Web/mobile interactions rather than face to face

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hEllo_Moto
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2011, 7:01 am

I'm not sure how many people on here would agree with me, since some people with AS I've met feel their lives have improved since being able to interact on the web instead of face to face. But, I just don't understand why anyone would prefer to talk via text messages or messenger programs.

I mean, NTs are doing this as well. I think it's a real shame when people are on their mobiles every 10 minutes, checking up on their son who's at school (so why the need to call?) or to check that they're winning on some Facebook application, or just texting others. You can be in beautiful place, or having an interesting conversation, and then they feel the need to call/text someone/browse the web, which I was brought up to think was very rude. There's even this mobile advert that came out recently which was quite funny. It's just so true, people are on their mobiles too much, like they can't live without them. It's almost as if it's a good excuse when there's a break in the conversation that you can use your phone as a distraction, rather than trying to bring up conversation. This, and the fact that people are using the internet to make friends instead can't be good for people, surely.

And, I'm not on Facebook anymore because I hated it. It was full of adverts, and people who didn't really want to be friends with me on there would add me, yet not talk to me on there or IRL. It was too weird for me.

Anyway, the cinema advert: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lUEDBuoT7c&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2011, 8:05 am

Aargh. Everyone in that video irritated me. I guess to fit in these days you need an extremely nasal voice, say inane things, barely finish your sentences, and act like you're super caffeinated.

As for the the use of mobile devices, being so fragmented in life is likely changing the way people think. Also, it's disturbing when others make electronics a consistent priority.

If you shut your phone off, will you and the world cease to exist?

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2011, 9:46 am

safffron wrote:
Aargh. Everyone in that video irritated me. I guess to fit in these days you need an extremely nasal voice, say inane things, barely finish your sentences, and act like you're super caffeinated.

It's a joke.

In response to the topic at hand, I feel the same way. I have a number of friends now who will organise social events exclusively through Facebook, usually by posting a status update to the tone of 'who wants to see movie/come to the bar/etc'. This means if I'm not online 24/7 I miss out on a lot of things. It's getting more and more frequent among my circle of friends. Even my housemates seem to prefer discussing matters online rather than simply stepping out of their bedrooms. I don't want to be caught up on my phone or laptop all the time, and although I understand the convenience of Facebook nothing beats talking face to face or even a quick phonecall. It makes me sad to think this is the way things are heading with our generation!

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2011, 10:41 am

ruckus wrote:
I have a number of friends now who will organise social events exclusively through Facebook, usually by posting a status update to the tone of 'who wants to see movie/come to the bar/etc'. This means if I'm not online 24/7 I miss out on a lot of things.

This sounds incredibly familiar. As a student who doesn't get involved in many things to begin with, I always seem to miss out on opportunities like parties and such because I'm not on Facebook 24/7. Even worse is the fact that everybody's updates are always there in the stream is incredibly annoying. Like you can never tune anybody out. In this aspect Google+ might actually be a bit better.

For hEllo_Moto and all the other posters is: does the amount of information you receive about other people's lives make you annoyed with them? For me, this is the case 100% of the time.

This discussion makes me wonder why I don't just delete my profile.

hEllo_Moto
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2011, 10:57 am

nortier wrote:
For hEllo_Moto and all the other posters is: does the amount of information you receive about other people's lives make you annoyed with them? For me, this is the case 100% of the time.

God yes. I had a couple of friends who posted all the time. Lots of mundane updates such as, "Just having a nice cup of tea" or, one person who one minute would go, "Oh, I feel so depressed" then later on "Oh, I'm so happy". It's like they would use it as a twitter application, so annoying.

nortier wrote:
This discussion makes me wonder why I don't just delete my profile.

And it makes me wonder why I've just created one again. :D I do hate Facebook though, but I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out. Am I really, though? :?