How do you feel when you hear a REALLY loud sound?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

How do you feel when you hear a really loud sound? I really HATE any thing loud. For me when I hear something loud its hard to explain but its like its almost painful. Its hard to describe but its really awful. How do you feel when you hear a loud sound?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2011, 9:16 pm

I also find most loud noises painful in there own way. I don't like loud noises. They can make me mad. I feel like banging the wall. At school we have really loud fire alarms---they sound like super loud crickets chirping. I cover my ears as I exit the building. Loud noises make me feel like I am in another dimension disconnected from myself. I often feel fuzzy in my head with loud noises. In many of our local parades, the legion puts in a motorized boxcar with a cannon on top that fires loud blanks. I have disliked that thing for as long as I can remember (it's been in parades since I was a little child---I dreaded it then and I dread it now). At the last Memorial Day parade I saw it in, it was firing its cannon near me and my instinct caused me to yell at the guys in the boxcar to stop firing the cannon, "Shut that cannon up..it's too loud!! !" Even with my ears covered, that thing is too loud. In addition to loud noises, I also find many repetitive noises to be irritating.

What is it with many of us with autism and loud noises? Is our hearing super sensitive? Or is it that these noises are just plain annoying to us? I feel they interfere with my comfort zone like some vulgar trespasser. I failed a hearing test in school once because when the nurse put the headphones on me and let the audible beep sound in my right ear, I also heard it in my left ear---so I said I heard it in my left ear. And I failed. After explaining this to her, she retested me and I passed. I can often hear distant soft conversations that others cannot hear. Sometimes in the quiet of my bed, I think I can hear my own heart beating.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm

Depends what Hz range its dominating.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

skenasis
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Oct 2011, 9:25 pm

I feel like someone's got nails on a chalkboard going on inside my head.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

Like I am made entirely of kidney and gallstones being blasted into smithereens by the really loud noises.

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2011, 9:42 pm

I have tinnitus, so I always have this noise going on, but sometimes it gets so loud I think it's never going to stop and I'm going to lose my mind.

I had another incident of exploding head syndrome yesterday. I'm just glad it's not painful, because it's really the loudest thing you will ever hear, but you are the only one who hears it.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

I was driving home a while ago with my side window open, when an un-muffled motorcycle (with large displacement motor) went by from the other way.

It was quiet from the front, but very loud from the side, so I wasn't expecting it (if I can anticipate a loud sound, it helps) and it got past my "filter" and then it felt like all of my skin had suddenly been ripped off (all other senses ramped way up). Instant meltdown, but it didn't last very long, and I was able to drive until I could safely pull over, fortunately.

Like someone else said, it depends on the sound, though. Vacuum cleaners, coffee grinders, and etc. at any volume trigger a massive fear response in me (like it does with cats).

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

If I am making the really-loud-sound, I usually feel pretty awesome.

If it is coming from a band on stage that I enjoy, it makes we want to stim, in the form of thrashing about or crowd surfing.

If it is a surprise, my PTSD kicks into overwatch, and I start to see and experience life in slow motion. I stay in overwatch until I am absolutely certain that there is no immediate threat to myself or other humans (& kittens) in my vicinity. It takes a couple days for my nerves to settle afterwards.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

03 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

I'll literally scream and jump at every loud noise. I also resist the urge to cover up my ears, but I'll do it on accident. That happened in my fifth period class today, and someone asked me if I was autistic. 8O

How did they know?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I'll literally scream and jump at every loud noise. I also resist the urge to cover up my ears, but I'll do it on accident. That happened in my fifth period class today, and someone asked me if I was autistic. 8O

How did they know?

Yes sounds like me. May close my eyes and shake my head too. Overall I panic.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 10:03 pm

Angry!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2011, 10:14 pm

If it's a person making it, I feel angry, almost inclined to commit violence. If it's just a thing causing it, I'm shaken up and just want to get away.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm

I don't like loud voices they are annoying.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 12:06 am

It's like nails on a chalkboard, or biting into metal. It's physically painful.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 3:31 am

This morning, my friend was holding something that looked like a tiny hockey stick. I asked her what it was and then heard this bang. I jumped and grabbed my chest (as if my heart was about to jump out of it). It was a pop gun.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 3:32 am

It really depends on the noise and whether my brain registers it. I have CAPD so sometimes there could be an explosion or something right behind my head and I just won't react to it even though I have heard it!

Things that really set me off though are crying babies, screaming kids (no, not planning on having one of those anytime soon!), screeching noises, REALLY high pitched noises and doors banging.

I actually react worse to noises which most people would either ignore or just get a little annoyed about. Low humming sounds, bass music from cars and the high pitched noise from MP3 players. I have had to stop myself going on a headphone cutting spree on the bus many a time!