South Park doing an Aspergers episode

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 2:01 pm

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/39 ... ss-release

I wonder if it's going to be like the tourettes episode, where Cartman tries to exploit a real condition for his benefit, until it eventually begins to overtake him...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 2:10 pm

How many of these threads am I going to see here?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 2:39 pm

You know, this could be a really good thing. Of course, it is South Park, so they are going to likely offend people, but this could be a rather interesting way to "come out of the closet" so to speak.

Just saw the preview... LMFAO! :lol:

yellowLedbetter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

I am SO excited! For a while I was actually offended that they HADN'T parodied Asperger's - okay that's an exaggeration, but South Park is supposed to be an equal opportunity offender. I think it's great because South Park is one of the best satirical shows ever, and if anyone can get Asperger's right and still make it funny it's them. I know autism isn't something you're supposed to joke about, but I think making humor from what can be a tough situation is always helpful

Giant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

Eric Cartman never struck me as a character that was even remotely autistic. I wonder how they're going to make it work. My guess would be poorly as the quality of the show has gone way down hill in my opinion. I think it's hard to really depict Asperger Syndrome accurately and fairly. I don't see the result as having a positive effect on the public perception of an already misunderstood condition. And I hate to say that as I consider myself at least somewhat of a fan as I really liked the earlier episodes but except for a few episodes, I think the last few seasons were absolute garbage. I think it's long past time for Matt and Trey to pack it in and work on something else instead of finding weirder and more obscure concepts for new episodes. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

Eric Cartman hardly has any friends because he is a jerk and he only thinks of himself and puts his needs first. He also doesn't care about other people. Now it's going to the Asperger's that did it I bet.

Thelostcup
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

My guess is that they're going to make fun of those people that say they have it to excuse being a fuckwad.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

I'll see if I can watch it online. I got rid of cable a few months ago.

The last time I saw South Park was the episode where one of the characters was on Wheel of Fortune.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 3:50 pm

Awww, I really wanted to see it but it won't let you watch if if you live in the UK or Ireland.

KinetiK
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2011, 3:52 pm

Giant wrote:
Eric Cartman never struck me as a character that was even remotely autistic. I wonder how they're going to make it work. My guess would be poorly as the quality of the show has gone way down hill in my opinion. I think it's hard to really depict Asperger Syndrome accurately and fairly. I don't see the result as having a positive effect on the public perception of an already misunderstood condition. And I hate to say that as I consider myself at least somewhat of a fan as I really liked the earlier episodes but except for a few episodes, I think the last few seasons were absolute garbage. I think it's long past time for Matt and Trey to pack it in and work on something else instead of finding weirder and more obscure concepts for new episodes. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Since there have been episodes where Cartman has pretended to have Tourette's/ADHD/mental retardation for his own self-gain, I'm assuming this episode will have a similar premise.

If anyone in the South Park universe actually has Asperger's, it's Butters. He reminds me so much of how I was when I was younger: always wanting to fit in, but being overly naieve/oblivious and never quite "getting it".

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

KinetiK wrote:
Giant wrote:

Since there have been episodes where Cartman has pretended to have Tourette's/ADHD/mental retardation for his own self-gain, I'm assuming this episode will have a similar premise.

If anyone in the South Park universe actually has Asperger's, it's Butters. He reminds me so much of how I was when I was younger: always wanting to fit in, but being overly naieve/oblivious and never quite "getting it".

This is what usually happens when "cartman" and "mental disorder" are put in the same sentence... This is what happens when it catches up to him later in the episode...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

KinetiK wrote:
Giant wrote:

I can relate to Butters too but I think they exaggerated his gullibility and naivety because I don't think anyone be that dense. Well it's South Park so they are going to exaggerate it.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Awww, I really wanted to see it but it won't let you watch if if you live in the UK or Ireland.

*Cough* proxy

Quote:
If anyone in the South Park universe actually has Asperger's, it's Butters.

Butters might seem a likely candidate because he gets picked on so much, but he is really sadistic, like in the male fart vs queff episode, or when Cartman and Wendy were gonna fight about breast cancer. He's not as innocent as he appears at first glance.

Kyle would be just as good a candidate what with his honesty and play by the rules attitude.

South Park is a good show

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

I'd really love if they had a aspie character and situation like the caveman from 1996. A kind of normal guy that doesn't get some stuff but everyone else overreacts and condescends.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 5:12 pm

League_Girl wrote:
How many of these threads am I going to see here?

I know right?

I was going to do one about this but I just knew loads of threads would be spilling out.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

I could see Mr. Garrison teaching the class about Asperger's, but spelling it "ass burgers" on the blackboard.