04 Nov 2012, 9:08 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Television, Film, and Video]

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

TalusJumper wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Southpark is modeled after Littleton, Colorado. I don't really like Southpark, anyway.

Actually, Fairplay, Colorado is the model for Southpark.

Yeah that is actually true, though there is some area in littleton called southpark, but I don't even know if its a whole town or anything or just part of littleton.

MadCowChicken3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Nov 2012, 12:02 am

Quote:
Oh well. Here we go again...

followed by...

Quote:
I actually enjoyed the episode and thought of the jokes and insults about Asperger's as a parody of how some people still view and portray Asperger's. Seriously, the last thing we need is another Tom Cruise or 2 million+ Tom Cruise's.

Note: Tom Cruise is the only person other than Muslims to be offended by South Park portrayal.

LOL

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 12:53 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I actually enjoyed the episode and thought of the jokes and insults about Asperger's as a parody of how some people still view and portray Asperger's. Seriously, the last thing we need is another Tom Cruise or 2 million+ Tom Cruise's.

Note: Tom Cruise is the only person other than Muslims to be offended by South Park portrayal.

What about Barbara Streisand?

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 3:54 am

Alexender wrote:
The reason that south park does not offend me- It tries to offend every one in every way. It is an equal opportunity employer (except for scientology)

South Park doesn't offend me either, i thought their portrayal of people with Apsergers in the Ass-Burgers episode was harmless and and downright funny in places. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are equal opportunity offenders, but i think they should pack it in after 20 seasons before they get stale like the Simpsons.

Still, South Park is miles funnier than Family Guy.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 11:08 am

DerStadtschutz wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

OH!! ! I totally forgot her. She actually gets hit by South Park more than anyone. She actually bashed South Park and then Matt and Trey got back at her in "Mecha Streisand" and several other episodes since.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
DerStadtschutz wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

OH!! ! I totally forgot her. She actually gets hit by South Park more than anyone. She actually bashed South Park and then Matt and Trey got back at her in "Mecha Streisand" and several other episodes since.

That will be the "200" and "201" episodes, where the up-graded Mecha Streisand returns.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 3:12 pm

LexingtonDeville wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
DerStadtschutz wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

That will be the "200" and "201" episodes, where the up-graded Mecha Streisand returns.

There was another moment where they did their 2nd Halloween Special and covered all 4 corners of the screen with Barbara Streisand and calling it "Spooky Vision." Then there was a 9/11 episode with a scene featuring Osama Bin Laden falling in love with camel and Cartman holds up a few signs showing how stupid he is and one of them is a picture of Barbara Streisand.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 7:01 pm

If people were actually offended by this episode, then they're missing the point of Matt Stone and Trey Parker. It wasn't made to mock people with a disorder, but it was probably meant as a call out directed at parents who claim that their depressed tweenaged/teenaged children have the disorder.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

I found the family guy portrayal offensive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tflQiq9kt-Yhttp://[/youtube]

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2012, 8:31 pm

SammichEater wrote:
It's South Park. This is a television show that makes jokes about everything. It doesn't surprise me.

Yet at the same time, is preachy as hell.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:21 pm

This only proves that Family Guy has jumped the shark.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:22 pm

blackelk wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
It's South Park. This is a television show that makes jokes about everything. It doesn't surprise me.

Indeed it is, but I think it does a good job at what it preaches. it seems to try to look at most situations from both perspectives and point out the stupidity inherent in both sides, and it also tries to promote a middle ground of some sort. This doesn't ALWAYS happen, but most of the time. I feel that's the best approach, honestly. Family Guy gets preachy too sometimes, but the difference is that in family guy, it picks a side(usually the extreme left side) and then portrays the other side as completely ret*d. I don't like that. I tend to agree with both sides on certain things, but never with the idea that either side is good or bad. They're both about equal. Like, the liberal suggestion that foreign people have a right to retain their culture makes plenty of sense. However, at the same time, if you're going to come to america, you need to learn to assimilate some of our culture too. Like, You should probably learn english because that's what most people speak. I wouldn't expect to go to russia and have english signs all over the place or have everyone speak english to cater to me. That would just be ridiculous. But then the liberal idea that guns are terrible and need to be taken away from everybody, I don't agree with one bit. I also hate how the liberals are obsessed with politically correct speech and euphemisms. I think honest, direct language is better. Screw being politically correct; Just be CORRECT.

Basically, my philosophy is that you should be able to do what you want as long as you don't harm anyone else in the process. And offending someone doesn't fall under the category of harm.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 3:39 am

blackelk wrote:
SammichEater wrote:

Preachy or not, it's still the funniest thing on TV, on a social and political level. And it still wipes the floor with Family Guy, especially the "Jackin' It" song and the Sarcastaball episode.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 2:52 pm

It's South park. What did you expect, a wholesome, intelligent and positive show about Asperger's, created by highly educated writers? :roll: You'd think the "shock factor" of this show being as offensive as possible would have worn off on people by now. I haven't watched South Park in years and don't plan to start again any time soon.

frohman2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2012, 5:03 am

I don't care much if they make dumb assumptions that are pretty stereotyped. They do that to everyone.
They are known to push things over the limit, so that's pretty much what I think of it.