Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

graphicidentity
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2011, 8:27 am

So I just completed my first public speaking session with Christopher Leadership. I guess the first thing I learned was that I`d forgotten how much it scares me.

What proved this to me was our first assignment, where we were asked to introduce ourselves and tell a few things about ourselves. I was situated about half way through the circle. As people started to introduce themselves one by one, my mind started churned like clothes in a tumble dryer. No thought was complete. It was more like incoherent memories.

In the handbook they say part of being an effective communicator is also being an effective listener. Well at that time, I became so completely wrapped up in myself, I barely heard a single word that was spoken. When an effort was made my attention would last only a few seconds.

Fortunately when it came time to speak, things mostly came out clearly. I was able to pick a few items out of the clothes dryer and explain them. In fact with a lot of courage, I went right to the core and explained briefly that I suffer from some of the same deficits as people with Asperger syndrome, and this is in fact, one of the big reasons I signed up.

Fortunately after this initial assignment things began to calm down a little. In the course they called this "expending nervous energy". As proof, the next pegging assignment went by much easier.

So I guess if I have to establish some goals for the course, here are my first three:

1. relax.
2. listen better.
3. increase my attention span.

roast_chicken
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2011, 7:17 am

It's very brave of you to put yourself forward like this and learn public speaking. I do admire your courage.

Personally I have been to toastmasters and I found it to be really helpful. People were so supportive and so welcoming of everyone, I would highly recommend it if you would like a friendly, non-judgmental environment in which to learn the art of public speaking.

Don't forget - most people struggle with public speaking. In fact, it is higher up on the list of "top 10 fears" than death...crazy huh?

All the best.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm

I took a public speaking class in high school. One of the bits of advice our teacher gave us was to look at people's nose's instead of making eye contact. Making eye contact with large groups of people is difficult even for most NT's. Even most NT's dread public speaking it's difficult for most of the population. I have friends who'd rather have a root canal then to make a speech.