Do you sometimes want to offend people in your life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lovecholie
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2011, 1:33 pm

I'm thinking of certain people in my life. Sometimes people say things that bother me and I want to come off as unfriendly because of it.

For example, my friend is offended that I'm not inviting her to my very small wedding ceremony (only 15 people). She's more offended because I'm inviting my best friend, the rest is family. The one who is invited has been like my soul mate/long-distance twin sister for more than 7 years, and she can hang out with my fiancé by herself if she wanted. The offended friend has been close for about 3-4 years... and she doesn't really know my fiancé. Some people don't think numbers make a difference, but the truth is, I feel closer to my other friend.

Anyway, now it seems like she's always offended when I don't hang out with her or even when I mention my best friend in conversation. And for some reason, that annoys me and makes me want to be less friendly to her. Or I just want to make it clear as to how misguided she is about our friendship. It's one of those days again.

I'm just very picky about the people I surround myself with. I find that there are people who desperately want to be my friend and it turns me off. Anyone feel the same?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 2:05 pm

Actually, I'm almost always the clingy/possessive one in friendships. In fact, one of my recently-ended friendships was really similar to the one you're experiencing, with my friend being like you and your friend being like me.

Because of this, I can understand why your friend of 3 to 4 years is upset with you - She considers herself to be your best friend, and is hurt that you don't feel the same. She wants to be a part of your most special day, and is hurt that you don't want to share it with her. She probably likes you more than you like her.

Being rude to her definitely isn't the way to make things better, although I don't have any alternative suggestions besides bending your 15-person limit to include her.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 2:50 pm

There are people out there who piss me off because they are rude or not nice and it makes me not care if I offended them. If someone is hostile towards me and acts all stupid, I don't care if they are offended. It just makes me glad I offended them because they're just jerks. If they take what I say out of context and not even bother reading the rest of my post and they chose to get offended over what they have read because they only read that part and not the rest, I don't care if I offended them. It makes me glad I did then. Online and in real life I am talking about.

I have gotten so sick of people and their behavior, I have gotten less nicer over the years.