Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TcV
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2006, 8:24 am

hey, i just found out i got that Asperger thingey, almost freaky since it ruined my elementary school years and now busy ruining my days @ high school, but now that i have been diagnosed i know why certain things have happened. You guys have some advice ?

TcV

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 8:41 am

Hey dude,

How are you?

Welcome To wp

Any question feel free to ask them

:)

TcV
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2006, 8:43 am

thanks man appreciate it :o

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 8:44 am

woman

lol

Featherways
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2006, 9:02 am

Hello

Well, at least you know why. I hadn't realised I fitted the Aspie profile until fairly recently in my life, and I spend a lot of time looking back over the past and thinking "good grief, no wonder I didn't cope with that". It has helped me to stop blaming myself for not being able to understand social things, and helped me to balance what I take on so I know what I can cope with.

It's not a bad thing to know what kind of person we are. I heard a great quote on here the other day saying that those with AS might be the next step in human evolution. It's a positive way of looking at things.

What's positive about AS? I can only explain from my point of view. Some things - I keep going with things long, long after other people give up so I can end up achieving far more than they can (if I focus right in the first place). I can see patterns in numbers that are important, and others can't. I tell the truth instead of spending my time lying and doing politics etc, and I think that's a good thing.

What's negative about it? Again, I can only explain from my point of view. I find big social situations very, very difficult unless I can make up my own rules and leave when I want to. I find it hard to drop doing something even if it's not helping me. I find it difficult making friends and I have no idea if I've done things right in friendships, but I try anyway and I have made some good friends, thank goodness. I hate something that doesn't make sense or is unfair or unjust - I just can't switch off from it at all.

everyone here will have their own list of things they find easy, and things they find hard, but it's really a different way of looking at the world. It doesn't have to be "a problem".

TcV
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2006, 9:11 am

Thanks man your info is very usefull :o

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2006, 5:49 pm

Hi TcV, and welcome.

I only got my diagnosis as an adult, and I found it explained a lot of my childhood. I expect you are finding the same.

I found school really tough, but it was a million times better when I started work. I found that the people were already so diverse that it was not so obvious that I did not fit in.

I think my AS is an integral part of my personality, and I would not be without it. There are things I find difficult, especially when I am expected to communicate with people, but other people find it hard to be themselves when they are trying so hard to fit in with everyone else. My AS gives me the freedom to be my true self, without being upset by other people's opinions.

TcV
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2006, 1:31 am

lucker :) . yeah social things are very hard for me two, school aint so bad, i mean my grades are high but everyone @ school is just a pain in the ass :| .
ahh well i'll manage :wink:

thanks

TcV

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 1:45 am

The trick is to truly not care what they think... to be emotionally uninvolved. They aren't the sort of people whom you want for a friend; so why would you want them to think well of you? It simply doesn't matter.

If you can do that (and I'll admit it's a hard trick), then embarassment, annoyance, and whatnot will be easier to handle. Embarrassment fades; bruises heal (though if they're physically hurting you I'd suggest you find somebody who's willing to help you do something about it). But if they can't get to who you are--can't convince you of their opinion of you--then you'll get through it all right.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TcV
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2006, 3:29 pm

thanks dude i'll keep it in mind :)

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Sep 2006, 1:38 am

I had a lot of bullies and that sort of thing at my school, but I don't think it was because I acted different (but acting different certanly didn't help). They always called me Mr. Bean because, guess what, I apparently look like Mr. Bean. I prefer Rowan Atkinson. Anyway, I didn't take any of this because of my logic saying "Of course not, I don't look like him. Besides, they're just idiots.".

School has actually been a nice place to go to because I've got a nice group of friends I can go to who treat me like a normal person, but when I don't, they adjust and we all have a good time. I actually have two of 'em, and if I'm 'bored' of one group I can just go over to the other one. Typing this now makes me realise I'm a lot luckier than other people around here, as browsing about has showed me. Heck, there's even a kid at my school where I KNOW he got a much worse case of Asperger's than me and he has a good group of friends and an ejonyable High school. He used to annoy the hell out of me, though (but things have changed...).

Sorry if I made you feel down! My advice is to (somehow) find someone who accepts people for who they are. At my school, we have about 80 of em! If you find a group of these people, you don't have to change as much, because they accept who you are and your differences. In fact, just knowing WHY you act different can be an aid into making them accept you. But then again, it might not ("Ha ha, ASPIE!! !" <Ugh...). Anyway, one of my closest friends is a rocker who likes System of a Down and stuff blowing up and all this demonic stuff, and yet we still get along as two best friends playing such games as Jak and Daxter and Crash Bandicoot.

I probably knew I had Asperger's since I was thirteen, but only now at the age of sixteen have I started to fully appreciate it (sparked off by meeting an aspie on GameFAQs and sealed after reading 'Curious Incident' by Mark Haddon). My advice? Just ride out the river of life where it takes you, but be sure to steer your way out of the rapids, and to paddle your way into the enjoyable bits.

Phew! Wall of Text of Doom!! !

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 3:45 am

i was bullied because i was very silent/polite + very short (5'4 now at age 24)