Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Featherways
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2006, 9:09 am

Today I came across a good example of how life is really, really difficult sometimes.

I had to go for a blood test. They told me to turn up any time between 7.30 and 10am, so I picked a time sort of in the middle. When I got there, there were 12 people waiting, and no system in place to say who was first. Everyone just arrives and stands or sits in a group, trying to remember who was before them. I have no clue how to do this as it's really hard to work out enough of the faces to recognise who was there first and who arrived afterwards. When it was my turn, I hadn't realised, but everyone else knew it was me.

It must be really easy for NTs to do. I wish they'd realise not everyone is NT.

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2006, 10:38 am

I still have forms sitting around for blood tests I have never had, because if I arrive and there are alot of people waiting, I just leave. It is too hard to work out & I have to get out of there!

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2006, 12:31 pm

Featherways wrote:
I have no clue how to do this as it's really hard to work out enough of the faces to recognise who was there first and who arrived afterwards. When it was my turn, I hadn't realised, but everyone else knew it was me.

The "How To" books would probably suggest that when you arrive, you should quietly inform a receptionist that you have Asperger's and request that he/she or the lab technician let you know when it's your turn. But I think that's so unfair. We have enough trouble understanding and communicating with NTs, or getting them to understand and respect us! This kind of situation forces us to present ourselves in terms of our "shortcomings", and of needing help.

So I'd probably avoid the situation altogether by finding a different doctors' office where they run their operations more professionally.
________________________________________________________________________________
"the largest disability... [for those with AS] is the inability of non-autistic culture to accommodate their differences in respectful, empowering, and constructive ways" -- Donna Williams

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2006, 1:37 pm

I get my blood drawn quarterly, and went to a new endocrinologist two months ago. I arrived at the time they stated they opened, and was the first one there. (The doors were still locked). As the crowd made its way in, I got to the sign in book first, and was the first name listed. (I am always in a hurry, I really can't miss much time from work).

There were at least a dozen or more of us sitting in the "waiting for labs" area, and about 15 mins later names began to be called. Most of the others waiting were elderly and clearly had nowhere to be but breakfast after this. After the 3rd name was called and it wasn't me I summoned up the courage to ask the girl at the desk in front of everyone when it would be my turn. She said when my name came up. I explained my name was at the top of the list, so perhaps I was accidentally skipped?

Nope. Apparently they play a cute little game where they call from the *bottom* of the list. Uggghhh. I was infuriated.

I've never gone back there.

Oh, yeah, and I'm "NT". It still sucks.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2006, 1:53 pm

Just get there first 8)

Featherways
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2006, 2:06 pm

The only other alternative was to go to the main hospital in the nearest town, battle with the multi-storey car parking, find the right department etc. Ten times more stressful and time-consuming. No receptionist at all at this place.
Getting there first seems like the best possible plan. I think I will try that if I have to go again.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 8:11 pm

I devised this useful method, which works great when the line you're about to get into is, well... not in a straight line. In other words, when there's a randomly scattered group of people in a room. Simply ask: "Where does the line end?" or "Who's the last person in line?", directing the question to everyone at the same time. In both cases, someone will speak up. Remember who answered, and make sure to go directly after that person.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 3:40 am

That is not even a good plan for NTs. I haven't really been in situations where there was no organization in a waiting room. I am a very impatient person, so I tend to try to be the first one to arrive early, even if an hour before opening. But, many places use the number method. You pick a number, and then they call the number. That's how most of these places should be run, I think.

- Ray M -

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2006, 7:16 am

Indeed Aeturnus it's not a good plan for NT's also. They alway try to cheat in lines, going in while it's not even their turn. Bastards :evil:

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Sep 2006, 2:46 pm

That reminds me of when I was younger and needed to get my hair cut, Poeple in the barbers shop didn't sit in a queue or in the order that they arivced, but just sat anywhere.

I used to find it really difficult to remember who was there before me and who got in after me. Sometimes when it came to my turn, someone would point to me when the guy asked 'who's next'

lol