the atrocities began against captured Russian soldiers and the civilian population. From that point on the Russians were fighting for Mother Russia against an invader and not for Stalin. Of course, when winter came that made things all the much worse for the Germans.
If the order of business had been to win the hearts and minds of the Russian citizenry, and the time was ripe for that, the whole campaign in the east would have turned out differently.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Joker wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

A sound strategy would be solidify one's gains instead of continuing blitzkrieg which while effective in small countries and France, was idiotic because of the amount of territory one had to cover.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

Had Mussolini not decided to try and take Greece on, resulting in his Italian Forces being pushed back into Albania, the Germans would have launched Barbarossa much earlier. Instead they were forced to help their largely ineffective ally. Also Hitler was the biggest obstacle to their military success. Guderian would have taken Moscow if it hadn't been for political interference. Hitler was almost more of an asset to the Allies than the Axis :lol: . Don't get me started on his poor choices in technological development/weapons development

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 9:10 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

A sound strategy would be solidify one's gains instead of continuing blitzkrieg which while effective in small countries and France, was idiotic because of the amount of territory one had to cover.

Quite so. Blitzkrieg does not scale up indefinitely. Besides which the Germans did not have the industrial muscle to fight a protracted war. Herr Shickelgrueber was counting on the Soviets to collapse from the shock of the initial attack. He came close to success but he did not make it.

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BooHi2YcIXI&feature=related[/youtube]

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

Why the Allies won WW2?

This is a trick question. As a statement, it is a "cold reading" question.

At best, the large group of battles, that continued well into the 1950's and beyond, and tagged as "WWII" at a 1945 end, were all Pyrrhic Victories, with high prices and great sacrificies, and elusive victories including any actual "winning".

The "winning" quickly transformed into regarded "treasonous" victors out for the other side. To see this twisted viewpoint more clearly, a viewpoint currently placing my view amongst the minority, examine how the United Nations recently has been regarded. Once, only a minority regarded things similar to "The Marshall Plan" as works of "evil", but this "worm in the brain" has spread to the extent that the phrase "everybody knows the good guys lost" has a nearly resonant ring as the masses parrot "OUR Patriotism will stamp out all evil" with the "either you are with us or you are against us" mentality tending into a cusp of another Aktion T4 for now "utmost needed" deficit reductions and Kristallnachts with whichever "who" is out of favor of the moment and labeled "terrorists".

Tadzio

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 9:39 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Quite so. Blitzkrieg does not scale up indefinitely. Besides which the Germans did not have the industrial muscle to fight a protracted war. Herr Shickelgrueber was counting on the Soviets to collapse from the shock of the initial attack. He came close to success but he did not make it.

ruveyn

The Germans were able to vastly increase their industrial production by 1945. Hitler made the huge mistake of not putting them on a war footing until 1943. However even with expanded industry their oil & petroleum production did not expand. Lack of fuel was one of the biggest problems for the Axis. Not only for tanks and other vehicles, but for supplying troops, and, most of all, training tank crews and pilots. With substantially less and less fuel available, less training time was given to newer recruits, and so the quality of Axis pilots and tankers went down steadily. Meanwhile the Allies continued increasing the amount of training time before introduction to combat. I would wager to say that outside of poor leadership (resulting in many strings of bad decisions), major fuel shortages lost the war for the Axis.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 9:57 pm

There are of course dozens of reasons but I'd say Barbarossa was pretty decisive.

Without that Germany would have had a full strength, high quality German army fighting on the defensive, with more time to prepare for a wider war. Hard to beat. If they'd stayed out of the Japanese-US war? Better still.

Sometimes it's best to walk away with your winnings.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 10:04 pm

I for one am glad Germany lost the war now I wish people would move on and just let it go WW2 is history why not talk about the present and not the past :!: